Rolling Stones Vinyl Box Sets Nov 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr5D, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

According to Acoustic Sounds track-listing, the stereo mix of 'Let's Spend The Night Together' will make another appearance on Through the Past Darkly. Just wanted to stick my oar in to say I think that stereo version is a total disaster, with all the energy and groove taken out of it. The vastly superior mono single mix should always come first.

Also curious to see it is listing a stereo version of Have You Seen Your Mother...? on Hide Tide and Green Grass. Didn't think there was a stereo mix - a mistake, then?

2. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

The very same mistake appears on the Rolled Gold+ CD track information, and it's definitely the mono mix.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The SACDs work for me.

4. Mr5D

Mr5D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe they will get it right this time? Well one can dream! I'd love to hear a stereo version of this though I do love the midrange monster that is the mono version :)

5. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I hope they release these LPs separtely..especially want Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon..quite expensive on Ebay..

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are they high priced, I didn't know that. Those and Stripped are the last Stones albums I bought on LP.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Agreed.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

If you're in a major center with used record stores, these later titles sometimes show up at great prices. I got both VL and BrtB for around $20 in mint condition.

9. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Are they good on LP? I often see BtB on vinyl new and not so expensive.

10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I want an all mono Flowers as that's my favorite Stones album!

11. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

New Rolling Stones Box Sets

Whats the deal on these new box sets from Universal?
    Havent seen much on them. Original Sources?

12. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

I've heard rumors that on Volume #1 - all of the albums will be utlizing the original mono masters - except for "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed" and "Through The Past Darkly.

If true, it will be nice to get the original mono mixes of "Aftermath", "Between The Buttons" and "Their Satanic Majesties Request".

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Wait - the ABKCO stuff is going to be distributed by Universal now, too?

14. southp

southp New Member

Is the version of Exile going to be the same as the recent reissue?
    If so I don't think it's bodes well for the rest of these "remasters".

15. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

What kind of rumours? The wishful thinking kind that we can safely ignore or the insider tip kind? Do you believe them?

16. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

On Music Direct's website, it says:
    So I'd say it's more than a rumor at this point.

However, here is how it lists the contents:
    So the question is how do you interpret what is meant by "the first five Stones albums"? I'd say it means at the very least everything up through Out of Our Heads will be mono.

Now, are they counting the EPs as albums? What about the Big Hits Comp? Depending on how they are counting, Between The Buttons and Aftermath might also be mono, but I tend to think they just mean the first five releases listed.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I thought it had been for the last 20-something years.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Since I have all the Stones' albums in their original incarnations -- and they're all mint, too -- I'm passing on these.

19. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It's not the first 5 ALBUMS which will appear in Mono,but the first 5 TITLES in the box, which is:

The Rolling Stones (EP)
    The Rolling Stones (LP)
    Five By Five (EP)
    No. 2
    Out Of Our Heads

We will get "Time Is On My Side (guitar)", "Down The Road Apiece" & "I Can't Be Satisfied" in Mono for this reissue.

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

ABKCO has been distributed by Universal since 2002.
    The Rolling Stones themselves have also signed with Universal, which means that future products will be easier to release.

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Any news on the sources for the second box set - 1971 - 2005 ???
    Digital obviously, but 44.1/16, 96/24 ????
    Given they are using that dreadfully bad recent "Exile" reissue remastering, I think this box is seriously suspect.

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I would *love* to give myself a couple of big Christmas gifts with these box sets, but from what I'm reading, I'm better off saving my money...most of my Stones vinyl consists of the 1986 digitally sources, I was hoping for an all analog set. I think I'd rather take the $800 that it would cost me and invest it in earlier pressings of US/UK vinyl, even if it meant something that was only in VG condition...

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

There are lots of post-Abkco Stones LPs out there used in NM condition. The hardest two to find are Sticky Fingers and Exile, but even those show up if you're patient.

24. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

amazon.de has the sets for 169.99 € and 208.99€

25. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

No >mono< "Aftermath", "Between The Buttons", "Their Satanic Majesties Request"...no money down.
    I'll pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.