RVG edition of Kenny Dorham's "Quiet Kenny"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Start a new thread if you want to talk about Bill Evans, this is Kenny's thread.

These are flat transfers. Could they have been done a bit better, well, maybe, but this is pretty good..

Everybody Digs Bill Evans
    Explorations
    Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    How My Heart Sings!
    Moon Beams
    Bill Evans Trio at Shelly's Manne-Hole

jfeldt and George P like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks Steve.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Max is still with us.

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

[/QUOTE]

I very much like the sound of "Quiet Kenny" (the new RVG version) but I've never heard another version either! (Normally I find the Blue Note RVG's quite good)

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

So I got the XRCD of QUIET KENNY...ding ding ding, we have a winner! I don't have the RVG of this title, but the limited run K2 CD put out in the US a couple years back is definitely overly boosted on the high end AND the bass has been pumped up too. Both are mucho distracting.

By contrast, the XRCD sounds tonally much more right for a recording of that period, without the artificial high and low end. In fact this is one of the better Rudy Van Gelder recordings, I can now hear, in terms of his not having gone a little overboard with recording the cymbals "hot" - less distortion there than on many of his recordings of that era.

What a delight! And boy is this a great record, musically one of the best jazz recordings of all time in my opinion, just un-fussy and un-showy world class musicality by all. I'm gonna have to try the 45 rpm Analogue Productions vinyl now, no two ways about it...

6. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Oopsy...sorry Mr. Roach! :o

7. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

I did, and it sounds magnificent. Probably the closest I'll ever get to hearing a live trumpet player in my living room.

This is a GREAT album, folks. Musically, sonically...it's what I'll be using from now on when I demo my hi-fi to friends.

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Ain't it just awesome, Dreamcatcher? I cannot get enough of this recording. This record has now surpassed Freddie Hubbard's READY FOR FREDDIE as my favorite hard bop trumpet date. And the XRCD is really a dream come true after having to "listen through" the wonky EQ of the K2 CD version. I have the 45 rpm Analogue Productions vinyl pressing on the way now but the XRCD is a keeper for sure, for convenience if nothing else.

9. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I've had the XRCD of "Quiet Kenny" for years. I agree with everything that was said about it in the thread. I recently got the DVD-Audio from Japan (24/192) and sat here for an hour (slow day) doing an a/b comparison. I actually prefer the DVD-Audio now by a slight margin. All the instruments sound a little more natural and fuller. The cymbals are crisper. You really can't go wrong with either as the DVD-A is hard to find (got mine on eBay'er in Asia for $17 shipped)

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

While hearing the Acoustic Sounds 45rpm set - which I received today - I must say that the RVG absolutely stinks in comparision. It has a very pronounced midrange and some added reverb, like some of the Blue Note JRVG remasterings. The OJC CD (the only inexpensive alternative) can only be better.

This is a great RVG recording.

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I am listening to the original OJC CD (1992) of Quiet Kenny, am I hearing added reverb? Can anyone verify this? thanks..

12. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

It's amazing (or is it?) how many landmark jazz records of the fifties and sixties feature Tommy Flanagan as sideman-- Saxaphone Colossus, Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery, to name just a couple.

Still-- I can't listen to Quiet Kenny without feeling a little lonesome for Joe Henderson....

13. Steve Hoffman

Possibly the RVG version is EQ'd or compressed in a way that accents the reverb already on there. I've never heard it though.

I'm sure no reverb was added to the OJC.

14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Those old OJCs are always a decent backup plan (where they can still be found, anyway).

15. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thanks for the info Steve. The OJC sounds pretty good, I want to get the XRCD down the road but for the time being it will have to do...(sounds pretty balanced to me)..what a treat having just bought this yesterday...

best
    Theron

16. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

What a great album, one of my favourites. I'm going to be a contrarian here, I have the 20bit K2 and find nothing wrong with it but I've never compared it another. I've never felt the need to adjust the EQ but I have many other CDs where adjustment is essential. I put a sticker on my CD case to indicate EQ. My amp has tone controls.
    The 20bit K2 is available and inexpensive. The OJC (new or used) is MIA at Amazon. Of course if I ever see a used OJC I'll pick it up and compare.
    I agree with the comments about RVG remasters, in general they have a compressed, processed sound that is unpleasant.
    Please don't let the price of the XRCD or negative comments about the K2 put you off hearing this fabulous album.
    Regards, Trevor.

17. dee

dee Senior Member

Elusive Disc has many samples from their catalog of xrcd titles to listen to which I find helpful. "Quiet Kenny" being a favorite, I listened to those samples, which sounded nice to my ears, and bought the xrcd. I have the K2 as well, :wave:, so will be interested in comparing them.

18. Steve Hoffman

I mastered QUIET KENNY for something. It was a thrill. The tape sounded so wonderful I didn't need to do much except add the VAN GELDERIZOR filter.

Anyone here remember what the hell I mastered this for? 45 RPM AP version probably, right?

Also the XRCD is beautiful.

I remember grooving to the music while working on it. Something that happens not that often. I guess because it's not a well known record it was new to me at the time.

Heck, this thread is so old I might have already commented on it. I should go back and read the thing.

19. Steve Hoffman

Yup, I did already comment on it, sorry!

20. dee

dee Senior Member

The remastered Prestige by RVG has moved KD's trumpet to/near the center. I assume the field was narrowed to make this so as it is heard 'left' (9:00?) opposite where the drums are, on the xrcd. Despite the better and truer mastering found on the xrcd, which sounds to me natural and real, I prefer, fwtw, hearing the solo instrument centered as it is on the remaster, and am 'ok' with the sound of the cd in general and when I hear the imaging, I find I enjoy the presentation as a whole.

21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I just picked up Quiet Kenny XRCD that was on that Elusive disc blowout sale....sounds wonderful. Detailed but warm. Very large sounding. Love it!

Jazz Nut likes this.
  22. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I will be doing the same!

23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I have an OJC lp of quiet Kenny. Has anyone compared this with the AP 45, or for that matter any OJC lp with the AP 45? Thanks (before I double dip)!

24. Steve Hoffman

reopened by request.

bkbk likes this.
  25. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Steve, do you recall if the master tape is stereo or mono or do both exist? The first pressing of this is mono and all repressed since seem to be stereo. Curious why a mono was never reissued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.