Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I like the EQ choices. Of course, I would have liked it better without the additional compression, but it could have been a lot worse. Not sure exactly why, but IMHO it sounds a lot more dynamic than the waveforms suggest. I prefer this to the earlier remaster by a long shot. I am too lazy to dig out my atomic pressing (it is boxed in my closet with around 3,000 other CDs) so this is my go-to version of the album.

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

+1

My RL needledrop is still my go-to copy but if I had to pick a commerically released digital version only, I wouldn't hesitate to stick with the 2011 version. The '97 remaster sounds brittle and harsh in comparison.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Plenty of them.:D

4. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Here's my spectrum analysis of the original RL Masterdisk vinyl needledrop of Tom Sawyer. No response over 20k. The frequency analysis program does not use an FFT algorithm so it may produce more accurate results. But then again, I'm an unknown using unknown software on an unknown computer so there. :D

[​IMG]

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That looks about right. I just opened my Tom Sawyer RL needledrop and grabbed the following images:

Here's a snippet of izotope RX spectral view:
    [​IMG]

and here's a frequency spectrum analysis of a selection:
    [​IMG]

In both cases, you can clearly see the abrupt drop around 20kHz. Yes, there's material above this that appears to be music, but as forum member GeorgeZ of GZ vinyl pointed out in another thread, these harmonics can be generated from cutting head interactions, etc. It doesn't mean it's actually music. I've actually seen this on several LPs I own that I know to have been cut from 44.1 files. I've also seen a couple where there's almost nothing abobe 20kHz, but usually there are some sort of echoes. A true hires or analog source usually has a smooth transition, although I have seen some that appear to have been filtered up there. Apparently high frequencies can be very hard a cutting heads.

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

why does it matter if there's information above 20khz? we can't hear any of it.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well there are some who think we can, but I'm not getting into that debate (especially since at 51 I'm fortunate to be able to hear up to around 15k ;) ). However, it all about the filtering that's used to get that steep cutoff at 20k. It can wreak havoc on the phase and timing of frequencies below 20k. The real advantage of hires is that the filters can be moved way up out of harm's way and of course with analog you don't need the filters.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  8. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Listening to the BR DTS-MA layer and I like what I hear.

9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

:righton: Me too. At first i was a bit disappointed with the surround mix, as i awaited more adventurous approach, but the more i listen to it, the more i like it.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just realized that my LP is the Ludwig version, so I need to give it a spin. For now, I am torn between various early CDs and the MFSL gold disc as my favorite.

11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I just got the blu ray set from Amazon, I want to support the format. I am not the biggest of Rush fans but liked the sound of the re-mastered Cd and figured that just about any hi rez blu ray disc is worth checking out.

I guess I haven't gotten to the last three tracks, the surround is almost non-existant. the stereo sound is very good though.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

We all have different listening preferences. If you like the remastered CD, then I could see that you would like the hi-rez disc. I find the remastered CD to be loud and a bit dry (lacking warmth), and I find the hi-rez disc to be too loud and harsh. The earlier CDs still sound better to me.

ibis likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree with your opinion on this Rush hi-res disc. The surround sound is better than the stereo but still it leaves something to be desired.

Hi -res is a format that will bring out plenty of detail, ambiance, and harmonic overtones. They don't need the treble cranked up to do that. Some mastering engineers are figuring this out, some aren't.

ibis likes this.
  14. I know this is an old thread but perhaps someone could elaborate if there is any difference in the sound quality of the Blu ray vs the DVDA in the stereo mix?

15. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I have both and do not hear any difference in sound quality.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. Thank you for the info.

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

So you learn something new as they say.

I couldn't figure out why my flac rip of the HFPA was so small. DVD-Audio Extractor automatically selects the resolution it thinks it is. All my other HFPA discs select correctly, Rush Moving Pictures defaults to 24/48 and couldn't figure out why. So I selected 96/24 as stated on the disc. I noticed the flac files were pretty small, I am guessing cause of the lack of info it is suppose to have.

Strange the program could pick up on what it is compared to what is stated on the disc officially.

18. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I finally found a copy on DVD. I bought it for the 5.1 and while it's not an adventurous mix it is spacious and immersive - lots of breathing room between instruments - and better than what I expected based on this thread. My only criticism with what is actually there is that the drums sound quite recessed under the guitars.

Simon A likes this.
  19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I wasn't nuts about this surround mix initially but the side two tracks have grown on me. It would still be great to see what Steven Wilson could do with it though.

ceddy10165 and Plan9 like this.
  20. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Just picked the blu ray up and I think the 5.1 mix sounds terrific. I'm not sure what people were expecting but the sonics do surround me with some nice rear/front speaker action and for the first time ever I noticed the word "memory" echoing into the distance on "Vital Signs" so that's one immediate bonus to this mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.