Roland's favorite CD versions of Jethro Tull albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Nov 24, 2007.

1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Here you go, a short clip from the song "Moths":

http://download.yousendit.com/6051B1BD443CEFF4

Let me know what you think.

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Benefit U.S. Chrysalis CD: I did not like the sound of this disc. I tossed that one.

3. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Really? I was under the impression the US Benefit was the forum fave :confused:
    What's your preferred pressing, John?

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I haven't heard the one from the 3 disc box.

Side 2 of "Benefit" has a better left/right balance than side 1. The balance of "Teacher" is off IMO which is why it doesn't fit in with the overall sound of side 2 - the light-right mix doesn't fit the side as well.

I will get my old copy of the "Benefit" remaster back from my bro and compare the bonus track "Teacher" mix with the MoFi (and see what is up with the time difference) - I already know the remaster bonus track of "Teacher" is not the same mix as on the Chrysalis "Benefit".

I shot out the songs common to "Stand Up" and "Benefit" with "Living In The Past. Also the acoustic guitar songs at the end of the MoFi and U.S. Chrysalis "LITP" discs. Here is what I like:

Boruee - "LITP" MoFi (I haven't heard the "Stand Up" MoFi mastering)
    Teacher - "LITP" MoFi (I like the mix)
    Inside - "Benefit" U.S. Chrysalis

Up The Pool - U.S. Chrysalis (the acoustic guitar sound of the MoFi is too hard - EQ choices)
    Dr. Bogenbroom - U.S. Chrysalis (same as above)
    Nursie - U.S. Chrysalis (same as above).

I just found out my Chrysalis "20 Years of Jethro Tull" single disc has "Nursie" taken from "Living In The Past" and I'll compare those when I get my Chrysalis back (currently on loan).

Next up are the 5 tracks common to the DCC "Original Masters" and the two "Living In The Past" sets. "20 Years Of Jethro Tull" has two of these songs to throw in.

5. tootull

forum fave :confused:
    ... the best of a bad lot - Tullman & I prefer Benefit in the Original's box.

6. tootull

:laugh: I was probably listening to Teacher when I tossed it.

7. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Thank you very much for your sample. The UK version I have sound very bright compared to the German Chrysalis. The German Chrysalis sounds less aggressive and has a better balanced sound. It also sounds fuller with a better low end. Based on this sample I prefer the German Chrysalis.

8. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Guys,what you think about CCD1044 W.Germany Aqualung? I like how it sound.
    I suppose to receive next week Ariola 610-XXX (I don't know yet if this cd will be Made in WG or Japan for EU),and will compare.

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I just A/B'd "Teacher" from the "Benefit" remaster and the MoFi. They are the same mix. The remaster version fades earlier, so it is shorter. The remaster version runs a small fraction faster than the MoFi and is probably due to the playback system used during mastering.

If the original U.S. mix is on the U.S. Chrysalis of "Benefit," which version is used on the MoFi and "Benefit" remaster?

The "Benefit" remaster calls it the original U.K. mix. The "20 Years Of Jethro Tull" box set also claims to have the U.K. mix.

Will the real U.K. mix please Stand Up.

OR

Is it possible the version on the U.S. Chrysalis "Benefit" is not the real US mix (I assume the U.S. single and album versions were the same)?

Does any Tull fan have the original LPs and/or singles to compare?

Those are all the questions I have. :wave:

10. street legal

street legal Senior Member

A few posts back, I was mistaken about the "Benefit" remaster having the UK mix of "Teacher", but I do know for sure that the version on the "20 Years" box is the UK mix.

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Have you heard the UK mix outside of the box set? Do you have the 45? I don't doubt you, but I am trying find out what the other mixes are.

It's been a few years since the "Benefit" remasters release and people are still saying the "Teacher" mix is the same as the original "Benefit" and the MoFi. This means people are posting about this track based on what they have read, but have not really listened. I'm just trying to find the real answer based on actual comparisons of all these tracks. Starting with a clean slate IYKWIM.

12. rjstauber

Thanks for your assessment, Bjorn. I am with you on this one, and I'm happy that I seemed to have made the right decision some time ago (when I decided to sell the UK Heavy Horses).

Bjorn, do you have a UK Chrysalis of "A" (from 1980)? I only have a German Chrysalis, and I haven't figured out my favorite version yet. FWIW, the German Chrysalis sounds pretty nice to me.

Also, have you compared the early CCD1380 version of "Broadsword and the Beast" (this one has pre-emphasis) with the later 610 018 German Chrysalis? If so, what is your preference? I can post a sample of the German Chrysalis 610 018.

13. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Sorry, I don't have any of the mentioned albums. If the German "A" sounds nice to you I'm sure it's very good.

If/When I pick up any of the mentioned albums; I’ll let you know what I think.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I like my Benefit from the UK "Originals" box. Actually, those 3 cds sound excellent there.

15. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl Member

Sorry for finding this thread a bit late, but can someone explain to me the difference between the DCC Gold and DCC silver version of Original Masters? Thanks...

16. rjstauber

There is no DCC silver version of "Original Masters".

Of some other albums (e.g. Ray Charles) there are silver and gold DCC versions available. On these, the silver versions usually are earlier masterings on solid state equipment and the gold CD's often are mastered with tube equipment, which creates a little bit warmer sound (preferred by many here).

17. rjstauber

I thought I read somewhere that this set uses noise reduction in places. Is this correct?

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

It states in the liner notes to the "20 Years" box that the version of "Teacher" is from a UK b-side released in January, 1970. Immediately as the song starts, you know you are listening to a different mix of the song. It even sounds like it could be a different take, as it sounds MUCH different than the version on the U.S. LP ("Teacher" was not included on the UK LP).
    On the UK version, the electric guitars are much more subdued, among other specific differences which I cannot recall right now. I had never heard this version until just a few years ago, but when I did, I was amazed at the difference between the UK & U.S. mixes. I far prefer the U.S. mix, for what it's worth. It's just much more alive & rocking.

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks, Fred. We'll take the liner notes as gospel. "20 Years" box is the UK. The original U.S. Chrysalis "Benefit" CD has the US.

The MoFi (and edited version on the "Benefit" remaster - why the edit?) could be a remix? There are the remix credits on the "Living In The Past" sets. Maybe that is what this is...

I'm done with this...

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Has anybody compared the mastering of the CDs from "the Originals" box with their Chrysalis UK counterparts? How would you qualify the difference in sound? Apparently there's no question they are different masterings, right?

Also, does anybody prefer Stand Up and This Was on "the Originals"?

21. tootull

After listening with a critical ear, I would only consider the Original's set for Benefit.
    Stand Up USA original and the MoFi are very close.

... and there is no question about it, the remaster of This Was is the way to go for me - although as far as flat transfers go, the UK disc of This Was is the way to go for you, maybe. :D

:shh: If memory serves me well I have never heard the original UK CD of Stand Up or Benefit. :angel:

22. rjstauber

Have you heard the German Chrysalis? It is quite a bit better than the UK Chrysalis and I also like it better than the remaster.

23. tootull

No

:shh: Not a must album for me - the remaster is the first time I fully enjoyed the sound of the album.

24. >It states in the liner notes to the "20 Years" box that the version of "Teacher" is from a UK b-side released in January, 1970. Immediately as the song starts, you know you are listening to a different mix of the song. It even sounds like it could be a different take, as it sounds MUCH different than the version on the U.S. LP ("Teacher" was not included on the UK LP).
    On the UK version, the electric guitars are much more subdued, among other specific differences which I cannot recall right now. I had never heard this version until just a few years ago, but when I did, I was amazed at the difference between the UK & U.S. mixes. I far prefer the U.S. mix, for what it's worth. It's just much more alive & rocking.<

Not only that, but isn't this (the 20 Years of... one) the version where there is NO flute solo in the middle, grooving section? Just a riffing combo with nothing happening on top?... Or was my system dead on one channel or something... I thought it was the most boring version of Teacher ever...

25. rjstauber

Would you like me to post a clip of the German Chrysalis of "This Was"?

When I compared the remaster to the UK Chrysalis, the remaster had some positive aspects, it sounded more lively (but just a tad too digital for my liking), the UK Chrysalis is a little flat/life-less sounding (but not bad in my opinion).

The German Chrysalis brings back the positive aspects of the remaster with a natural, more analogue sound. Perfect combination for me.