Rolling Stones post Abkco CDs: 2009 Remasters, Virgin Remasters or Original CBS CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I agree, but if you own it already and it is too loud, you can use ReplayGain or iVolume or one of those programs, with a setting of 89 dB, and it tames it pretty nicely. Of course, this means you can't listen "out of the box".

As for me, went out and bought all the Virgin issues when they came out, and liked them. But a few years ago, for the hell of it, I listened to my old CBS Black and Blue. Now the Virgin mini-LP editions sit on the shelf, and the CBS discs get played.

One other thought - all the CBS discs were not mastered by the same individual, as the Virgins and Universals are. My favorites from CBS are Black And Blue, Emotional Rescue and the Rewind compilation. I found it funny after reading an interview with Greg Calbi about mastering Exile for CBS, in which he described it as his favorite album, that they halted production because he found a better tape...but somehow didn't bother to fix "Sweet Virginia".

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, by "loud" I mean that it hasn't got any dynamics. ReplayGain can't fix this.

3. GetHappy!!

'Tis true, the dynamics are squashed. The ReplayGain comment was more for the individual that already had the Universal copy of Black And Blue and seemed to be hedging on sending it back. The volume adjustment might make it more tolerable. Sorry, I should have been more clearer. :)

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Woiuld that accomplish something different than simply turning it down would?

5. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

So, you're the other guy out there who bought one...

:laugh:

Muggles likes this.
  6. GetHappy!!

Well, in my experience, it levels it off a bit. I only did this because I bought the damn thing (Sticky Fingers, that is), along with the Universal It's Only Rock 'N Roll and the EQ wasn't too bad - actually better than the Virgin editions to my ears, but it was WAYYY too loud. I wasn't making this recommendation so people go out and buy it, it just seemed that the poster wasn't too interested in returning the copy he received. Again, it is maxed out, wouldn't suggest purchasing it, but if you already have it like I do, normalizing it can make listening somewhat tolerable.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

A lot of amps sound better with the volume opened up a bit, so to the extent that making source quieter would allow you turn your volume up, it could help somewhat. Obviously, it isn't going to bring back the lost dynamics.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I prefer the Virgin remasters, but the old CBS disc for Exile sounds nice and warm.....

Evan

9. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

1994 Virgin Remasters

10. moops

moops Senior Member

Contacted Newbury Comics regarding the 2009 Universal B & B they sent me instead of the 1994 Virgin, and they have refunded me in full and let me keep the Universal disc !! Great customer service really, you can't argue with that :righton:

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Cool! So in the end you paid what it was worth. ;)

12. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Try to get the original CBS US CD for this one.

13. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Better yet,get the Japanese SHM-CD (best sounding version to date) :thumbsup:

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

surely that's the same 2009 universal remaster he's just got for nowt?

15. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

I bought the ABKCO 16 SACD box set this morning (got a pretty good deal too I think) so I guess my next task will be tracking down the CBS box set or the Virgin Mini-LP 'Collectors Editions', whichever I find first...

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I just got two of the Virgin mini-LP "Collector's Editions" today, Exile and It's Only R'n'R.

They are nice! :thumbsup:

17. moops

moops Senior Member

Well, first I've gotta say, having never owned a copy of Black & Blue, what a little hidden gem it is in the Stones 70s catalogue. Where has it been all my life ? It just seems to have a great little groove all it's own. Now, at the risk of getting smashed, I have to say I think the Universal remaster from 2009 sounds fine. Admittedly, I haven't heard the original CBS which appears to be the audiophile choice, and I was originally chasing the 1994 Virgin to complete the set, but really at this stage I don't think I'll bother ! I understand waveforms should tell me otherwise, but compression or not, I think I understand what Stefan was trying to explain in the Stones Universal remasters thread I was reading today. I'm liking it !! :hide:

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I wonder how many that voted 1994 Virgin Remasters haven't heard the Original CBS?

19. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I had the Virgins of Exile,Sticky,Some Girls,and Black and Blue.ALL are superior to the '09 Universals with the exception of Black and Blue.For that one it appears they found a better source tape (it was mentioned very positively on this forum).I have the Japanese SHM-CD version so I can't say for certain the better tape was used was from Universal as well as the SHM or just the SHM.The sound quality approaches my Sticky Fingers-SHM-SACD IMHO. <offer to sell CD removed - belongs in classifieds>

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just wondering, do the CBS cd's use the same master tapes (i.e. the original masters) as the Virgin remasters?

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Almost definitely not for certain titles, and probably not for others...

22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

That sucks. In that case, maybe ripping the Virgins and taking out 2 or 3 db at 10k in CoolEdit would create the best digital version?

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Or waiting for CD Japan to do the whole post-'71 catalog

24. hammer99

hammer99 Forum Resident

I wonder how many that voted Original CBS haven't heard the original vinyl?

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I wonder how many voted for a version they haven't heard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.