Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slapbass, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Manifesto is a must-have for the title track which is essential RM IMO. And it's not alone, there's at least one great side to be found here. Flesh & Blood... nope, can't stick up for that one.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I concur! The song Manifesto is an overlooked gem in my book, rather unique for them and certainly one of the major post-hiatus highlights of their career. I actually enjoy all of side 1, though the second side gets a little bland to me. Flesh & Blood is easily their weakest studio album.

3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

All the manifesto album.....boooooring.

4. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Amen to that. What a song, what an opening track too. Probably the last time Ferry spent more than 5 minutes on the lyrics too.

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Yup, I am with you on both of those. Mannifesto just got played again in the car today. Worts and all I love the sound quality of my early West German issue.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Any album with "Oh Yeah," "Same Old Scene," and "Over You" on it is OK in my book.

7. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love both Flesh And Blood and Manifesto. Each to his own as both CD's have great songs IMO.

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

you picked the three best tracks (although i never quite got Oh Yeah), but the production is horrible and this is the most (only?) dated album in their discography IMO.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

To me, the mid-period albums sound more dated than the early ones and later ones, but I suppose everyone comes at these things from a different perspective.

10. I'll stick up for "Manifesto"--it's a strong album although side two does dip in quality a bit. Overall, it's a strong album IMHO.

"Flesh + Blood" has a handful of good songs but it's got waaayyy too much filler on it and comes across as a hybrid of one of Ferry's covers solo albums and a Roxy dance album.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

To me it is the bridge between the early style and Avalon. It is not a bad album in my books, I prefer it over Manifesto with the remixes. Take away the awful remixes and then I prefer the earlier LP.

12. howlinrock

So has anyone seen an official delay to this box set ?

13. Are you referring to "Stranded", "Country Life" and "Siren"? All three sound far from dated to me and sound less dated than "Flesh + Blood".

As Barry points out "F+B" is very much a transitional album between the two styles the band had left behind ("Manifesto" to some degree is a transitional album as well although it has stronger material and still has considerable bite--each side representing the direction the band had left behind and the direction they were going towards).

I still find their best albums to be (not necessarily in this order) "For Your Pleasure", "Stranded", "Country Life" although I like "Siren" and "Manifesto" almost as well.

14. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Running Wild from Flesh and Blood knocks me out.

15. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The odds are good I will pull the trigger on this set. In the meantime, the Manchester Manifesto CD/DVD set just arrived in my mailbox last week. I don't think this is an official catalog release recognized by Roxy Music, but I don't think it's a bootleg either (I bought it off Amazon). Must be something with licensing/rights. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the CD is pretty good. I like it more than Viva!

Attached Files:

16. Which show is the Oakland, CA or L.A. show?

"Manifesto' was a good tour for the band even though they were paired down to a five piece as I recall.

17. howlinrock

From here: http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/

03 April 2012

The Complete Roxy Music

Just to update on 'The Complete Roxy Music' CD box set: the box set was due for relase on 2nd April but has been put back until June/July this year.

The deluxe edition of the first Roxy Music will be released late in the year with no release date confirmed but should be around early November.

18. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Just got a message from Amazon.DE and they tell me the set is CANCELLED !!!

19. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

same here!

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

You're cancelled too?

21. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Flesh + Blood contains perhaps my favorite Roxy Music song, "No Strange Delight".

Later, Chris

22. Tristero

:righton: I agree with your preferences all around. For Your Pleasure has always been a favorite, but I also think Stranded has aged quite nicely.

I think you're right about F+B being transitional, reaching towards the slicker sound they perfected on Avalon. While not a complete disaster (Oh Yeah and Same Old Scene are winners, for example), I find it to be a bit toothless and bland overall. The less said about their cover of Eight Miles High the better!

23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I haven't much time for post-Siren Roxy or Ferry, but I LOVE "Same Old Scene". I got rid of my copies of Flesh & Blood I think, but I play it often from my old German CD of Street Life:20 Great Hits or whatever it's called, sounds great.

24. Tristero

I don't have that one, but I do have Concerto, from the American leg of the Manifesto tour and it's pretty great. The performances may not be quite as fiery as Viva!, but the track listing is stronger, more extensive.

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Update from Amazon, says my order will now ship August 9th. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.