SACDs going Out Of Print: master list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I gotta say, I've yet to find a hybrid SACD that didn't play in both formats. I even have the new 3 Doors Down "17 Days" Dual Disc which has the advanced rez side in 24/96 (for some reason, the previous album's DD, Away from the Sun, is lower quality) and it plays, but I can't hear it! I think it might only work in digital outs, not analog.

You can't piss on something that you don't even know exists. I know a LOT of people (granted, I work with an office of music people) that are REALLY into vinyl. Everyone from classic rock fans, to jazz fans to DJs who'll scrape the bottom of the barrel looking for the latest samples and these are not all audiophiles either.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The comparison between SACD and LP being niche formats is fine except for one thing. I don't believe any company has to pay a royalty to another to release an LP!

3. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I think that we'll see SACD players for a while yet, as more companies are releasing cheap multi-format disc playes that include SACD and DVD-A. Even if only smaller specialty labels keep putting out SACDs, this might be enough to keep things going (in that regard it would be interesting to know how many turntable users there are out there and how many comanies are producing vinyl LPs...).

The problem that SACD had from the outset was the high price of the players - for a couple of years, only hardened audiophiles would have taken the plunge. I was chomping at the bit but I couldn't afford one. The lack of promotion and availability of discs didn't help either. It was a marketing opportunity missed...

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

What Sam said. Let's get this topic back on OOP SACD titles please. This thread was not intended to discuss the failure of the format in general. If you wish to discuss it, start another thread--it makes searching for topics that much easier in the future. Thanks!

5. SACD at Tower Records

I was in a Tower Records the other day and I couldn't find ANY SACD or DVD-A discs. I finally asked a clerk if they had ant SACD discs. He said the they were located in the Classical/Jazz section of the store?????? Sure enough, they had a large selection of SACD and DVD-A discs, including Pop/Rock and Roll discs, located in the Classical/Jazz room.

I thought that this was a very strange way to market these discs. I picked up a couple of Rolling Stones discs and asked the person at the register if they were the CD/SACD discs. He said, "I have no idea what you are talking about." How about that?

John

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Ignorance with the sales staff at music stores sure doesn't help. :realmad:

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I went around and finished my Stones SACD collection today. The Best Buys and Media Plays around here have lots in stock (except for the UK Out of Our Heads). If anyone is looking for a particular title let me know. I'll see if they have it. :)

BTW, I'm looking for the UK Out of Our Heads SACD.

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Jamie,

Make up your mind! :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

9. MemphisJim

MemphisJim New Member

Must Have's?

Hi All-

Is there a list of 4 or 5 MUST have's that I (or anyone) should get before it's too late?

I've got most of the dylans, joel-stranger, time out, ah um, layla, eat a peach, several rolling stones, dsotm, cooke portrait and live, several elton's, both vince giraldi's...

There are numerous others that I'd like to have, but I'd rather get the best sonically before it's too late.

Thanks!
    Jim

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Boston is the best sounding digital version released, IMHO. Mark Wilder mastered it and it sounds great.

I like most of those Sony SACDs. Those guys do a great job. Some are even flat from the tapes without EQ. :righton:

Alison Krauss- Forget About It. Different mastering than the CD. Much improved.

The Living Stereo discs are great.

Meat Loaf- Bat Out Of Hell- Vic Anesini mastered. Best it'll probably ever sound.

Keane. Better 2 channel mastering than the CD.

Don't forget Steve mastered CCR, The Searchers, The Zombies and Donovan SACDs.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:laugh: Sorry. I meant almost finished my collection. :)

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Jamie, do you have the SACD for "New Favorite"? If so, how is it?

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I only have Forget About It. I need to get those other discs before they go away.

The Nickel Creek albums on SACD are good also. Same engineer.

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Jamie,

Good?..... They're GRRRRRRRRREAT! :thumbsup:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

15. Jim,

I have heard good things about Joel's The Stranger. I have An Innocent Man on SACD and I think it sounds terrible!! Very bright with strong sibilance. Almost impossible to listen to. Does Stranger have the same problems?

By the way, a GREAT sounding SACD is Celine Dion's "All The Way..A Decade of SOng". Great sound with nice dynamics. IMHO it is the best sounding SACD that I have.

John

16. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

I have this and as I recall, it sounds fine, although I don't have the redbook CD to compare it to. My favorite SACD of hers is Now That I've Found You, although more for the content than the sonics (which were also fine, as I recall). I haven't sat down and listened to these since making some changes in my system; I should revisit them. If I do, I'll report here.

17. MemphisJim

MemphisJim New Member

John,

I just listened to it again to refresh my memory. This sacd sounds great. WOW! Well, I should at least quantify this - it is a great reproduction of a studio rock album. Very well balanced overall. Well, maybe a little weak on the bottom end, but I suspect that it was recorded that way. I highly recommend this one!

btw, I listened to it on my Ellis 1801 speakers running flat.

I was going to get Innocent Man, but you've talked me out of it...bummer. I wish it were as good as Stranger.

Jim

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Still unemployed?

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Be on the lookout for the Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather SACD. It's long gone from store shelves, unless you are extremely lucky, but it shows up on eBay every so often.

I also recommend the Alison Krauss SACDs (all of them). Great music and great sonics there.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What does it usually go for on ebay?

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I've got 2 of the 3 Clapton SACD's, "461 Ocean Blvd." and "Layla" and really like them.

I've got "Slowhand" at the top of my "To get" list.

22. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I recently got the George Harrison/Live in Japan SACD used for $13.99! It's in pretty good shape. Interesting jewel case (big spindle). Do they make other SACD jewel cases that hold more than one disc (i.e. in the style of the jewel cases for the re-released Fleetwod Mac title)?

Re: SVR's "Texas Flood." What's up with the Bonus track: "SRV Speaks" and those live bonus tracks...do they distract from the original cuts?
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:14rx286c05ja

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Try here:

http://www.sleevetown.com/super-jewel-boxes.shtml

RE: SRV.. the bonus tracks start several seconds after the end of the original material, plenty of time to hit Stop.

24. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The redbook version of that CD sounds excellent. :thumbsup:

25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.