SACDs going Out Of Print: master list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Even if Amazon doesn't have this anymore, you can still pick up a sealed copy on ebay for around $13.00.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I always thought this myself. A title goes OOP immeadiately after the first pressing of an SACD, the stock justs floats around until it is sold out.

3. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

They can't be appropriately released on vinyl either, IMO. :)

For decades now, with many formats like vinyl, cd, 8-track, reel to reel, etc. we have many albums that are divided between separate media depending on the format. Nothing new here, and no cause for concern.

4. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Well, I guess that depends on whether getting up to change disc in the middle of an extended classical work or having labels delete cuts to fit a release on one disc concerns you. I'm not against DD, if done correctly, but this limitation is a step backwards.

5. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I'm a pop/rock guy. I bet those classical fans must hate vinyl.

As far as labels deleting cuts, that reminds me of the early days of CD, I remember chopped albums by Tom Petty, Little Feat. These days they just press a second disc.

6. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Actually, Michael, I think they do! Classical listeners were among the first in line in the mass exodus from LP to CD. What percentage of LPs in your average thrift store are classical stuff no-one will ever buy?

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I am sure this is true.

For certain SACD titles, there are different pressings from different countries.....like CDs/records. I was able to pick up an Austrian pressing of the single-layer multi-channel SACD of "Kind of Blue" off of ebay (just because it has a slipcover entirely different from those in the US). However, I don't know whether the total number of copies pressed stayed the same.

8. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I've also read that the audio layer is thinner than CD standard, making it more prone to damage.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think that SACD will become a niche in the market. Therefore, it will have limited issues much the same as DCC, AF, and MFSL. My problem is cash flow. I can't afford to buy everything I want that is out there. Maybe overtime, but sometimes these titles go oop and end up on ebay for too much money.

10. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I don't understand: if SACDs are selling well enough to be oop, why don't the record companies continue to print them? If "Couldn't Stand the Weather" is in demand and fetching high prices on ebay, why doesn't Sony print and sell some more?

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Possibly the term of the licensing has expired.

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Maybe they're already retooling their SACD factories to support the new digital download distribution model that all the big record labels are starting to embrace.

:biglaugh:

Craig(VC).

13. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Excellent question with a simple answer...... who is the head of Sony Music these daze?

Take care,
    Jeffrey

14. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe they are just walking away from SACD (as seems to have happened with DVD-Audio) now that the High Definition formats are on the radar.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Maybe "they" should have stuck w/ the Nightly Newz? How hard can it be to say..... "Dan, you are reading the wrong damn monitor again.... you *****!"? :laugh:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

16. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I think as a general rule, you should already be grabbing any SACD's you really want NOW.
    I've been doing this all year and am in pretty good shape.
    Btw, I know that the Nektar SACD's mentioned earlier in this thread are now being pressed as redbooks, with no currnet plans for future SACD runs.

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Once Sony starts making CD players without SACD capability then the door will be closed for good. What a waste.............

18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Because they're NOT selling anywhere near the majors hoped they would, and they're getting out of the Hi-Res business for now. As much as the audiophiles loved it, SACD and DVd-A (for high profile titles, at least) are going the way of Quad, 8 Tracks, and Laser Discs

19. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

I've noticed that some folks here think SACD & DVD-A will increase in value after their demise much the same way Dcc & MFSL gold CD's have. But others believe the opposite (as stated above by jjhunsecker). I guess the only way to find out which fate awaits hi-rez is to wait it out. It is quite depressing though :(

20. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I think that your analysis is rather flawed. I'm not aware of LaserDisc compatibility ever getting beyond dedicated players. Therefore the installed hardware base for that format was never very large, and very soon declined. Just the opposite seems to be the case with SACD (and DVD-A).

The mass market SACD/CD player has been largely supplanted by the cheap universal DVD player. Ironically, even as hi-rez disk production has declined in the last couple of years, the number of universal players released that support SACD (and DVD-A) has continued to increase. More and more people own players that are compatible with the hi-rez music formats.

Of course a lot of these machines may only be used to play movies, but I do see evidence of some curiosity about hi-rez music (largely MCH related) from purchasers of new universal players in the UK DVD forums that I read. However these people are often disappointed to find that the SACD/DVD-A titles recommended to them are increasingly difficult to find in the shops. I think that this trend will keep demand for the popular hi-rez titles pretty strong on eBay for some years to come.

In short I don't think that the hardware to play SACD is going to go away any time soon.

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

But more and more player makers will have to decide if SACD support is still necessary, given that the the software doesn't sell well and that many labels stopped issuing SACDs.

How many new CD players have HDCD support?

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Hard to "sell anywhere near the majors hoped they would" when

1) There weren't that many of them
    2) Announced titles never showed up, or showed up late
    3) Buyers could not find them in stores
    4) J6P had no clue what they were
    5) 2 disimilar formats competed against each other (again)

:realmad: :shake: :(

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Add poor promotion to the list and the fact that Sony started out IMO on the wrong foot by not making them hybrids from the git-go. :realmad:

24. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

But there are a lot already sold, so there will be a demand for players. And if the interest in SACD decreases, the price (license) to implement the codec chip will go down as well... So let's be happy that the world remains flat, round and 12 cm sized. Even if HD-DVD happens, there will be multiformat players, I'm sure.

Martin

25. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I agree with you there, all the copies that I see on line and in stores are the redbook release of Nektar's "RTF". The only place I still see the SACD of it are Tower Records at 18.99 . The last time I was in the Brea, California store a couple of weeks ago they had a couple copies in the rack yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.