Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's how I interpeted the statement as well, that it's really a DVD-V that will play in DVD-A players. I don't believe there was ever a DVD-A player that did not also play DVD-Vs.

The one statement I find somewhat misleading is this:
    This can be interpreted to mean that the DVD will boast 5.1 surround sound in 96kHz/24-bit audio, but that is not possible without some kind of compression due to bandwidth limitations on a DVD-V. That format is limited to a nandwidth of about 9.8Mbits/sec whereas 6 channels of 24/96 audio takes about 13.8MBits/sec. DVD-Audio got around this by using MLP lossless compression for six channels but the standard DVD-V spec does not support lossless audio compression, only AC3 (aka Dolby Digital) with DTS as an option supported by most players.

(The 256 times is also incorrect. Strictly speaking 24/96 audio actually offers over 557 times more resolution than CD audio although only 256 times is in at all frequencies. The rest is above 22kHz).

2. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

huh... the Amazon now says CD+DVD-Audio, although the description is still as vague(!)

(it was CD+DVD only when i ordered)

it's DVD-Audio/Video on 2112.net which probably prompted Amazon's update

3. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I hope the Blu ray'll be released in stores.

4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I can't imagine they would do anything to actively prevent it being sold in a brick-n-mortar... whether a particular store chooses to carry it or not is an entirely different story.

5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I sent them the change twice, they didn't accept it the first time, they did the second time.

When I read:

It reads to me that if the LATTER players offer dts/Dolby/PCM2.0 then the FORMER players will include something not mentioned which would be MLP 5.1, hence the "Audiophile" 5.1 would be lossless 24/96 5.1

Disagree with the other poster that says Blu-ray would be pointless though, I imagine there are many times more Blu-ray devices on the market than DVD-Audio devices.

6. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

funny I was only yesterday imagining how awesome it would be to de-construct Rush using 5.1

7. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this release coming out.
    I sure hope the dynamics are done similar to Tom Petty DTT as it is so clean sounding and any releases by Steve Wilson are also fantastic in surround(Porcupine Tree,King Crimson,No-Man etc).
    I agree with some others that I don't trust that the cd\dvd will have a Dvd Audio layer on it so the cd\BR would be the way to go.

peter

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

That's why I love 5.1 most :righton:

10. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

It's funny, but Moving Pictures has been one of the albums on serious heavy rotation for me during the last couple weeks. I never seem to grow tired of hearing it. Can't wait to bring this one home.

11. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

that occurred to me too, but it's more of a faint hope than a tangible understanding ;)

agreed - more BD players in the market, and they won't need SACD/DVD-A capability to avail themselves of the hirez audio. Could be a first experience with hirez multichannel music for people who have never had SACD/DVD-A.

12. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I love the band but I'm sure about this. I'm such a heavy headphone listener, so 5.1 audio isn't a big thing for me. I guess I'll wait for the reviews to decide.

13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

There's supposed to be a hi-res stereo track as well...

14. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

You either have not had a good 5.1 experience yet or don't have the $$$ to get a decent setup , cause I myself was always a headphone listener (still am- I wear my Sony MDR 7506 on public transport with my ipod every day) and surround is the next natural step after headphones....just give it a whirl ( I didn't have enough $$$ to get a decent Surround setup until a few years ago!!)

15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

uhg,just got an email from amazon,pushing back the release date to may

16. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

I can see a deluxe 100th pre-anniversary of 2112 comming out in 2012

the band shouldn't pass up that opportunity

17. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The Blu-Ray is pushed back to May. The DVD-Audio is still scheduled for April 5th.

I'm going to wait on this one until I hear that it's not brickwalled. I'm sick of spending hard-earned money on something that's brickwalled.

18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

okay,thanks for the fix Kev

19. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Here is a link explaining the bestbuy exclusive for the cd\bluray so that explains why Amazon.com and other retailers can't sell it till May.

http://news.2112.net/2010/05/rushs-back-catalog-2011-reissue.html

Would this just be for USA as I don't see bestbuy.ca advertising the same selection.
    I see that for Amazon.ca has the cd\dvd now available for 17.99 and they have another listing for 27.99 which could be the Bluray version.

peter

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Seems like the Blu-Ray offers nothing over the DVD except better picture quality for the stills. I hope the descriptions are correct, and the dvd offers 96/24 bit 5.1 and stereo, meaning its using MLP, and just has the Dolby 5.1 track for DVD-V players. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's this kind of ambiguity that made dvd-audio so frustrating.

22. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Looks like Amazon.ca finally has the proper cd\bluray listed with the same ASIN as amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Now the question is to order the sure bet for a lossless surround(the Bluray) or order the cd\dvd and hope it does in fact have a dvd audio layer.

peter

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The description makes the answer perfectly clear...it's "audiophile" 5.1 :)

24. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Hey, I got a confirmation at QQ forum from Neil Wilkes(who authors Steve Wilson stuff) that this DVD defintely has a DVDA layer.
    Here was his reply:

"Peter, the DVD definitely, without any doubt whatsoever, has a DVD-A layer.
    I know the man who is authoring it, and we are in very safe hands indeed - he's the best there is at this game."

SO its the cd\dvd for me.

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's very good news. I've exchanged emails with Neil in the past when I was dabbling in surround plugin development. He definitely knows his stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.