SH Spotlight Russ Gary recording Creedence at Heider. Beatles, etc. Do you have any favorite pix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

Peter Gabriel in London recording at Trident Studios, 1978. These were actually the first sessions for what would later become PG3. Peter, Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta and Sid McGinnis recording "I Don't Remember"--Tony playing stick.

Attached Files:

2. Wollensack

Paul McCartney recording "Another Day" at A&R Studios, NYC, 1970.

Attached Files:

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

What on earth is that outboard box on the left hand side? :confused:

4. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Thanks for posting that! I love that guitar!

5. Wollensack

Yes with Eddy Offord recording "Close To The Edge" at Advision, London.

Attached Files:

6. Wollensack

Stewart Copeland recording "Zenyatta Mondatta" at Wisseloord Studios, Hilversum, Holland, 1980. Photo by Andy Summers.

Attached Files:

7. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

There's a book called STUDIO SOUND (IIRC) with lots of great pix taken in studios in New York. One excellent one was taken at a Tony Bennett session at Columbia's 30th Street studio around 1970, with Frank Laico at the controls (still rotary pots on the custom CBS console) and Teo Macero among the bystanders.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's amazing how small some of these consoles are. I guess when you're only dealing with 8 or 16 tracks there's no need for a 64 channel console.

With all these digital boards right now it's funny how we're getting back to smaller consoles. No need for consoles to be 20 feet long anymore.

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Back to mono.... ;)

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Bob Clearmountain's studio. Lots of amazing mixes have been done on that console!

Attached Files:

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Norman Petty at work...

Attached Files:

12. Wollensack

Of course, no studio photo thread is complete without a shot of the dubmaster, Lee "Scratch" Perry, inside his Black Ark Studio.

Attached Files:

13. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

I remember being a kid and tagging along with my parents to a Southeby's exhibit where one of the items being auctioned off was that console. It was cool as hell pawing it over, touching everything. I was just a kid but I remember of having the sense of history that was there before me and just being in awe of this machine, cigarette burns and all.

Great thread guys, keepem coming!

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

George Massenburg's room at Blackbird. It's a very uncomfortable room to be in. The whole pace is covered by various length sticks protruding out of the walls. It does sound amazing in there though.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. bodine

bodine Senior Member

The Wicked Pickett and Skydog Allman, Fame Studio, for the recording of "Hey Jude," 1969

[​IMG]

16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

otis redding,steve cropper & johnny daye-1967, the staple singers, duck dunn & isaac hayes and booker t & carla thomas.

Attached Files:

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Some more Hendrix. First is Electric Ladyland sessions taken by Linda McCartney, second is with Billy Cox at the Hit Factory in August of '69, last is Noel at the Record Plant mixing board during the Electric Ladyland sessions.

Attached Files:

18. Chris M

Do You Like Worms? Brian during the Smile sessions, fall '66. I guess this is at Western?

Attached Files:

19. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Bob Warford and Red Rhodes at Michael Nesmith's Countryside Ranch in the San Fernando Valley. They were recording Red's Velvet Hammer in a Cowboy Band album in 1973 when this photo was taken. The master bedroom and garage had been converted into a recording studio. What a difference between this and Massenburg's Blackbird.

Attached Files:

20. Chris M

More Pink Floyd at De Lane Lea. Not sure where the last shot was taken. Maybe at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop?

Attached Files:

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Take a GOOD look at those pictures (post 68).

That is a little mixing room at Western. See the four faders? See the ONE VU meter, one limiter and one speaker? Mono mixing only from four track. See the tape machine on the left (Brian's arm is resting on it) in the same cabinet as mine below?

Totally neat.

Attached Files:

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Thanks, these are great.

23. Chris M

That is neat. I was wondering what might be on that reel on top of the tape machine. I can't help but wonder if there might be a stack of vintage rough mono mixes of Smile stuff somewhere that has vocal overdubs and Brian edits that aren't found anywhere else.

24. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

Steve is correct regarding buss assignments on the DeMedio console: groups 1-8 also fed tracks 9-16 on the multi-track recorder. Tracks 9-16 were hard patchable, pre-EQ, or post EQ with a 10db loss, if needed. I don't recall ever using hard patches because I always printed effects to the multi-track, especially drum echos.

Re: panning, groups 4 and 5 fed the 2-track machines. The console had only six pan pots for mixing. Pulling forward the 6 rocker switches at the top of the module in the upper right corner routed busses 1-2-3/6-7-8 through a pan pot and into groups 4 and 5, then into the stereo output of the console. (The switches are difficult to see in the photo, it looks as if only one rocker switch is there)

When tracking, I usually mixed the drums to tracks 4 and 5 via the pan pots....Kick in the center, snare a tad to right and the toms and cymbals subtly left and right, locking echos, etc. onto the tracks.

--Russ

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Russ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.