Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

It says in the description that there will be a dvd-audio layer.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Okay, so it is a dvd-audio disc with the lossy dolby 5.1 for regular dvd players. Got it.

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

DVD-Video - 2.0 24/96 PCM + 5.1 Dolby Digital
    DVD-Audio - + 5.1 24/96 MLP

Blu-ray - 2.0 24/96 PCM + 5.1 24/96 PCM + 5.1 24/96 dts-ma

I'm hooked up via HDMI, so the Blu-ray will be my choice. But for those with lossy Blu-ray hook-ups and lossless Universal player hook-ups the DVD-A would clearly be the choice if fidelity is your #1 priority, which it should be if you're posting here, lol.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have a Blu-Ray player hooked up to a lo-def TV in a stereo system. The Damn the Torpedoes hi-rez Blu-Ray release convinced me to get the player. In the case of Moving Pictures, however, there is no reason for me to get the Blu-Ray set.

5. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

so blu-ray audio out of the analog outs is not as high a res as out HDMI?

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Analog is by nature infinite in "resolution." the sound quality will depend on what's fed to the player's digital-to-analog converters and the quality of the converters themselves. The HDMI out is just transferring the data to external converters, which may or may not sound better than the built-in ones.

7. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

thanks, I'm pretty sure my Oppo 93 has a better DAC than my Yamaha 495 integrated amp.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's a pretty good bet. :)

9. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I pre-ordered the Blu-ray and cannot wait to hear it. I don't care that it's the fifth or sixth version of this album I've bought. I love it, and want to hear it in high resolution.

I want it to sell well, so Dirk, Lerxst, and Prat can see that the effort to reissue this stuff in high-res is worth the time and money. It would be real nice to get the Deluxe treatment for the rest of their catalog.

10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

So aside from the hi-rez videos, the CD+DVD will still provide the same level of audio resolution assuming it's played in a DVD-Audio player?

11. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

On paper, sure. In actual real-world practice, no.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Could somebody please post a link to the Blu Ray at amazon.com.

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

14. therockman

15. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Yes.

And really, how much better are the video gonna look? They weren't filmed in the highest of quality anyway.

16. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

This is what I was thinking. In terms of audio quality, my DVD-A equipment is superior to my Blu-ray. I think I will go with the DVD package on this one. Thanks.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

My guess is that they'll look as good as Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" blu-ray release.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I pre-ordered the CD/DVD set from Amazon. Looking forward to this one.

19. therockman

I choose the Blu Ray version just to show support for that format.

20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Regardless of resolution, the superiority of the MPEG-4 codec at the bandwidths Blu-ray affords will ensure no macro-blocking, pixelation, swimming blacks and any other number of problems that are immediately apparent when you go back to watching a DVD after a few years of being used to Blu-ray quality.

I'm also with therockman, showing support for the only physical format with a remote chance of seeing sustainable adoption in the marketplace.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Am I the only one who thinks there is some confusion regarding the press release verbiage and there really won't be a DVD-A version?

22. therockman

I honestly doubt the DVD-A presence myself, but one never knows until the product has shipped. By choosing the Blu Ray version I will avoid disappointment. :wave:

23. Agree completely Sam. I have tried to type up a post to state that several times, but I always deleted it thinking I would add more confusion.

But the point remains that they never state that it will be a DVD-A, and saying that the DVD can be played on both a DVD or DVD-A machine (What exactly is a DVD-A machine????) creates doubt and confusion.

I personally wager that the DVD will have 24/96 Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1.

The BR will have 24/96 Stereo, DTS HD 5.1, and PCM 5.1

It would be completely pointless to do a BR to if there was a DVD-A with hi-rez stereo and 5.1. Those videos, while perhaps looking better than DVD, are not exactly going to be "Avatar" quality. :)

Brian

24. Unless of course the mastering sucks! :)

Brian

25. therockman

True that. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.