Roxy Music on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Have you tried the Discogs site, they might have them? They look nice, I've never seen those versions in the flesh. The extra number on the spine means they won't be very old EGCD ones which is a good thing, as some of them are UK PDO discs like my RM & FYP & might be prone to that PDO bronzing/decay problem.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Don't you want to wait and see what the new boxset is like, it could be definitive?

3. BlueSpeedway

Good point, it's relatively cheap too. I'm not a vinyl is the be all and all person,
    but if someone involved in the new set has made them sound like the UK LPs it'll be a sublime set.

4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Not to over generalize, but I dug out a batch of original (US, not UK) vinyl and thought they sounded pretty murky next to the HDCD, particularly Country Life and Stranded, in that there were sounds and instruments which just kind of melted into the mix on the vinyl.

5. BlueSpeedway

I've never heard a US Roxy LP, but the Island UKs up until at least/including Siren are absolute beauties. If the US LPs are crud then maybe the HDCD remasters are preferable to them, but even a pseudo-audophile like me could not call them good CDs after hearing the music sound so much better/different.

6. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

OK, I managed to find all the barcode numbers for the EGCDs. I'm presuming all the numbers in brackets starting 5012985 should be the picture disc editions like the ones in the pictures in a previous post but I can't guarantee this.

Roxy Music – 077778648024 (5012985300629)

For Your Pleasure – 077778653424 (5012985300827)

Stranded – 077778648123 (5012985301022)

Country Life – 077778648222 (5012985301626)

Siren – 077778696025 (5012985302029)

Manifesto – 077778635529 (5012985303828)

Flesh + Blood – 077778640622 (5012985304627)

Avalon – 077778637424 (5012985305020)

These can be found cheaply for around £2-£5 each, so looking at about £20-£25 to get all these second-hand.
    I'm still interested in the boxset if the sound is good and for the bonus tracks, but I much prefer buying individual CDs in jewel cases rather than boxsets.

7. I have heard the original vinyl and to your point you are right however as you pointed out you sacrifice the lack of "balls" for the soundstage so it's a bit of a trade off.

The U.S. final never impressed me all that much the UK, on the other hand, was a marked improvement.

8. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

Found info for a Manifesto CD with number 5012985303828, but it is not a picture disc.
    I am at a loss now :confused:, don't know how to determine the picture disc editions.
    Need another members help here, so if anyone has the picture disc versions then please post info, thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

Maybe those 5012985's are the very early ones you are referring to.

Maybe I should just settle for the CDs starting with 0777786----- and not worry about trying to find the picture discs, unless someone who has them can supply the correct info.

10. BlueSpeedway

The discs of those two picture discs above have EGCDP numbers on the discs, can you not determine the PDs for sale online by having that prefix.

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The Barcode for original issue is 5 012985304627
    NANDD.jpg

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Another point is the bar-codes starting with 07777 were issued after 1990 and don't necessarily have the same mastering as the originals. This actually applies to all UK EMI/Virgin CDs.

13. BlueSpeedway

I think there's at least three (European) EGCD masters, the very first post-Polydor ones, the next lot, which in the UK were mastered by Nimbus & were a bit brighter, then finally the 07777 prefix ones. They're all preferable to the HDCDs though IMO from what I've heard over the years, & probably are the same bar slight EQ?

14. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

I found on Discogs the boxset of picture disc versions with the first three albums all have the 07777 numbers the same as the non-picture disc versions.

The actual number for the boxset is 077778653301

Notes▼

Collectors' Edition
    3 Limited Edition Picture Discs in cardboard flip-top box.

Roxy Music (0777 7 086480 2 4/EGCDP 6)
    ℗ 1972 E.G. Records Ltd.
    © 1984 E.G. Records Ltd.

For Your Pleasure (0777 7 86534 2 4/EGCDP 8)
    ℗ 1973 E.G. Records Ltd.
    © 1984 E.G. Records Ltd.

Stranded (0777 7 86481 2 3/EGCDP 10)
    ℗ & © 1973 E.G. Records Ltd.

This compilation ℗ & © 1992 Virgin Records Ltd.

[​IMG]

15. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

You need to be sure that your player decodes HDCD to fully benefit from the format. No I never heard the Lps so I cannot compare.

16. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

Apparantly according to posts #29-31 there is no difference in actual sound quality playing these HDCD discs on standard CD players, they are about 6.0db louder on HDCD player but that can be compensated by turing up the volume control.

17. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

I'm interested in the Complete Studio Recordings boxset now, I see they will come in individual replica gatefold sleeves.

Found at sainsburys for £44.99.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

Are your EGCDs with the barcode numbers 0777786----- ?

Have been re-reading some of this thread and as far as I can make it out the earlier EGCD discs with barcode numbers starting 501298530---- are identical to the Polydor West German pressings.

So, I am wondering what sounds better, the 50129's or the later versions which start 0777786 in the barcode/catalogue numbers.

Sorry, this is all confusing. :confused:

Thanks.

19. BlueSpeedway

I've probably confused it more than I've helped, as my impressions cover 20 years of hearing/getting Roxy CDs, many of which have come & gone from my collection, some of which I tested in a record store I used to run & never brought home etc, but to try & clarify from my experience/memories, based on various Roxy/Ferry CDs over the years. I can't compare each album as I no longer have them all on each version:

1: Polydor West German: good sound, a bit lacking in clarity compared to original UK LPs.

2: EGCDs: Mastered by Nimbus written in hub of disc, NO 07777 number on spine or disc: quite similar to above but slightly louder & brighter, slightly clearer either due to better tape source or due to the brighter EQ.

3: EGCDs: With 07777 number on spine & disc, Made in Holland: very similar to above but different EQ, slightly less bright.

If I were you I'd just go for any of the above EGCDs if you see them cheap, the differences between the versions I've heard are very minimal. If you want a whole matching set I'd go for the 07777s as they seem to be easier to find being more recent the others. Although it might be better to wait until the new set is out, even if it's not good it'll probably make the older CDs even easier/cheaper to find as people who've bought the new set get rid of their Polydors or EGCDs. :righton:

20. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The UK 0777's are what I ended up with on cd for all the albums before Manifesto as I found them the least diagreeable sound wise. I do like the original West German manifesto, Flesh and Blood and Avalon a lot.

21. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I've heard the CDs will be housed in digisleeves.

22. BlueSpeedway

Yeah, I agree there is some variations in preferences in there isn't there if you directly compare. That's why it's hard to say a whole range is definitively better, for instance I prefer the debut on WG Polydor over the EGCD, but I slightly prefer the Stranded EGCD over the WG Polydor. It's very slight though, and probably just a system dependent thing.

23. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

The first six Bryan Ferry solo albums I ordered second-hand for around £3 each arrived today.
    They are all the early pressings with 5012985 in the barcodes.
    My copy of Boys And Girls pressed in the UK has the bronze look covering the entire top/label side of the disc. The playing side looks normal but unfortunately when I tried to play the disc it get's the jitters during the 2nd and 3rd track and sticks. I gave up after that and stopped the disc.
    Is this common for the defect to be on the label side or is it usually the playing side that is affected?

Let's Stick Together is also a UK (PDO) pressing and has a very light golden tint on the label side but that played without any problems.

The other discs I have are pressed in either Austria or Germany and have no discoloration and are fine.

Mbe likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Bump!

I'd like to get a copy of the early Bete noire disc and was wondering if someone with the Virgin CDV 2474 cd could post EAC peak levels, just to see if the early Reprise/WEA and Virgin editions share the same mastering or not..thanks in advance :)

25. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Interesting reading entire thread... I am contemplating getting the Box despite having the Ludwig's and original EG's spread between the early West German and the UK 'S which I started downloading to the computer do some comparisons and came across the fact that indeed my Manifesto,Flesh and Blood,and Siren are gold ..can't recall original color...since 1999 have not reached back to them but am enjoying Siren EGCD 20 012985302029...Finding overall brightness of Ludwig both irritating and refreshing, bringing out sublime hidden nuances but at times overly bright.
    My original vinyl copies I now find muddy and congested and having mixed feelings if Box is a waste of money?
    I especially like Stranded..any comments if I am missing out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.