Roland's favorite CD versions of Jethro Tull albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I just wish all of Jethro Tull's albums were in that quality.

For me, Skating Away, Songs from the Wood, Thick as a Brick (part 1 only :( ), Minstrel.. are tracks that particularly stand out in Steve's DCC.

But all the tracks sound magic on that disc.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And unfortunately one of the rarest and most expen$ive MFSL's.

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:) That's why it's to die for.
    One of fave CDs, period.

4. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I just listened to this today, on a walk, and it was sublime, thick as a brick especially, just blew my mind on headphone, cheap ones even... oh to have that second side like this... I think this thread is where I should have been asking my Aqualung questions today...

Answer: The Aqualung on MU is the quad version...major differences...

What I played today researching it?

DCC Gold Aqualung
    DDC Gold Original Masters
    MU, german Lp pressing
    JT Manual (82 promo Lp)
    Reprise two-tone Lp
    Reprise WLP

and finally...

Aqaulung quad.

its been a terrific tull day...

5. mrbillswildride

I knew it sounded great, did not know it was rare... This sent me scurrying into my sealed mofi gold cd stash to see if I had an extra... and I do, sweet, what is it going for abouts? also found a sealed passion play, and two sealed copies of Songs from the Wood... sadly, though I really wanted to find my sealed second copy of Living in the Past, my desert island disc, of which I can't find my open copy, and now I can't find my selaed one... a travesty...

6. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

It's very good.

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Warchild goes for the biggest bucks for sure out of all those.....around $200.

8. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

???

Are these mymusicfix prices? The last I checked it was around $60 to $80.

I have no doubt you can find offers out there in the $200 price range, but these don't move.

9. tootull

I'm wondering if WarChild MoFi release numbers are lower because of it's late (UDCD 745) release?

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I wish DCC had done MU and Repeat (would they have fit on one cd?), as Original Masters is the first (of many) redundant Tull comps, IMO. In fact, wasn't it just released as a stopgap while Ian was resting his voice from the 84 tour disaster?

That said, I have the DCC lp, and it does SOUND wonderful.

11. mrbillswildride

I have a feeling this is the case, I research a half dozen sealed Mofi Golds I have and all were "selling" sealed for 200-400+ bucks, but like you said, that is what is offered, maybe one sells now and again to some desperate audiophile junkie..., but I've no doubt they'll grow in value as time marches on... Back into the vaults they go... Damn pissed I can't find my open nor sealed LITP though, my total tull fave, totally essential, and totally MIA...

12. mrbillswildride

I'm with ya, seedrill (I get it...) MU is essential for Rainbow Blues, one of the best rare tull tracks (until recent remasters...) a killer cut, which would sound great on mofi gold... (Why doesn't Steve have a gold Cd label anymore?) Glory Row aint a bad tull too either... Would make a great two-fer... However, the one essential Tull album missing totally form the vast tull gold realm is Benefit, which cries us a song to be released and souled out on gold.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  13. tootull

43:43 and 43:40
    YES! Glorious Rainbow Blues & Glory Row.

...you guys are killing me. Benefit too. Glory be! :D

14. mrbillswildride

2TULL,

I do like your avatar, and Up To Me is my fave tull tume on Aqualung... and your additional comments quote on your profile is classy too... Would I score more browie points if I told you that I personally got Ian to autograph all three of my Mofi 1/2 speed masters: Aqua~Thick~Broadsword? Martin too, and Pegg on Broadsword... In other words you and I (and Roland, and a few others here...:) speak the same language... "With You There to Help Me..."

15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm curious - it seems unanimous from the posts I've seen that the preferred version of A PASSION PLAY is the Mofi edition. Of course, I passed it up a hundred times when it was on the market, and now it's out of my price range.

So my question is, can those who have compared comment on how the Mofi of A PASSION PLAY compares to the original US Chrysalis and the 2003 remaster? Is the Mofi, other than having the tracks indexed, sonically so much an improvement that I should spend the major dough it's gonna cost me?

I had the US Chrysalis and sold it when I got the remaster. I must say though that I don't mind the 2003 remaster at all. A bit loud, perhaps, but it sounds good to me. Comments?

16. tootull

:D Wow! :D Too many too.

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play CD (orig. vs. remaster)
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=64577

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The best I've ever heard A Passion Play is my 7.5 Reel to Reel, it's amazing. The Mofi gold is a close second. Oddly, I've not heard the original US CD, but the US lp seemed muffled by comparison (proviso: it's been a while since I spun my lp copy).

18. tootull

DOG! Lucky dog. :D

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It still kills me to know that Steve mastered a DCC Gold edition of Benefit, then it was cancelled.

Can you imagine?

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  20. tootull

I'm...dead...the silver chord lies on the ground. :laugh:

21. mrbillswildride

I didn't know this...

What a travesty of justice...

What is the opinion here regarding benefit vinyls?

I have US Reprise WLP pressing
    German Chrysalis (iwth bizarre gatefold double exposed photo of Ian)
    Japanese Chrysalis....

Loved to hear others opinion on these three and Uk, I've not A/Bed them.. yet...

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'll try to revive the thread... :)

As anyone compared the german "A" that Roland prefers to the UK or US Chrysalis? How do they sound?

23. tootull

The remaster of "A" rules to me.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's also OK by me but... it's the only one I've ever heard! :laugh:

I was just wondering if the grass was greener with the un-remastered ones... :shh:

25. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I have done some extended listening to my versions of this album lately. Some weeks ago I picked up an original UK green label Chrysalis LP. I have used this as my reference in my listening session.

1. The original Japan for UK CD (CCD 1082): The sound on this is way to bright compared to the LP. I guess they forget to set the pre-emphasis flag when they produced this CD.
    2. The UK Chrysalis: This sounds very close to the LP. A bit brighter and there is also more air in the top end making it sound more open than the LP. Compared to this the LP sounds a little “closed” in. This CD has the widest stereo image of the lot.
    3. The Germany Chrysalis: Actually I ‘m not to found of the sound from this CD. I think it is too bright and thin sounding. It lacks the bloom in the midrange that the LP and the UK Chrysalis CD have. Also the drums sound kind of thin. It has the narrowest stereo image making it sound “dryer” than the others.

This is how I would rank my versions:

1. Original LP: Close to the below mentioned CD but a little duller/closed in. Easier to listen to than the CD because of the softer top end.
    2. UK Chrysalis CD: Very nice bottom end. A lot of air but a little too bright. Wide stereo image.
    3. Germany Chrysalis: Too bright and thin sounding. Narrow stereo image making it sounds dry. Lacks bloom in the midrange. Drums has little impact/fullness/punch.
    4. Japan for UK. Far too bright. Very hard to listen to.