SACDs $11.00 at SonyMusicStore

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

"saveamex" is the discount code. I got each title for $8.78. 5 SACDs for a total of $47.74.

thanks for both the Sony Store and saveamex tips.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just did some damage to my AMEX card! Here's my haul:

* Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison
    * John McLaughlin Friday Night In San Francisco
    * Thelonious Monk Straight, No Chaser
    * Blue Öyster Cult Agents Of Fortune
    * Weather Report Mysterious Traveller
    * James Taylor Dad Loves His Work
    * James Taylor Flag

With the SAVEAMEX code, I paid $8.78 a disc or $61.46 for seven SACDs. These are discs I had passed up at full price in stores many times, but at $8.78 per disc, it was time to bite. :)

By the way, this is my first purchase from the Sony Music Store web site. How often do they run these sales? There were a number of other SACDs I'd buy on a similar sale down the road. I just can't buy everything at once.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

You think there's a shopmastercard or savemastercard code? :(

Oh well, I just dropped $30 on two Dylan SACDs (Oh Mercy and Freewheelin') plus the Kind of Blue SACD. :)

4. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I knew about the problem on the stereo-only disc from prior posts. I have the multi-channel that I got last month from my major league haul at the Sony store. I don't know about an EQ problem but it sounds very "unmusical" on a few tracks. Maybe because the SACD was too revealing of the tape. Can' put my finger on it.

5. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Argh! It erases your cart contents if you shut the page!

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Yup! Assembled the discs I wanted over a week. It never saved my cart.
    :realmad:

You have to keep saving the page to your hard drive so when you bring it up again you can just use the links to the items to recreate your cart. Absolutely no excuse for using this type ofshopping software these days - its like the early days of the Internet.

7. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Can anyone comment 'yea or nay' on the SACD sound quality of the following:

The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
    The Three Degrees - The Best of the Three Degrees
    Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills

I may have to buy a few more... :D

8. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

O'Jays is awesome,I have not heard the others

9. KeithH

Well, there is not supposed to be an EQ problem on the stereo track that is on the multi-channel disc. I've actually always wanted to get both SACDs to compare them. In a sick sort of way, I want the stereo-only disc just to hear what went wrong. Then I'd also compare the stereo track on the multi-channel disc to the remastered CD, which I like.

10. KeithH

I have only heard The O'Jays disc, and it's excellent.

11. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

"Cheap Thrills" sounds very good in stereo but incredible in multi-channel. Dramatically different mixes. Don't understand it. I listened to it at a friends house who has a very expensive multi-channel set up. Makes me want to go out and get a multi-channel setup. I heard its a faked live recording with computer generated multichannel sound. That would be enough to turn me away from it, but it somehow works very well. I'm going to check the archives on this one.

12. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The O'Jays SACD is excellent, I'd definitely recommend that one. Cheap Thrills in Surround is a very interesting mix. The Three Degrees SACD has a number of hits on it but is a bit on the bright side sonically to me.

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Excellent as far as sound, or the music also? I'm only familiar with that one song.

Attached Files:

14. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

They have some vinyl also, but you can't search for vinyl like you can for SACD. I just happened to notice some as I was viewing some AC/DC CD's. They have the AC/DC vinyl boxset for $167 which would only be about $134 if you can use the AMEX discount.

(The vinyl search does show the box set I mention above, but I also see the single AC/DC albums available for $10.98.)

Edit: I've found a few more selections from Pearl Jam, John Mayer, and Duran Duran.

Scott

15. Big Ern

Big Ern New Member

16. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hey...how's the sound on that Aerosmith hits collection, "O Yeah"? I've thought about getting that one since there isn't enough Aerosmith I like to buy an individual album.

Have thought about the Journey albums on SACD, but don't know if they sound all that good either.

19. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I ordered the Aerosmith hits, hoping it sounds OK.

20. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Assuming that the version of Sweet Emotion on the Rolling Stone 500 Hybrid came from this disc, you should be pretty happy with it.

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Haven't heard it. The pricing on it is just too stiff, even when it is "on sale". Everything else seems to be heavily discounted.

22. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The Aerosmith set is very good on both discs. It's not multi-channel like "Toys In The Attic".
    Minus 2 songs, it almost replaced the Greatest Hits album. I have Journey's Greatest Hits and it's varies from mediorce to good, depending on the track. And the more recent tracks sound better.

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Looks like I got screwed out of the free shipping after the fact. Just got this email:

Item Qty Price Item Total
    Miles Davis
    Live - Evil
    1 $15.98 $15.98
    Miles Davis
    Kind Of Blue
    1 $8.78 $8.78

Subtotal: $24.76
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $3.98
    Purchase Total: $28.74

I'll see if I can cancel it somehow. It said at the time I placed the order the shipping was free. What a ripoff. Sony is still scum.

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You didn't get screwed - you had to spend more than $25. You were 24 cents under!

25. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It's only $15.98 with the AMEX discount! That's pretty nice for a double! :confused:

If you bought this one too, you would have gotten free shipping! :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.