Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sounds promising:

Both DVD & Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

Looks like a page right out of Tom Petty's playbook.

Of course, there is that pesky little detail called mastering that will make or break this release. :)

Brian

2. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Well, after having read the description for both releases, I don't know which I should get given my setup. I have a PS3 as my bluray player but it's connected via an digital optical cable to my receiver, which doesn't support HDMI. However, I have a Denon 2900 universal player that supports DVD-A which sounds fantastic on my system. Since I dont think I can get DTS-HD from my blurry player the way it's hooked up, am I better off getting the CD/DVD release rather than the CD/BD?

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think so, yes. I'm in a similar boat.

4. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

That is some good news though. Good news indeed.

5. agentalbert

I wish they would actually specify PCM here. This could possibly still be lossy, such as the Rhino quad release of Chicago Transit Authority, which was in 96/24 DTS.

6. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I will be waiting patiently for this one. Lets hope they get it right.

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Great, that's one hurdle passed...

That's the last and largest hurdle.

8. user19351

user19351 Active Member

The Snakes and Arrows 5.1 was horrible. Disregarding resolution, the surround mix and the mastering were among the worst I've heard on any release. The vinyl release, while sounding like the original recording was digital, at least had some dynamics and reasonable EQ.

My fear is that Richard might be the guy responsible for the S&A 5.1 and he did the MP 5.1. While I hope I'm wrong, I'm not optimistic on this one.

9. You lost me on that one....

It is 24/96 stereo. What could it be BUT PCM?

And they also said 24/96 PCM 5.1, in addition to DTS-HD MA (which should be indistinguishable from the PCM).

I think the limiting factor in terms of sound is going to be the mastering and mixing (for the 5.1).

Brian

10. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Sounds promising. Hopefully it will be mastered correctly.

11. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Glad to see this come along while I wait patiently for my MFSL Candy O and the next quad title from Rhino..........

12. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Just pulled this from blabbermouth, not sure if there is anything new here:

RUSH's "Moving Pictures" celebrates its 30th anniversary this year with a spectacular "Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition" via Mercury/UMe. The reissue of this seminal album on April 5, will be available in two formats: (1) a digitally remastered CD plus DVD and (2) a digitally remastered CD plus Blu-ray. For this Deluxe Edition, the DVD and Blu-ray discs will feature the album and three bonus music videos, "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and the previously unreleased clip "Vital Signs", in both a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound mix supervised by the band's Alex Lifeson using the original multi-tracks and in newly remastered stereo from the original analog master tapes.

Both DVD and Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 Surround Sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 Surround Sound and stereo.

The "Moving Pictures" experience has never sounded better or been more moving. Also included in the package is an extensive gallery with previously unreleased photos from the original recording sessions, new liner notes by renowned music journalist David Fricke and 30th-anniversary artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme.

At quadruple platinum in the U.S., "Moving Pictures" was the band's eighth studio album and remains its biggest-selling release to date, highlighted by the group's best-known track "Tom Sawyer", as well as the hit "Limelight", radio favorite "Red Barchetta" and Grammy-nominated instrumental "YYZ".

RUSH continues to garner new fans through new recordings and touring, and is a mainstay at Mainstream Rock radio. Last year, RUSH had 100 different tracks get radio airplay, one of only six rock artists — including AC/DC, METALLICA, AEROSMITH, PINK FLOYD, and THE ROLLING STONES — to have that deep a catalog. They also are one of only 16 artists to have remained in the Top 40 in radio airplay for the last 10 years at Mainstream Rock. As singer-bassist-keyboardist Geddy Lee, lead guitarist Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart record their 20th studio album, "Clockwork Angels", and continue their "Time Machine" tour in America and Europe this year — during which they will perform the entire album — RUSH continues to stay true to the spirit that made "Moving Pictures" a classic.

Track listing:

Format 1 (CD + DVD):

CD:

01. Tom Sawyer
    02. Red Barchetta
    03. YYZ
    04. Limelight
    05. The Camera Eye
    06. Witch Hunt
    07. Vital Signs

DVD-Audio/Video:

01. Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    02. Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    03. YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    04. Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    05. The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    06. Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    07. Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    08. Tom Sawyer (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
    09. Limelight (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
    10. Vital Signs (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo – Previously Unreleased)

Format 2 (CD + Blu-ray):

CD:

01. Tom Sawyer
    02. Red Barchetta
    03. YYZ
    04. Limelight
    05. The Camera Eye
    06. Witch Hunt
    07. Vital Signs

Blu-ray:

01. Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    02. Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    03. YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    04. Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    05. The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    06. Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    07. Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
    08. Tom Sawyer (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
    09. Limelight (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
    10. Vital Signs (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo – Previously Unreleased)

13. ModernDayWarrior

Like I said, it looks great. Just hope the mastering isn't brickwalled. Crossing fingers.

The Vital Signs video isn't really unreleased. It was on the "Through The Camera Eye" video collection released in the 80's on VHS and Laserdisc. But I guess because it isn't on DVD is why they say that.

I hope they do more deluxe editions. I'd really love to see Hemispheres next.

14. pmckeeaalaska

All,

I still dont know which version to buy when this comes out (see earlier post in this thread) given the equipment I have. I was thinking since I dont have a bluray player hooked to my reciever via HDMI and I have a universal player capable of DVD-A playback, I should get the CD/DVD and not the CD/BD, but I also love bluray video quality as well. Should I get BOTH versions and have the best of both worlds or would this be pointless??

15. ModernDayWarrior

I don't have a blu ray player as of yet either but I'm probably gonna pick up both versions just to have the best of both worlds also.

16. ModernDayWarrior

I'm hoping the redbook cd will have nice dynamics to it also.

I'm also wondering if Rush are gonna do vinyl reissues soon.

17. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

My take is that Alex likes a thick, brick-walled sound. A lot of artists push the levels to compete with other songs when playlists are created, but Rush even brick wall their live DVDs. No sense in that whatsoever (unless they LIKE that sound). Yikes...

18. ModernDayWarrior

Yeah, you would think that he would learn his lesson after the Vapor Trails debacle.

Speaking of which, it would have been cool if they would release the remix in multi-channel format also.

19. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Bingo! But they keep doing it.

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The Classic Albums: Moving Pictures doc should have been there as part of the DVD :shake:

Hopefully when they'll do 2112 (surely the next album to get 5.1 treatment) will include the classic album doc

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I hope he backs off and masters this one right.

22. pmckeeaalaska

I guess I'm going to just have to by both versions to make sure I cover all my bases. I just hope its not a waste of money and redundant.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Unless I'm missing something, it isn't necessary to buy both versions from an audio standpoint. The Blu-Ray just adds Hi-Def video. The DVD will serve me well.

24. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

That's my assessment too, as I'm not worried about HD video here I will get the DVD-A version.

25. agentalbert

That can't be right. Doesn't the Blu-Ray have lossless surround sound while the dvd (unless it's a dvd-audio using MLP) would have to resort to lossy 5.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.