SACD vs. Blu-Spec vs. CD - Janis Joplin "Cheap Thrills"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Yay. London Calling lacks ambiguity; the two clips are exactly the same (minus a slight offset difference).

2. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

Concur on London Calling. As I suspected.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Ok so we know they are taken from the same digital masters, yet I actually hear a discernible difference on my home stereo - playing the discs in my XA777ES. I guess I have been "duped". :)

Well what can I say?? Either my ears are tricking me or my eyes have added something to what I hear.

I do agree that if I can hear any differences on my home system it is not as great as the difference I heard between the SACD version of Cheap Thrills and either CD version.

Anyway here are where the clips were extracted from:

"Piece of My Heart":

Version 1 - is the Blu-Spec CD ; Version 2 - is the Legacy CD

"London Calling"

Version 2 - is the Blu-Spec CD ; Version 1 - is the Legacy CD

4. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Listen to the surround sound mix of "Piece of My Heart" on the SACD of "Big Brother & The Holding Co.-Cheap Thrills". After the song's normal end, there's a previously unreleased instrumental jam of guitar feedback over bass & drums.

5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I suspect if you did a blind test, you might have a harder time telling them apart.

6. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Yesh!
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=153456&postcount=1

quoted below...

Love the Feedback. Gosh, BB & The Holding Company were a tight band. They matched the fury and intensity of Janis' vocals. Too bad she wen't solo, who knows if she would be alive today if she stayed with BB.

7. MikeT

I have seen Big Brother live 3 times over the last year (never saw them live before this year), and they are still great (even using a different Janis "clone" singer every time I see them).

The band is still the 3 living core members of Sam Andrews, Dave Getz and Peter Albin. I got them to sign the booklet to my SACD. They supplement their sound with a really great young guitar player from the midwest.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If you post a wav sample off a Blu-Spec disc, aren't you losing the supposed benefit of Blu-Spec, which is a better playback medium that leads to reduced jitter during playback? In other words, if you post wav samples from a Blu-Spec CD and a regular CD that use the same mastering, shouldn't the wav samples sound identical? By the same token, if you make CD-Rs of the Blu-Spec CD and regular CD with the same burner on the same type of CD-R, shouldn't the two CD-Rs sound the same?

If there is a difference between a Blu-Spec CD and a regular CD that use the same mastering, then I believe you should only hear the difference when playing the actual discs.

9. MikeT

I believe you are right, but some people want to believe that it has to be "snake oil"... Personally, whether it is real or not, I perceive a difference in sound quality between a Blu-spec CD played vs. the non Blu-Spec CD (assuming I am listening to the same mastering).

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's fine, but posting samples won't prove your point. It will do just the opposite.

11. MikeT

I know. I posted those samples quite some time ago, probably before l "knew" that the media is what made the difference and not the digital bits contained therein.

12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

barry diament's response to a similar blu-spec vs standard cd thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.