Roland's favorite CD versions of Jethro Tull albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Nov 24, 2007.

1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That is not a threadcrap. That is an interesting question. I'm sure one of the resident Tull experts will enlighten us shortly . . .

2. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

O.k., thanks for the peak levels of the US Chrysalis CD of Heavy Horses. The F2 2xxxx CD's usually have the same mastering as the VK 4xxxx CD's. I also included the peak levels of my German Chrysalis CD.

Does anyone still have the UK Chrysalis of this CD and could he or she post the peak values for that one? It is possible that it is the same mastering as the US Chrysalis.

Attached Files:

3. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Thanks, I guess I am just sensitive to me jutting in. I think the song is Acres Wild. It could have been another song, I don't remember exactly as it was a while ago. Might still be on the Jtull.com forums if you can search old posts.

4. rjstauber

Darcy, I agree, the US Chrysalis of Stand Up is pretty good, better than both the UK and German Chrysalis.

There is just one minor problem with the US Chrysalis of that album. The first 5 tracks (original Side A of the vinyl) sound a little veiled, the Side B of the original vinyl (tracks 6-10) sound better.

The MFSL of Stand Up is a winner. The US Chrysalis sounds pretty much as good as the MFSL for the second half of the album, but the first 5 tracks sound quite a bit better on the MFSL, and it is worth hunting down in my opinion.

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I just compared the two tracks from "Benefit" with the MoFi.

I like the "Teacher" mix from the MoFi more than on the Chrysalis. I don't have the remastered "Benefit" with bonus U.K. mix version of "Teacher" at the moment, is it the same as the one on the MoFi?

"Inside" is balanced better on the MoFi than the Chrysalis and I like it more. A number of songs on the Chrysalis CD need more in the right channel for my taste (fixed by a twist of the balance knob).

6. rjstauber

I don't remember for sure, but I think it is a different mix on the remaster. In my opinion, the remaster of Benefit does not sound very good. It is heavily no-noised and has no life left in it.

7. street legal

street legal Senior Member

These are exactly my thoughts on the MFSL vs. the Chrysalis disc as well.
    I think the MFSL of LITP is a bit over-rated on this forum. For $5 you can pick up a used copy of the old Chrysalis disc & have as good or even better sound quality than the MFSL. Of course, the MFSL has more tracks & beautiful artwork, but I don't think it's even close to worth the $100 or so that it typically goes for.

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

:agree:

The remaster of "Benefit" has the UK mix of "Teacher", I think. The remaster of this title doesn't sound very good at all, stick with the U.S. Chrysalis disc of this one, IMO.

9. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

The peak levels for the UK Chrysalis Heavy Horses CDP 32 1175 2 are the same as the US F2 21175/DIDX 2943.

10. rjstauber

Bjorn, thanks a lot.

So, for the following albums, the US and UK Chrysalis have the same mastering:

Songs From The Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Stormwatch

Bjorn, did you ever hear the German Chrysalis of Heavy Horses, and if so, what is your opinion regarding sound quality, especially compared to the UK Chrysalis?

11. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I like this too, I have no problem understanding this.
    I like the bass on the remaster.

About that Teacher
    Read on this thread: On CD the UK Teacher is exclusive to 20 years of Tull issue.
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.m...1eedc?hl=en&lnk=st&q=tootull#0be8a98c4ee1eedc

12. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

No I have not heard the German Chrysalis. It would be very nice if you find the time to post a sample.

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

If the real U.K single mix of "Teacher" is not the bonus track found on the "Benefit" remaster, which version is it? Is it the same mix as the one one the "Living In The Past" MoFi?

I assume the version of "Teacher" on the U.S. Chrysalis "Benefit" the original U.S. mix.

There is a remix credit on "Living In The Past". Which songs, from albums, EPs, or singles, were remixed for the original LP?

14. tootull

Yes, and you assume correctly. :)

15. tootull

The Essential Tull - 20 years box CD-#3

This is the only CD that the UK Teacher is found on.

16. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks.

Is the mix on "Living In The Past" remixed exclusively for that album, is it an original alternate mix, or does it come from somewhere else?

Which tracks on "Living In The Past" are remixes?

I have a single disc compilation that takes the best from one of the box sets - it has some BBC stuff IIRC- and I'll dig that up and see what is on it.

17. tootull

The remaster has 3:49 timing.
    MoFi 4:08
    The UK version is listed at 4:43 and the sound/mix is very different right off the bat.

"Living In The Past" :help: Remixes on the MoFi? :wtf:

18. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Not just the MoFi. The liner notes on the Chrysalis and MoFi state:

Remixing done at Morgan Studio, London
    Remixing Engineer: Robin Black
    Remixing directed by Ian Anderson

I wonder what was remixed for the original LP release all those years ago. Does the original LP carry these remixing credits as well?

19. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Since the CHRYSALIS CDP 321044 2 UK shares the same EAC peak values as the
    WG 610 016-222, do these sound the same (or similar)? I found a UK CDP online and placed the order hoping it would sound decent.

20. rjstauber

It appears that they share the same mastering. I have never heard he CDP 32 of Aqualung.

I once compared my "MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN" 610 016-222 with a German (Sonopress?) version with the same peak levels, and I could swear they sounded different, but maybe I just got fooled, who knows (but I don't think so).

Anyhow, I am sure the CDP 32 is a nice sounding disc also.

21. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I have the "20 Years Of Jethro Tull" single disc with tracks taken from the 5 disc box set, but it is not the same as the one tootull listed. Mine is a Chrysalis and has 21 tracks - "Teacher" is not included - and catalogue number:

VKX-41655 DIDX 3514 on the art (manufactured by Cinram for MCA Canada)
    VK-41655 DIDX 003514 on the disc (Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp around the inner ring)

I bought it at a used store, so the disc could be from a different set???

I messed up my post in the past thread.
    If the timing on the remaster bonus track is 3:49 and is the same mix as the MoFi, is it just faded out earlier?

The mixes on the MoFi and U.S. Chrysalis are also very different from the start (piano on different sides, guitar on the same side).

22. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Thanks. Looking forward to listening to it :goodie:

23. tootull

Only 3 versions of Teacher
    Teacher #1 is found on CD only on the 20 years box.
    Teacher #2:This is the most common form of Teacher found on MoFi Living In The Past and North American Benefit ...and other comps. (MU)
    Teacher #3 is remixed on the 25th box set Classic Songs Remixed

... another thread :)
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.m...b8e933a98715?hl=en&lnk=st&q=Teacher+tootull+#

(piano on different sides, guitar on the same side) is news to me. :D

... another thread
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1523320&postcount=91

24. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Extra! Extra! Throw on the cans. :)

Here is what I have. The instruments at the beginning, and where the vocal comes in, are:

U.S. Chrysalis:

guitar: left
    bass: center
    piano: left of center (between the bass and guitar)
    vocals: center and right
    second guitar (that comes in at the vocal): right

MoFi:

guitar: left
    bass: center
    piano: right
    vocals: center
    second guitar (that comes in at the vocal): right

Which does everyone else have?

Ooops. vice-versa. Anderson's vocal sounds a hair more to the left on the MoFi. Either way I like the Chrysalis "Benefit" of this one more. I have to keep both sets. :agree:

25. tootull

:laugh: Thanks for the puzzle, Darcy. :confused: