Rolling Stones Vinyl Box Sets Nov 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr5D, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Yes!

2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

They Look nice (UK Config) :) but will they sound nice. Or nice as NM originals?

3. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I doubt it, but we can only hope.

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

If they're sourced from the same DSD masters as the 2003 Abkco reissues, and mastered for vinyl as well as those were, then they'll indeed sound nice.

5. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

6. Mr5D

Mr5D Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. Actually, the list is:

The Rolling Stones (EP)
    The Rolling Stones (UK)
    Five By Five (EP)
    The Rolling Stones No. 2
    Out Of Our Heads (UK)
    Aftermath (UK)
    Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) (UK)
    Between The Buttons (UK)
    Their Satanic Majesties Request
    Beggars Banquet
    Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) (UK)
    Let It Bleed
    Metamorphosis

Aftermath comes in at no. 6. So they're cutting off mono right when things would get interesting. Certainly not a surprise but disappointing from my perspective.

8. Mr5D

Mr5D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oops, yes i meant No. 6 - clearly I can't count today! But yeah cutting it off when things get interesting was exactly my point.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh, well. Another great box that I'll never own. Just too pricey.

10. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

can you help me?

what is a DSD reissue?

sorry to display ignorance...

11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

12. Bill Camarata

Bill Camarata Listening When Possible

I was looking for the announcement on the Stones' site, please share a link.

At over $25 per disc, this is waaay too pricey. I bought the Exile box because I got a good deal on it, but this is insane.
    It would be nice to be able to buy the individual LPs just to fill the holes in my collection.

Notice there are no live albums in these boxes. To be continued, perhaps?

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

14. Bill Camarata

Bill Camarata Listening When Possible

15. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

I'm sure the price will come down...I thought I saw the Sony Dylan boxset first advertised at around $289, then it came down over $100 when it was released.

Rick

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

If they are using the same DSD re-masters for these vinyl releases as was used on the 2002 SACDs, it is impossible for them to sound any better than the SACDs, all things (ie. hardware) being equal. After all an SACD player bypasses the groove/pickup interface of the turntable interface. The DSD stream is processed by the amplifiers in its pure original form.

17. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

In theory, but what really dictates is equipment synergy... actually, I would prefer these to be of the best analog sources, as all analog vinyl discs I have that were mastered using the same source and at the same time/studeo, sound better than their SACD equivalant..

Rick

18. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Damn, would love to buy the first five but I have absolutely no use for the other ones.. Kind of like with the Mofi box. :-/
    And 5X5 not being stereo is kinda disappointing too, seeing as the mono mixes are reductions of the stereo.

19. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Oh...I wouldn't be too concerned about availability of single issue LPs. You'll see them pop up individually on ebay quite quickly after release. ;)

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yet they do. Don't forget that the vinyl was cut using the DSD files as source, but they were mastered for vinyl by Don Grossinger.

Plus, there are euphonic advantages to the vinyl. The example I often give is the intro to Love In Vain from Let It Bleed. On the SACD, the separation at the beginning is absolute. It sounds like vocal, guitar, and then drum tracks were recorded individually in separate spaces as dry, analytical, isolated tracks. On the vinyl version, the combination of crosstalk, etc., gives the sense that it's a recording of a single performance done live.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why don't you like the MoFi box? It sounds pretty good to me, although I do prefer the UK Decca's.

22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Will be interesting to see what sources were - or will be used - for these.
    For Box set 1, the '60s, I'd bet they just press the DSD files to vinyl. Given what's come out of the Stones/ABCKO/Universal lately, it's hard to imagine anything else.
    The DSDs sound pretty good, but if you've got good copies of the original Deccas - there's no point.

For box set 2, maybe it will be done analog. Though I think it's highly, highly unlikely. I guess worse case we'll get the CD 44.1/16 files pressed to vinyl. If we're lucky I guess we could get 96/24 but you just never know. Maybe it will done in nice, loud, very crappy 44.1/24 like the recent "Exile" reissue debacle. Now that was a truly disgraceful reissue.
    Given the record, I'd say it will be a mixed bag of high and low resolution digital. With little or no information which is which.
    So I would really be asking here - what's the point????

On the other hand, if "Stripped" and "Voodoo Lounge" were remastered analog to analog using the original analog master tapes, I'd pick up that set in a minute, no hesitations. Just to get those two in good sound it would be worth it.

23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I don't agree that vinyl sounds euphonically superior to any other medium all things being equal. Yes vinyl has its own characteristic sound, and is nostalgically preferable to some people. Also I don't buy the crosstalk argument. Surely channel isolation is preferable to crosstalk.

24. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I meant to say I'd only be interested in the mono LP's from the mofi box. :)

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Not when the resulting recording sounds like isolated tracks instead of a unified performance.

Anyway, this thread isn't vinyl versus digital. It's about upcoming Stones releases on vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.