Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slapbass, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.P.

S.P. New Member

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Is that this one?

[​IMG]

I've got that & for what it's worth, I checked Pyjamarama on it last year as I only have that track on 2 CDs. On the above, it sounded really awful, ear-searingly metallic, loud, harsh, compared to this, where it sounded very nice:

[​IMG]

3. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I probably will get this set for the dvds

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I have no idea of price, but I'm guessing at $149, any other opinions?

5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That's a case where the single version -- 3:45 -- replaced the album version when Manifesto arrived on CD. The original album version -- 4:18 -- eventually managed to escape from oblivion when it turned up on the Thrill Of It All collection.

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That is absurd! Some of those single versions are more famous than the album versions. They deserve to be in high resolution. No sale. Bad enough that they were forcing people to buy extra CDs just to get the high resolution DVDs. Now they're too cheap to include the bonus tracks in high def on the DVDs?

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Just wondering, will the DVD music be in a format like the old Classic Audio 96/24 music only DVDs. I had a demo copy of a Chris Whitley album in that format and at the time, late 90s or so, I was not bowled over. A follow up question is how easy will it be to extract those 96/24 Audio DVD tracks to listen on an iPhone type device?

If the high resolution versions are easily converted to iTunes/iThingy use, I would be more willing to buck up.

Cheers

8. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

My curiosity is up for this one. I love collecting artists box sets that are complete studio.
    I have the SACD of Avalon, but would love to hear their complete catalog in Hi Res.

9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

There are dozens of PC/Mac programs to extract audio from a DVD however, as far as I know, you can't play 96/24 audio on an iPhone and you will have to downsample, so I am not sure I see any difference in ripping the audio from the DVD rather than simply using the CD as source if you want something to play on an iPhone.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Is Virginia Plain considered as a bonus track these days since it's become part of the CD album?

11. sound chaser

As much as I adore the first two Roxy Music albums, and the corresponding singles "Virginia Plain" and "Pyjamarama", they are sonic misfits IMO and would fit on neither.

Although "VP" was included on the US vinyl I understand, and subsequent cd issues, the Englishness in my mind precludes me from accepting them as album tracks, it is a shame however that they are not hi-rez, oh well - back to needle dropping I guess :)

Where is Dr. Weber in all this anyhow?

12. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Price? cover?

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not all of 'em. My EU HDCD mini-LP is just the original 9 tracks.

14. Once the album was issued on an American label and manufactured in the U.S. (and/or North America) it went back to the 10 track album mirroring the original U.S. vinyl.

15. This sounds interesting. If it's not very expensive I may get it.

16. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I sure hope this doesn't get botched somewhere along the line...

17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

18. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

That's a compelling price for the entire set of albums in high-resolution 96/24 stereo.

I guess one of the big remaining questions for me is how these albums will be mastered (do we even know yet who will be doing the 96/24 remasters?), but so far I'm still interested in possibly purchasing this one, based on what we know so far. :)

Craig.

20. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

21. sound chaser

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Just wondering, will there be a Bryan Ferry box?

23. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

shipping to the UK is a flat rate of €6

24. sound chaser

It's been talked about for years and frankly it should have occupied the time and space of "The Thrill Of It All" Roxy Music box set now that it would appear redundant after this release.

25. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.