SACD fundamentally flawed?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WVK, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomh

thomh New Member

Excellent, Markus!

Remember that the sampling theorem requires only slightly more than two samples per cycle to PERFECTLY represent a sine wave that is in band.

_________
    Thom

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

And some are not happy with over/up/under/sideways/down sampling - for example AudioNote (UK). And their DACs (I've heard the model 4 and 5 and signature versions) sound extremely realistic. We are still learning.

3. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Steve: We know you master the DSD and PCM as split feeds rather than merely make a DSD master and derive the PCM sample from that.

But have you given the DSD into 16 bit PCM sample a careful listen? Can you share your opinion based upon the most recent tools being used?

Richard.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What DSD into 16 bit PCM sample are you referring to, Richard?

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I created a sine wave using Wavegen (I think if you google Wavegen21 you can still download it). It's an old Win3.1 signal generator program.

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Let's do an experiment. Look closely at your graph. Study the fifth and the sixth sampling points (the ones just above 0). Notice how close they are in amplitude?

Now, consider a DAC. How can the DAC know that between those two points a peak exist? The answer is - it doesn't know, so the analogue output follows an almost horizontal line.

Ergo, the line that connects the fifth and sixth sampling points should be an almost straight line, not a parabole. We know there's a peak in there because we know the signal is a sinewave. But a DAC doesn't (unless there's a DSP to rebuild the original signal).

Thomh, the Nyquist theorem does not infer a perfect reconstruction of the original signal if the signal does not exceed half of the sampling frequency.

http://www.digital-recordings.com/publ/pubneq.html

If I understood correctly (and didn't sleep during my classes), the Nyquist theorem does describe perfectly a signal's frequency, but not the shape of it.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Check out the "A few rules" section.

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/nyquist.htm

7. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I took the liberty to correct your sampled signal. You'll see in red the real trace you are feeding to your DAC.

Attached Files:

8. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

It doesn't go like that. The DAC knows it's a sine wave. All other waveforms are composed out of an infinite number of sine waves.

Thanks for the links, Javier! That first link looks interesting.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I just thought of a better example...

At exactly Fs/2, a sampled sawtooth signal and a sinusoidal signal would look exactly the same... yet they are two completely different signals.

10. thomh

thomh New Member

This is in violation with the Nyquist theorem and therefore irellevant.

_________
    Thom

11. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Yes, that's why we need slightly more than two samples per cycle.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker New Member

They are different signals, but do they sound the same? Since the sawtooth is distinguished from the sine by higher harmonics beyond the range of hearing, the ear perceives them both as sine. The reaction of electronic equipment to the higher frequencies (aka distortion if the original signal was in fact a sine) may be another matter.

13. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-025/_3621.htm

What part of the Nyquist theorem did my example violate? :confused:

14. Tweaker

Tweaker New Member

For an 18kHz wave to be a sawtooth it must contain higher harmonics beyond the Nyquist limit, therefore it is not a valid input. It would be brickwall filtered before entering the ADC and subsequently turned into a sine.

15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Absolutely true! Thanks for the clarification.

16. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Gardo, might I offer up a more representative quote (without permission) from that four-page article:

... SACD uses a proprietary fixed delta-sigma modulation code, known as DSD. As delta-sigma modulation technology is well-known to audiophiles, I will only briefly summarize it here.

In the simplest form of delta-sigma modulation, a 1-bit converter is oversampled in a feedback loop. By definition, a 1-bit system—it's either on or off—suffers from very high quantization noise. However, the feedback loop shapes the noise energy so that noise is acceptably low in the audible band but high outside it.

Audiophiles have been suspicious of negative feedback for years, but for reasons I don't understand, they appear to have given delta-sigma modulation their implicit approval. Unlike feedback loops in amplifiers, where the loop circuit is already somewhat linear, the feedback loop in a delta-sigma converter is wrapped around the most nonlinear component we can imagine: a 1-bit A/D converter.

So, tell me again about the miracle sound of DSD? :rolleyes:

FFF

P.S. THANK GOD (ONCE AGAIN) FOR STEVE'S ZOMBIES SA-CD! :)

17. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Steve: Sony provides tools to take a DSD sample and directly convert it into 16 bit PCM. Many hybrid disks out there have taken advantage of this PCM sample for their CD layers. You use your art to master your own PCM layer directly from the analog source. My question is if you have any experience with the DSD into 16 bit sample and if you were at liberity to express your opinion.

Richard.

18. Steve Hoffman

I see.

No, I haven't directly, but I heard a 5 minute sample of a "trickle down" that sounded ok to me.

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

"Trickle down"??? Could you translate that, please???

20. Steve Hoffman

What Richard described in the post above mine.

21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Is this what BMG/RCA is doing with their Elvis reissues???

22. Steve Hoffman

Not a clue. Hopefully it's not the other way 'round...

23. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I think the releases that feature the "trickle down" technology have a logo on the back that reads "Direct SBM". That's the technique Sony uses to do DSD -> 44.1/16 bit PCM.

24. thomh

thomh New Member

The Nyquist criteria requires that you sample at GREATER THAN twice the bandwidth, not greater than or equal twice the bandwidth.

25. thomh

thomh New Member

I did say the "real world" and not the "hi-end" world ;)

Call me old fashioned, but I feel a reconstruction filter should be part of any properly-designed DAC and/or CD player.

IIRC, Hi-Fi News had a review of the DAC 5 and while reporting great sonics, the measurements (as expected), showed more distortion products than actual signal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.