Rolling Stones post Abkco CDs: Virgin Remasters or Originals?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Sorry for the cross post.

The Philadelphia Broad Street FYE had vintage CBS editions of Black and Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue. I hope to hear some quality vintage tape hiss over the weekend. For anyone else who is inspired check, Amazon for Sticky Fingers through Dirty Work in the title and CBS or 1990 in the detailed descriptions.

Happy listening, Michael

2. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That's interesting George. What changed your mind?

My apologies if you have already explained earlier in the thread, but I don't recall seeing it.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The extra bass in a few of the Virgin CDs, especially Sticky Fingers, was what originally made me like them. The compression used in the mastering is what ultimately made me not like them as much as the CBS CDs.

4. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Yeah the CBS CDs can veer towards the tinny side. There's one in particular that sounds this way to me. I was listening to it recently - I think it was Tattoo You. I probably should dial a little bottom end into it.

5. George P

I haven't got to that one yet. I have been working through chronologically. It's up next, in the next week or so.

Just sent you a PM. :wave:

6. I like the Virgin discs generally the best for sound. The inserts are much better on the Virgins than the CBS discs, especially the USA discs.

the only major complaint about the Virgins in the spine fonts are so small, I can't read them on the shelf. The type is microscopic - I guess I'm getting old! ;)

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Case by case.

8. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I'm happy with the original CBS CD's (Japan for Europe), warts and all. The Virgin CD's sound a little fatiguing to me (especially at higher volumes). The CBS CD's on the other hand have that natural and 'untampered with' sound that many CD's released in the early/mid 80's have.

9. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That's the main thing I like about them. I'm prepared to wear a little lightness in the bottom end, lower resolution from early converters, and possibly copy tape degeneration (I don't know if those old CDs used the master tapes, but I would have thought it unlikely) to get that sound.

It's such a crying shame that the vast majority of remastered CDs done with superior sources and mastering gear weren't also mastered with that early "hands off" approach.

10. George P

:agree:

11. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

It's soothing to know I'm not the only one who sheds tears over it :laugh:

12. George P

It's always nice to learn that others are suffering too. :laugh:

13. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn."

14. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Case by case, but in most cases I prefer the Virgins. I haven't heard the new remasters yet, but I don't like the idea that they're all maxed up, even though some titles seem to reveal more details in the recording.
    I do plan to pick up the Exile remaster though. The CBS copy that I have does leave plenty of room for upgrading IMO. I know that the Virgin disc is preferred on this forum, but I never got around to pick up that one.

Oh, and count me in on RussellG's 'crying shame' remark.

15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have a Virgin Black and Blue mini lp sleeve cd in ex condition that I'm about to sell.I picked up a SHM Black and Blue which I prefer.I will also be selling a Virgin mini Sticky Fingers once the SHM is releases June 30th.

16. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

So are the current 2009 remasters not worth mentioning, are they really that bad?

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

They're not that bad. I still prefer the Virgins in most (but not all) cases. I think the issue with the poll here is that it was started in 2008, before those 2009 remasters were out!

18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

This thread pre-dates the release of the newest remasters. We need an updated poll :) (OTOH, I doubt adding the newest remasters to the poll would be helpful to George ;))

19. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

It's Only Rock 'n Roll is the only one of the 2009 remasters that I've heard that sounds better than the previous releases. I'm playing 'Time Waits For No One' as I type, but playback is through computer speakers so it's hard to compare with my home setup.

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I liked the Sticky Fingers master slightly more than my original. It seemed like their was more body to it.

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, that was one of the Universals that I liked too, along with IORR. Still haven't heard Goats Head Soup, however, as I've been trying to make sure I get an uncensored copy...

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So which are the SHM versions. Which label and release year? How does one find out about the release date? I am looking for best versions of Sticky, Let It Bleed, Goats, and Beggar to start.

23. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

Crikey they bothered with a longer version of Slave? I thought the original released version was about 3 minutes too long! ;)

I'll stick with my CBS discs - got them all in that tidy box set from 1990

24. George P

:laugh:

I can never have enough reminders about modern remastering. I sometimes get taken in by all the bells and whistles.

I only have heard the 2009 Sticky Fingers and it is LOUD.

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Listening to the CBS Undercover. Sounds really good. Anyone has compared it to the Virgin remaster?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.