Rolling Stones- It's Only Rock N Roll SHM-SACD Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i have it and i've heard it but only via a dvd player and i don't currently have much to compare it to, just the bad recent remaster and distant memories of an old UK vinyl. i'll play it safe and say that this and the Sticky Fingers disc have me thinking it's time i bought a dedicated player.

NB: i made a simple analogue copy but it looks like some kind of peak limiter kicked in, perhaps something in the player? i hadn't tried this previously so not sure if it's worth a second shot. i really wouldn't read anything into the waveform.

Attached Files:

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Time Waits For No One (6:46) has a cold ending with the percussion slowing to a halt.

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Not as fascinating as posts from people who won't buy something until someone posts about how they think it sounds.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Your posts are the most fascinating of all.

tkl7 likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got it today with Love You Live. To me every bit as good as Sticky Fingers which contrary to some I think sounds fabulous. Anyway, IORR ROCKS! Easily the best digital version I've heard. (including the great 32DP). Another one that you can turn up and it just keeps getting better. Big bass thump and great separation. Always loved this album and version has made me love it even more. Hope they do Black 'n' Blue at some point. And yeah, another great packaging effort. Just wish I could read the liner notes. If somebody who owns this can translate it would be much appreciated. No regrets whatsoever in buying this.

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Interesting... After the fade-out of the music, of course...?

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Does it still sound (for lack of a better term) dolby'd? Always thought this was an effect of the mix and not the mastering...

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

You could put me on your ignore list like most others have done.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Holy crap!! This is definitely worth owning for any Stones fan. Time Waits for No One comes to a dead stop (which I think has been on other official releases, but is pretty unusual). Luxury is the long version (unlike the album). And, Fingerprint File is slowed down to what sounds to me like the natural speed -- I haven't listened to this track in 20 years, and don't have the other CD's w/me, but it's significantly slower.

I guess that's what on the master tape, and I find it very interesting. But, it does raise some issues. If the track was deliberately sped up at the mastering stage, then it's a clear case of creative intent being thwarted by the use of a "flat transfer". On the other hand, if it was never intended to run fast, then the SHM-SACD becomes the only version that reflects original artistic intent.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes indeed. sample here:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IAWB3WVV

current Universal remaster: 6:33 vs SHM-SACD: 7:01

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, that's a significant difference in tempo. I don't think I've ever heard this version before. Mick's vocals sound much more natural. Does anyone know the background on this? Why was is sped up in the first place?

I wonder if the guys at FX Copyroom were aware of what they were doing. If not, this could be the only disc that will ever have this version.

12. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

VERY intrigued, as "Time Waits For No One" and "Fingerprint File" are my favorite tracks from this album.

13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Gonna have to pick this one up, hopefully we'll find out more on how this came about.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

After just a few hours of listening to the SHM-SACD, I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to the any other version of "Fingerprint File". Wow, what a difference!

Just read the liner notes. The writer doesn't explain the reason for speeding up the tape, but he seems familiar with it, so I suspect that hard core Stones fans know about it and that it is available on boot.

Basically: "The biggest highlight [of this disc] is track 10. Don't be shocked when you hear Mick's count in coming from the right channel during the intro - This is in fact the "slow tempo" version, before the pitch was raised by speeding up the final tape. This version, which is 7% lower in pitch than the "normal version", represents the true sound of their studio performance. This version doesn't invalidate the "normal version" that we've been listening to all these years, but one can get accustomed to listening to this version, with it's dull tempo and with the richness of Mick's voice on the lower notes. Of course, the sound of Mick's vocals and "whispers" are much "purer" Obviously, this is the first official release of this version of the song. It's sure to become a topic discussion worldwide among Stones fans."

Hep Alien and grx8 like this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

Dale- Did you pick up Love You Live on SHM-SACD? If so..any thoughts?

17. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

many thanks for the translation, much appreciated. perhaps it was sped up because someone thought it was the best take but needed more "urgency"? the vocals on the "original" now simply sound unnatural.

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Many people mistake Mick for Keith on this song, perhaps because of the speed-up.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have it, but have not had time to listen to it yet. I'll try to do that in the next couple of days.

20. Interesting info, thanks for sharing! Who knows, maybe it was sped up - and 'Time Waits For No One' faded - to shorten each side's album length for sound quality reasons?

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I did. Every bit as good as Sticky Fingers and IORR. Always loved the album anyway but this version, imo, blows away any other version. This group of reissues is to say the least historical. Anybody who digs the Stones, and particularly these 70's issues should think seriously about spending the dough now before they're gone and cost a hell of lot more. Even if you don't like them as much as myself and some others do you'll easily be able to get your money back plus. And as I said in an earlier thread the packaging is second to none.

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I just hope they do the whole post ABKCO catalog...

23. Phoney Baloney

Phoney Baloney Member

Could I ask which Stones title (Sticky Fingers, IORR or Love You Live) sounds the best In you opinion? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these and having vinyl versions, just want to make sure.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I think they all sound great. I would start with your favorite.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that Sticky Fingers sounds the best, but if you have good vinyl versions, I would probably go with IORR because it has three advantages over any vinyl pressing: (i) dead stop on "Time Waits for No One", (ii) long version of "Luxury", and (iii) slow tempo "Fingerprint File". All three are important in my view.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.