SACDs going Out Of Print: master list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Yet another fine example of Sony trying to "own" a format. Betamax, Minidisc, SACD, etc. These guys will never learn....I agree that non-hybrid discs potentially killed the market as many of the early ones were single layer and undoubtedly scared away potential customers that weren't looking to buy a new player right away.

2. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I understand that SACDs didn't sell as many units as the record companies would've liked (and I agree that lack of promotion, available titles, etc., contributed to that), but for many titles EVERY COPY MADE SOLD! What more could the companies ask for? Why stop printing/selling them? If every copy of a title that was printed sold, the companies must have made at least SOME profit on it, so why not make some more discs and make some more profit? I just don't understand it, but there seems to be a definite lack of business sense here. Makes me pretty unsympathetic to companies crying lost profits from digital copying! They should get their own house in order before they start blaming others.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Larry,

It appears to me that you do understand it! :agree:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

4. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

They want big numbers, and these aren't sufficiently so....

5. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I think Sony was pretty successful with that other format they 'owned' - the compact disc. In any event, it's kind of ridiculous to suggest that the SACD market was killed by a lack of hybrid discs during the initial launch.

SACD offers no added convenience vs. CDs, and the sound quality improvements are subtle at best. Considering that most people are perfectly happy with CD sound, and that MP3s and digital downloads are the big things, it's amazing that the format has survived as long as it has.

6. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Of course there are no convienience improvements but the sound quality improvements to me are quite substantial not subtle. I guess this is all a matter of opinion.

7. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

Opinion sure, and experience and HW tools. Many people is happy with an IPOD and do not care of quality, or listens to music in a car. How many listeners have a room at disposition for quality listenings? sure a good number , but normally they are in Classic/Jazz area. Then IMHO vinyl is still the best stuff we can choose, and step by step is moving well....
    (if they only do chavez ravine...) and it seems me still best hi-rez source...

8. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Agree that you need the dedicated room. Don't agree about the vinyl. Especially vinyl that is sourced from a digital recording. All a matter of opinion I guess.

9. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Ah, and I also agree about the MP3's and IPOD's. Hate it.

10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

IMO, the sonic improvements of DSD over redbook are substantial. I felt this way, within 10 seconds, on the first SACD i ever listened to.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

11. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Exactly. How can anyone say otherwise? Don't understand it.

12. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Exactly my experience!

13. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I do. These discs were like foreign objects to most consumers. Keep in mind that many of the people on this format will take chances on new technology. They are an incredibly small minority. Most people aren't going to run out and spend hundreds of dollars just to play a couple SACDs when they are convinced CD sounds fine because it doesn't have those nasty pops and clicks of vinyl and are somewhat indestructible.

Also, many of the discs were priced higher than their CD counterparts, as they were never on sale and hardly ever featured in any record or electronics stores. Most people seem to be jumping for joy over DVD (which will die off in a few years when they run out of new releases), but can't audibly hear major improvements. And if they do, can't justify a purchase of a new player to play a few discs that they can't play in their cars or upload to an iPod.

I have a friend who is a huge music fan and is a computer/tech geek who buys all kinds of CDs and DVDs who had no idea what a DVD-A was until a couple years ago. I asked if he had heard of SACD and he had no clue what it was.

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It doesn't matter if they run out of new releases. They'll just keep re-releasing new versions of the already released stuff, like they're doing already. I'm still hoping for a good Blade Runner.

15. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. The marketing sucked. People were happy with what they had already. Most people now will not sit down and actually listen to music without video. They will continue to move around and because of this they can't tell what is good and what is bad. You have to sit and listen to form opinions. However, when you add the video part the person usually will sit down and watch the video. It holds their attention. This is why DVD will do better. Not because of the sound quality but because the sound goes along with the moving pictures which they can't see unless they sit down or stay transfixed in front of the screen.

16. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

This is what bothers me about the CDs are too expensive debate. You can listen to a CD a thousand times in your house, at the gym, driving in your car, cleaning your yard, etc. But, DVDs are priced right for most people (or the people who are just figuring out CD burning and haven't gotten to DVD burning yet) even though you have to sit stationery doing nothing else to watch it.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Seems to have disappeared from the sonymusicstore site also. I guess I should buy it. There's a bunch around here still, last time I looked (although I haven't looked recently....hmmmm). I'm not too into Billy Joel.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

You may want to check again.. The Stranger has dried up from all retail stores in my area.

Anybody else having trouble finding "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD? Seems to have never been restocked at Best Buy, Circuit City's a no-go.

19. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Non-Hybrid discs never should have existed. How can the pro-SACD DualDisc bashers trash the latter format as confusing after the whole SACD mess?

20. SamS

Hoping we can keep this one on track for OOP SACDs. Thanks.

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Best Buy had The Stranger SACD for $14.99, so I bought it. Has the plastic slipcase though.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I believe there is enough interest in Super Audio among jazz and classical fans to keep it around for years. Look at what happened to vinyl: CD fans pissed all over the format but in many ways you can only get the best sounding and definitive albums in that format still.

I see the music industry devolving a bit into many sub-markets...the mass market is being replaced by iTunes and redbook and SACD. There is no good reason to think we can't have all three for many years. The wild card is Blu-Ray or whatever wins hidef...if that helps establish a standard (unlikely at this point) I could see a new format riding on the hidef movie DVD replacement wave.

23. SamS

Yes, it's been years since I saw the original cardboard case for that one. Mine came with originally. For some reason, the copies of 52nd St. 5.1 SACD seem to be rather common with the older slipcase.

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

They had several 52nd St in the older case, and that one with "Uptown Girl" also.

25. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Damm right.
    :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.