Rolling Stones post Abkco CDs: 2009 Remasters, Virgin Remasters or Original CBS CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Good points.

For me, the big issue in favor of the 2009's is EQ and quality of the A/D converters used. Whatever Ludwig did/used in 1994 imparted a harsh/grating sound to the Virgin remasters. Fortunately, by the time he did the Abkco remasters in 2002, he'd changed something. A couple of nights ago, I was re-organizing my CD rips on a new external hard drive and I compared some of the 2002 Abkco tracks with the 1994 Virgins and the difference is readily apparent. Yet, the 2009 Universals sound much closer tonally to the 2002 Abkcos.

Keep in mind that these are all Flac files with Replaygain values stored in them and played back on Foobar2000 so they are RMS level matched with equal loudness contouring factored in. No one is disputing that the Universals are loud — they're much louder than they need to be. However, once levels are matched, they sound much more natural to my ears.

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I'm not at all impressed with the 2009 packaging. They seemed to make no effort to spruce these up at all. It's just regular jewel cases with standard artwork. Hopefully they'll put a bit more effort into the deluxe Exile.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

1994- Apogee UV22 converter (pro-audio device)

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yep. I wonder what the post-Abkco material would have sounded like had it been transferred to DSD the same as the pre-'71 material.

5. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

I have the Amazon box - I think the printing quality is nicer on the Universal releases, vs the Virgins. Might be better paper stock. too.

- would have been nice to have upgraded packaging, but the print quality is not poor.

6. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Easy-Original CBS

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed, I was a little let down with this aspect. I do really like the Special Editions in the replica sleeves that Virgin did -- that's how I own all of those. Wish Universal had done something like that, but I guess it has been done before so they figured why bother...

Also, once and for all... can anyone actually CONFIRM that the version of GHS in stores now does not have the censored line on "Star Star"?!? I know a lot of us ASSUME it to be like that because the Amazon box doesn't have it, but has anyone actually bought a separate copy and gotten it uncensored yet? I keep holding off on buying it until I get word on this for sure. Thanks!

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

To be honest, I'm really surprised this is such an issue for some folks to the point where it's what determines whether or not they'll buy it instea of mastering issues (I'm not criticizing you specifically hutlock, just expressing surprise). I could better understand if an offending word or line was completely beeped out, silenced, removed, or replaced with another such as with James Blunt's "she could see from my face that I was flying high" (instead of f#@^ing high) but the original line is still there and easy to hear.

Besides, it's a short 3-second section of a song where an extra line was overdubbed. How does it ruin the other 99.875% of the album? The entire album is still there.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh, it wouldn't ruin it at all, and I would have just gone ahead and bought it if it were left the other way. BUT if there IS a corrected version out there, I'd rather have that one, if that makes sense.

Also, I'm just sort of curious about it -- it seems weird that the Amazon box versions don't censor it but the standard issue discs do?

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Same here, but I am interested in this discussion and wanted to give it a bump:)

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Just posted on another thread. I have the Virgin Let it Bleed and Begger's Banquet and like them better than the re-masters I bought. I do like the Sticky remaster a bit better than my original CBS though :confused:

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I used to, too. Now I prefer the CBS.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have compared Black & Blue in its three iterations on CD. I prefered the CBS. The only one that keep sounding better and better as you crank it.
    Mastered by Vlado Meller no less, one of the top ten mastering engineers in my book (he did Bowie's Heathen stereo SACD which is one of the most amazing sounding discs I know).

A question: are the original CBS discs difficult to find? I very rarely see them. The '94 remasters are all over the place.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

For a spell they were but I see the CBS discs pretty often. BTW, I prefer the CBS B+B over the '94. Have not heard the UNI.

15. George P

They are pretty much all available through amazon.us. Used, of course.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No Virgins of those - they're ABKCO, so the options are mid-80s non-US releases, 1986 US, and 2002 remasters...

17. evad

evad Well-Known Member

This is common sense.....to me anyways....but I understand your point. The post implies you have heard all three, but people who have not vote anyway. :confused:

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Any word on the deluxe Exile On Main Street ?

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

You're right, sorry ABKCO, I still stand by my original statement. I bought three 2009 re-masters hoping for better sound. I like the ABKCO's the same.(Beggars's and Bleed) The Sticky Fingers might be marginally better than my CBS.

20. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

I rebought "Some Girls" on Columbia, which I traded in years ago when the '94 Virgin remaster came out. Did a shoot out on my Rotel 1072 and think -- at least to my ears -- that the Columbia has a little less digital "edge" to it, in other words, just a tad smoother. Now may go pick up the other Columbias I once owned and then traded in...

21. George P

Should be a snap. I bought a bunch of them on amazon for $2 - $4 not very long ago.

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm joining you on the re-acquisitions. The Broad Street FYE had vintage CBS editions of Black and Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue. I hope to hear some quality vintage tape hiss over the weekend. For anyone else who is inspired check Amazon for Sticky Fingers through Dirty Work in the title and CBS or 1990 in the detailed descriptions.

Happy listening, Michael

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Those are three really good sounding ones. I think you'll be pleased :thumbsup:

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

The CBS copies are outstanding!

25. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I'm confused. Reading through this thread, one get's the impression that CBS versions are generally the preferred versions, but the pole results tell a totally different story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.