Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

So No need for a Blu ray, excellent beyond the obvious uncompress PCM I cant see Blue ray improving Videos from 80s Video stock that much if at all. So teh cheeper option wins for me.

2. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this info!

It's great that this forum so often can provide important details not given (or not clear) in official product descriptions.

3. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

DvD Audio. That is amazing..

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Excellent. DVD/CD for me then. Can't see any point in the Blu-Ray.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wouldn't it be system dependent?

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Great , so i get to fight with bestbuy to "find" me one out in the back of the store with the way they like to promote these exclusives .....

Check out that link , lot's of good info & even better some of the comments below of people thinking they will not beat the remastered cd & these would only be good with bonus tracks to someone who thinks the whole album should be remixed & remastered in stereo for the cd & one who says this will NOT sound better than the Vinyl ........ Time will tell .

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sure, if someone has ONLY a blu-ray player and no dvd-a capability (like a PS3 for example), then the blu-ray is the way to go for them. If they have that Blu-Ray delivering lossless MCH via HDMI.

I've got a PS3 and a Denon dvd-audio player. So I'm getting the CD/DVD-A.

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Or if you're just playing it in stereo doesn't matter which one you buy. It will be the same LPCM 24bit 96khz.

9. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Same for me. Rush in DVD-A is a dream come true for me. I just hope they don't mess it up!

10. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Glad to see it's a DVD-A version. I'll buy that one first and then wait for the Bluray-Audio version. Can't get enough Hi-Rez versions....... :D

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think it'll be a DVD-V with 24/96 stereo and 5.1 in DTS/DD.

12. Speak

Speak Forum Resident

Same here! I've got both but I'll definitely go for the DVD-A... you gotta root for the underdog! :laugh:

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Why do you say that? We already have confirmation from a respected surround engineer (Neil Wilkes) that it's definitely DVD-A.

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Just how the product description reads on both Amazon and Rush's site (same text). Snakes and Arrows is also listed as a DVD-A by Amazon, but it's a DVD video with 24/96 stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital. The engineer's quote is encouraging, I suppose. There's not really such a thing as a DVD-A "layer". I just got a feeling.

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well, no it's not a layer in the same sense as a hybrid SACD, which separates content per layer. I suspect that's where Wilkes got the term. DVD-A has often been done as one "side" on a double-layer two-side disc but technically, it could be on the same side as the DVD-V material, just in the AUDIO_TS folder. It's all about the space required.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Agreed.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, there's no such thing as DVD-A either. The format is called dvd audio. I've never seen a disc that says "DVD-A" on it. Some manufacturers may use the abbreviation though, maybe.

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Actually, if we're going to get picky about it, the format under discussion here is normally written with a hyphen as "DVD-Audio" to avoid confusion with generic discussions about "DVD audio." However, "DVD-A" has also come to be used by many to refer to the format. The DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corporation always hyphenates it throughout their DVD book documents when both "DVD" and "Audio" appear on the same line. The official DVD-Audio logo consists of the standard DVD logo with the word AUDIO underneath. The important thing here for those who want lossless 5.1 is that the disc contains MLP-encoded audio in the AUDIO_TS folder (since a DVD does not have the bandwidth to carry six channels of uncompressed PCM).

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Very nice to see another band and record label testing the Blu-ray Audio Disc waters. I'd buy it if it wasn't a Rush album. Can't take those guys' music even though BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE is one of my all-time fave rock docs and those three guys seem like they're super-nice. Just can't take their music ... (it's the singing I can't take, to be perfectly honest).

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Then maybe, just MAYBE, you might be in the wrong thread.....Just saying, maybe. :winkgrin:

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'll be getting the CD/DVD package. The he man rig doesn't do Blu=Ray.

22. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Another difference though small possibly may be that the BR would have the videos with DTS MA and the DVD-Audio may not have a lossless surround option coinciding with the videos.

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Get back to me when you've made up your mind. :wave:

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Listen in 5.1 and pull the center channel. :D

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I should clarify:

Rush's music is fine. I'm just one of those guys who only has room for Jon Anderson in the high squeaky singing sweepstakes. Nothing personal at all. As I said, I have the Blue-ray Disc of their (phenomenal) movie and think Rush are awesome people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.