Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slapbass, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

That interests me too. I was dismayed over the HDCD remasters cos the sources were great but they were 'too loud' for critical listening.

2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yep. Me too. I am really hoping the new transfers will be flat(ish) and not compressed.

Unfortunately, there is talk on the VivaRoxyMusic forum that the release has been delayed till December:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=898

Anyone here knows anything about it? Amazon is still taking preorders for April.

3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

NEVER trust Amazon release dates, if this is not listed on Ferry's official site then it's NOT official, period.

..Dec. 21, 2012............ ha ha ha that's the date the world ends.

4. oregonalex

The official press release had April 2nd, 2012 (for the Roxy Studio Box, not for the end of the world ;))

ImportCDs deleted the listing off their site yesterday. It is still on Amazon.

5. Smiths22

Sure, i was refering to the date posted on the link above (http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=898). Someone said december 2012 as a kind of a joke (irony).

It is not on amazon uk......(the imported one doesn't count for me) and as i said amazon can't be trusted.

Same situation with the boxset james the gathering sound....nothing official yet (of course through all these months we've had a lot of false dates).

If it is not here:
    http://www.bryanferry.com/news/
    then it is NOT official.

6. oregonalex

There is nothing there. Neither the press release, nor the delay announcement. Weird. The original press release came from LD Communications
, which claims to handle ALL tour and catalogue Roxy PR, including CDs and DVDs. That should be official enough.

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Any word on the Roxy Music deluxe edition, which interests me more than the box set?

8. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

Not a bad price but still more than I'm willing to pay. I have 4 of the 8 records offered in the box (sans bonus stuff of course) now and was kicking myself for not waiting but now I'm fine.

But I know many of you people are pre-ordering. Know why? Because on the "customers who bought this also bought ..." there are a bunch of AF CDs. LOL!

9. oregonalex

I am surprised there is not more enthusiasm for this release. How do you people listen to RM on digital? I have the Ludwig HDCDs and dislike them strongly.

Just the (now remote) possibility of having unbrickwalled transfer in hi def of all the studio albums makes me wag my tail.

10. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I hope it is delayed, because that could indicate that they're considering adding another disc with the bonus tracks in 24/96. Omitting the bonus tracks from the high-def versions was just wrong.

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I WAS looking forward to this release and pre-ordered with Amazon USA. I have all the various original releases UK & Usa and they sound OK. Bought one HDCD left me cold. Love the idea of DVD-A for their library. The bonus tracks looked great. I guess It will come out at some point. No real official word yet..

12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I hope it is delayed, because that might indicate that they're considering adding another disc with the bonus tracks in 24/96. (Not including the bonus tracks in high-def was just wrong).

13. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Indeed. I can barely think of any material by anybody I want to hear more than that '71 demo.

14. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

I own all the albums on vinyl and CD (plus a few 8-tracks), including the Japanese mini-LP box of the 1st 5...I can't see myself buying this new set.

15. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Whoa! I've been so caught up with the Kinks and McCartney reissues that I didn't even realize this was going on...

I only just recently bought all eight studio albums in the US remastered jewel case editions. I'm not an audiophile so I don't know how they stack up against other existing and potential editions.

I don't have any of the non-album singles since these additions are all bonus track free and I never picked up a best of just for Pyjamarama and Jealous Guy.

I'm also intrigued by the Deluxe Box Set of the first album (always been my favorite). I may wait and see where this reissue program goes before I make any decisions.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have the Thrill of it All box, both SACD`s, Ludwig remasters and original discs from Japan so I have lots to comb through. I still look forward to the release of this new set.

17. Smiths22

Between the thrill of it all box and the HDCD's which are better? IMO both sound different but i don't have a winner.

18. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

I'm OK with the Ludwig HDCDs. $93 for the possibility they'll sound better isn't enough to entice me. They could also sound worse or be a tossup. Once we find what the CDs sound like then we'll see. But I can live with what I have.

19. +1.

I've rebought their catalog so often I feel like I deserve a room at Ferry's house when I come to the UK. :D

20. Smiths22

Me too

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So, if I understand this correctly, the new box set will offer new mastering of all eight albums on CDs with bonus tracks. It will also offer all eight albums on four 24/96 DADs (stereo-only) mastered flat from the original tapes with no bonus tracks. If this is correct, then it suggests that the CDs and DADs will have different mastering. Does that sound right? I don't recall reading anywhere that the CDs would be mastered flat like the DADs.

It sounds like a nice box set for $93, but the choice of stereo-only DADs is curious. I'm also concerned about the mastering of the CDs.

22. Henry66

Henry66 Forum Resident

What's a 'DAD'?

23. Smiths22

A father

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Digital Audio Disc. It's a fancy name for DVDs with hi-rez stereo PCM audio. DADs pre-date DVD-Audio. DVD-Audio added hi-rez surround sound.

25. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Depending on how they sound I'll be getting "S/T" through "Siren". All must haves IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.