SH Spotlight Russ Gary recording Creedence at Heider. Beatles, etc. Do you have any favorite pix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Bennett always had that special Columbia vocal "delay" echo added during mixing (same like Andy Williams, etc.) Sometimes it was printed right to the center channel during recording depending on the mood of the engineer. Of course the 'verb would be accentuated during mixing with vocal compression.

Listen to the MONO original of THEME FROM "A SUMMER PLACE" by Percy Faith. Hear the natural echo on the thwack of the drum during the beat? Now listen to the STEREO mix. Double the echo (and top end). The mono is natural, the stereo was "helped" with some additional 'verb and top end boost. The mono is right off the board.

2. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Wow, OK, this one does it for me. I vote this Thread of the year!
    :winkgrin:

3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I love seeing all those cigarettes around the equipment. Makes me cringe just thinking about trying to keep all those electronics clean.

4. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Only 23 days into the new year at that!

5. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

In 1990 I found myself working at Peter Gabriels's Real World Studios, recording and mixing a Scottish band. Here are 2 pictures from that session. The first one is the control room, with a custom SSL wrap around desk.
    the second photo is from a row boat in the creek that flows to the base of the control room. :D

Great times in that room. Peter was up stairs working on an album and Wet Wet Wet were mixing in another room. I also recall Van Morrsion and Tears for Fears had just finished working on projects just before I arrived.
    :righton:
    enjoy!

Attached Files:

• rw3.jpg
      rw3.jpg
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
    • rw7.jpg
      rw7.jpg
      File size:
      74.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Here's 2 pictures courtesy of Motown Engineer Mike McLean of a Motown tracking session from 1964. Un-approved (non-posed, non-professional) photos were a no-no so very few exist of an actual session.

Picture file is too large. Let me work on it.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

A few mastering rooms here in town. The one on the left is Master Mix and the other is Yes Master.

Attached Files:

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Great, that second room is bigger than my entire old apartment.

People, feel free to post more pix of contemporary studios!

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

webster hall hosted some concerts in the 60's, the most notable being the new york debut of the jefferson airplane which really was a press event.at the show they were joined by mike bloomfield and mark naftalin of the butterfield blues band.in the 80's it beacme the ritz which eventually moved uptown leaving the venue closed for a while until it was ressurected as webster hall.i saw many a show there as the ritz including; rockpile,the jam,carl perkins,johnny cash,the residents and too many more to mention.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i took courses at bell in the 70's.it was mostly used for jingles by then.when the studio was closing, my friend met someone who had a relative caretaking the building.since almost no one responded to the letter regarding their material sitting around, several thousand reels were scheduled to be trashed.my friend made a deal with the gent who took them after his relative told him about the plans.he had no idea what he had so my friend offered to catalog everything in trade for copying.there was some interesting items there including some capt beefheart sessions that i ended up contributing to the grow fins box.among the other items were a few hours of demos and overdub sessions with the likes of neil diamond,carly simon,paul simon,david bromberg and many more.

11. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

That's really cool! Seeing something like that adds a lot to the listening experience.

I wonder if any images exist from the actual recording sessions?

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Abbey Road No.1 1971
    Boys in the studio
    No. 2
    No.3

Attached Files:

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There are a few in the CD but they don't really give you the impression of how massive the room is. They're mostly up close and the musicians are baffled off.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:laugh: Fluorescent lights, crappy looking tables, sterile white walls. Just goes to show you how little some things matter. Lots of great sounding music made in that ugly control room.

Are there any pictures of the mirror room in Abbey Road Studio 3? It's directly behind where the camera man was standing to take the picture you posted. When I was in there the fire alarm went off. It might've been the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life!

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Ardent Studio in Memphis (Madison Ave. location) where Big Star's "#1 Record" was recorded. (among many others, of course.)

Attached Files:

16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Awesome thread! :righton:

Anyone got photos of Chess studios? I've never seen a pic...

17. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Wow, what a thread.

I love seeing pictures of artists working the old U47 - with and without the Capitol logo. (Sinatra, Nat King Cole, the Kingston Trio)...

Post those if you have 'em!

18. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Post withdrawn.

19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

with logo...

Attached Files:

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

22. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

This is the Sun Studio control room on July 5, 2004. The City of Memphis celebrated the 50th anniversary of rock and roll and the session for "That's All Right, Mama" which was recorded at Sun on July 5, 1954.

Attached Files:

23. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

24. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

It's a Cranesong Avocet monitor controller...

(or did somebody already answer that?)

Great thread!!

25. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Yes, but not so specifically. That outboard box is not in the "Recording the Beatles" book, and the REDD desk that Steve attached also has a few mods from those in the book (namely for the echo sends). Interesting. :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.