Rush MFSL Update

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guardian, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Let's assume for the sake of argument the master of MP was used for all the CD pressings of MP and any compilation. Taking into account that tape is now bordering on 30 years old (wow!), that makes:
    Original LP/tape
    Original CD
    Chronicles
    MoFi
    Remaster (includes the Retrospective discs)
    Sprit of Radio 1-disc
    Gold (not sure the source, but let's assume it was the master)
    Atlantic CD from Japan (early 90s)
    Sony 25.8P from Japan (late 80s)

That's a lot of wear and tear, not to mention we don't know the storage conditions (which I assume were as optimal as possible).

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Didnt they use saftey copys of Who Are You, Tommy & Aja? Those sound good. Why can't they do that here?

3. StyxCollector

Well, I think it's two things:

1. MoFi wants to use the real deal
    2. We assume Rush has good safeties

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Because the world wide internets weren't around back then. Less people to bitch so openly about them not using the original masters. :agree:

5. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

As decent as the MOFI rush titles are they dont hold a candle to the original vinyl

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

When was the last time the "Hemispheres" master tapes were used? Surely that album should be made available for use. I understand though with 2112, Moving Pictures, etc.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

What really sucks is that this news broke before I had a chance to buy up the Rush MFSLs I did not have. :D

In many ways, this is good news as it shows MFSL has a quality standard.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I thought they were sticklers for the original tapes...? Is there any evidence to support this?

9. StyxCollector

Probably the remasters in '95 (I believe that was the year; maybe it was '97) and any songs on the 1-disc hits package.

Also remember that not using them also leads to deterioration sometimes. Considering some of the tapes back then were not the best quality ...

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

If Anthem is willing to relicense those 3 titles, why wouldn't they allow MFSL to re-release the previous versions of those discs? If they sound good, reprint them as they are.

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Good point.

12. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

come on. I think your sarcasm meter needs a tune-up. did you see what I was responding to?

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If Steve did the Rush albums, he would do what he thought was best to preserve the integrity of the tapes used. I'm sure he isn't quaking in his boots over threats of negative reviews from the peanut gallery. Frankly, with the quality job he does, he shouldn't give a damn. I wouldn't.

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Personally, Ill let my ears do the talking. I dont care either way. If it is the best sounding version on cd my ears dont go... " Eww.. safety copy". And I wonder if the audiophile companies would just put a disclaimer regarding this if more people wouldnt simply say the same. If its still the best sounding version.. its STILL the best sounding version.

15. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I think thats the good thing about Steve actually... he does care. And I think it should always make a difference concerning customer input. Up to a point.

Anyway, I guess this isnt really on topic though ... back to Rush.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I completely agree. Just look at the Tape Project. The tapes people are raving over are third generation copies. I bet they sound great (not that I'm going to buy them for that much money).

17. rushed again

rushed again Senior Member

Well this is sad news that original tapes only 20-30 years old are not fit for an audiophile re-master. Seems like a bit of history was just stolen out of our hands. Wonder what the condition is of the second generation tapes and how they sounded in comparison.

I'm not so proud that I wouldn't purchase something labeled from 2nd gen tapes from a favorite band if the sound was good. :)

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:confused: Are you sure Jamie? I thought the whole point of the Tape Project was a 1 to 1 transfer of the master.

They sounded amazing at RMAF on the EAR R2R.

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah, they take the master and make a copy (onto 1" half track if I'm not mistaken) and then make the members dubs from that dub. I bet they still sound great.

I wonder if they dub them backwards? Anyone know?

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

They create a 1" two track running master from the original to generate the tapes.

21. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

"They have deemed that the original masters should not be used for any future re-mastering .."

So, the tapes will just sit there and never be played again? They might as well throw them away.

22. StyxCollector

They'll either make a new safety or transfer to hi-rez digital, and anything subsequent will be cut from those.

23. rushed again

rushed again Senior Member

I could keep them in my curio cabinet.

24. StyxCollector

Well, let's also be clear here what we're discussing: the mixed stereo masters. We're not talking about the multis which may have play left in 'em (clearly ... they used the MP ones for Rock Band).

And they didn't say they're unplayable. My guess is Anthem realizes that some of the tapes don't have many plays left, so if the actual original master is going to be used, it better be for the right reason.

25. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Well, if they're going to plaaay them, might as well feed them into a Kensei Audio Transposer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.