SACDs $11.00 at SonyMusicStore

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Like some other online retailers, Sony Music Store collects sales tax for sales into states where they are deemed to be resident and thus have a state tax filing requirement of some sort. The concept is also commonly referred to as having "nexus" within a state for tax purposes. Each state has its own rules regarding the level of business activity required to establish nexus in the state, and therefore a tax filing requirement.

The states that Sony collects sales tax on sales transactions (per the web site) are:

CALIFORNIA, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, LOUISIANA, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, WASHINGTON

Mike

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, Mike. Gee, how do you know so much about this tax stuff? ;)

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

One thing they sure are slow at getting the orders together. I ordered 12/26 and the order just shipped today 1/4.

4. KeithH

I noticed this too. I placed an order on December 30th and saw earlier this evening that the order is still being processed. :sigh:

5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I would chalk it up to the Christmas rush if it didn't go that way everytime I ordered from them.

6. KeithH

This is my first order from the Sony Music Store. Have you ever had trouble getting an order filled?

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

my orders always came fine it just took a while. I have only ordered SACD from them and once I got redbook cds eventhough I clearly ordered SACD. I called up and they sent out the sacd and told me just to keep the extra redbook cds- thats one way to get a hybrid!

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

"they don't charge tax, they just collect it"

9. stereoptic

I just called SONYMUSICSTORE and they told me that they were closed for a few days and my order is being processed today.

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Good point....

11. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Yep I ordered on 12/29 and mine still says "in progress". Hopefully they'll ship out soon so I can listen to some new music!

12. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I just wanted to post here too that mine all came today via UPS even!

Someone (I can't remember who) said sony was out of Copland conducts Copland : Appalachian Sping, Billy the Kid, etc... But I just got one so you may want to try again if you didn't pick it up yet.

For anyone interested heres what I picked up on this round.

Copland Conducts Copland
    Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky "rite of spring" "firebird suite"
    Ormandy conducts Orff: Carmina Burana
    Ormandy conducts Orff:Verdi
    Szell conducts; Excerpts from Wagner's "The Ring" (normaly I wouldn't get an "excerpts" disc but I just don't know if I could handle the whole Ring cycle.
    Volodos plays Rachmaninoff Piano concerto NO. 3
    Volodos: Shubert piano works
    Midori plays: Debussy, Poulenc and Saint Saens
    and
    James Taylor October Road

13. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

I ordered 4 SACD's back on the 29th of Dec. I got them all today(1/10) in a bubblewrap envelope. One CD case has a crack. Ohh well. Everything else is good. Cases I don't care about. Just as long as the cd isn't scratched.

14. KeithH

I placed an order for seven SACDs on December 30th and received the discs today. Although the discs were thrown in an oversized mailer with no padding, they arrived in perfect condition. At $8.78 per disc with the "SAVEAMEX" discount, I can't complain. :)

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I still have not received mine, but I don't expect miracles from the USPS.

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I cancelled my order. Good riddance. Buh-bye Sony.

17. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I ordered 4 discs on 12/30 and nothing for me, yet. I just checked my order status and it is "in progress." I guess we shall see... :sigh:

18. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

That is scary, must be a big sale of their overstocked inventory, that they had hoped to sell at much higher prices when SACD was first launched. Now that Sony has virtually been upstaged by other labels (and stopped releasing new SACD's altogether) they probably want to clean out their inventory before SACD prices drop even further (certainly DualDiscs will also put some pressure onto SACD pricing).

19. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I was wondering about my order. I placed an order on 12/31 and got a confirmation today, 1/11, that the discs are being shipped. I don't think I will order from Sony again.

20. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Nothing personal Marty, but I don't understand your saying that you won't order from Sony again. Once you receive a disc you have it forever, so why is it a problem if you have to wait a week or two for it to arrive? I've never been able to purchase SACDs as cheaply as I've been able to directly from Sony during their sales. I've placed 5 orders totalling about 50 titles and saved at least $200 - $250 doing so. I certainly do not mind waiting for shipment.

21. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Yeah - I've said the same thing - then their prices for SACD's get even lower and past behavior is quickly forgotten..... :winkgrin:

22. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I just received notification that my 4 SACD's shipped! :)

23. stereoptic

I got mine on Saturday 1/9, I ordered on 12/30 I think.

24. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Considering ordering from Sony direct with this deal saved me over $8 on stereo and $10 or more on multichannel, PER DISC! over what I could get them for at my local Best Buy who are about the cheepest around otherwise, I don't have much of a problem waiting. All the must have titles I have, these orders are just good ones to have in the collection.

Consider this Best Buy stereo discs $16.99 + tax = $18.26 here in Wisconsin Sony price with visa sale $9.33

Best Buy price multi channel discs $18.99 +tax + $20.41 in Wisconsin (7.5% tax) Sony price was still $9.33

It probably sounds like I am a salesman for Sony but Im not, Im just pointing out some saveings! Of'corse if your like me you may not have bought these at list price so in the end it aint savin you nothing its costing you!!!!

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am not really sure this is a big sale to sell off their "overstocked inventory". The reason I say this is because it seemed that almost everything (or nearly everything - SACD, CD, DVD, LP, etc.) was marked down to very low prices - even new releases that have yet to hit street. I do agree though that SACDs seemed to be marked down to lower prices than one might expect.

I ordered 4 SACDs and two LPs (the AC/DC vinyl box set for $142.00, and the NEW Pearl Jam "RearViewMirror" on vinyl for $16.99). My order is still in progress, but I can wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.