Roger Waters to tour The Wall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GLUDFSSR, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It's mostly about the money, or he'd charge $50-60 bucks for every seat in the house. Maybe he can use this to bankroll a nice solo tour that sells moderately. :D

2. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Pretty much this. :righton:
    The whole tone of this tour ( as per the email "updates") feels kind of cold & corporate to me. I signed up for presale drawing, got passed on, & decided to pass altogether. It just won't be the same with all the hired gunslingers subbing for the rest of the Floyd. I'm sure it will be visually stunning, however.

3. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member Thread Starter

The $250 seats are not all the VIP seats. The VIP seats are in the first 10-15 rows on the floor and the 2 side sections next too the stage. For the shows in LA & Anahiem the $250 seats take up the whole floor and bottom level except the sections directly across from the stage. That's a hell of lot of seats for the $250 price range. I don't doubt they will be available when the general sale takes place. But most of the $125 seats will be sold before the general sale.

4. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

...nor Toronto.... :thumbsdn:

5. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

I scored great seats for the show in Las Vegas. Should be great seeing this (well, not quite the same show) 30 years later with my long-time buddy.

6. Too rich for my blood.

7. serge

serge Forum Resident

I don't agree that he should charge any less than the market can bear with one exception-

if he charges less the scalpers will pick up the difference and MORE.

But if he did something like establish a limit of 2 tickets per person and make them paperless then I think the price could be lower... However, for whatever reason this paperless thing is still being explored.. you don't see it used much

there's no point to charging 50 when the market bears 300 and watching the scalpers buy them all and resell them for 300..

8. The scalpers are going to charge significantly more than $300 which will boost the price beyond what is practical for most folks. If the tix are $300 than the scalpers who might have charged $300 will charge $600, etc.

The artist charging more does not make a difference when it comes to scalpers...

9. serge

serge Forum Resident

Man its tiring always having to argue about everything. you know? Can't we agree once in a while?

But ok here we go if we must:

So what you're saying is that Roger Waters is charging below market value... that people who buy them at say $300 are getting a deal? Got it

I think its silly to charge below market value... I also think that if he were chargin 50 you'd see a lot more scalper action which would lessen the changes of people buying them for face...

In other words higher face value discourages scalper activity.

I have trouble believing that other than the best best tickets people would pay 600$.... People will pay that for the really good tickets but not 95% of them.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

But it DOESN'T. There were "ticket brokers" advertising tickets for this show before tickets even went on sale, and the prices were all at least double the face value, no matter the ticket. The only justice will occur when the scalpers buy up all these tickets based on a perceived demand, and then they can't sell them. This used to happen for Roger Waters' Pros & Cons shows. For this show, however, the demand may actually be there, I don't have a good guage on how most of country feels about it. My friends probably wouldn't know he was on tour if I weren't there to tell them. When I did tell them, they said it was cool, but showed no interest in plunking down the cash.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

12. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

It would help if you weren't wrong all the time. :laugh:

Justifying extravagant ticket prices is repugnant, especially in this current climate. Even Kiss, of all bands, sold plenty of $25 seats on their most recent U.S. tour.

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I think the city presales were for the Stub Hub and Ace Ticket outlets in each city....

I really do think that.

Do people that really want to go to the show actually get good tickets anymore (i mean right when they go on-sale and not through a reseller)?

14. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I find a certain amount of hypocrisy with the "wall" that Roger has allowed to be built between his fans and good seats.

15. :righton::agree:

Very nice. If I can't get reasonably priced seats at Boston I'll pass him and go check out Pink Voyd at Arlington next week ($25 tickets).
    http://pinkvoyd.com/pink_voyd/tickets.html

The Machine is also playing in Newport RI this Summer, I may catch them too.

16. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

For Ft. Lauderdale: $120 tix ($90 + fees/taxes) apiece will get you up in the upper 400 section, left hand side, 8 rows in, halfway down the arena. Ick.

17. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Same. Come on $55, can't afford the high price stuff.

18. serge

serge Forum Resident

Gee thanks man!

I don't have to justify ticket prices. The market does does just fine.

What is repugnant is to argue that an artist should charge below what he can get! Why should he? Do you ask for less money for your job than you can get?

19. Some don't consider the supply/demand market to be the end all in fairness or morality. Free festivals participants (like Hawkwind) and bands like Pearl Jam have gone beyond the "what the market can bare" mentality. The vast majority will charge what they think the market can handle, and no need for you to justify it.

In this case Mr. Waters may have priced himself out of some sales (we will see if they sell-out). In Boston, crappy nose bleed section seats cost $178.00/pair (including fees). That is a no sale for me. I may go to the show and look for desperate scalpers, but otherwise I'm passing. :)

20. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

You’re quite welcome. You sound like you're either in a position where you don’t have to worry about finances (if that’s the case, good for you) or you’re one of those people who will readily accept the status quo.

Green Day, one of the biggest acts in the world, manages to keep prices fairly reasonable. At an upcoming date in NJ, the highest ticket price is $85. The lowest? $20. That’s more than fair. Of course, none of these bands are running a charity, I get that. But just because you can charge hundreds of dollars, doesn’t mean you should. I certainly don’t begrudge acts charging certain seats for a large amount, but when it gets to the point where that’s the norm, as it is now, it’s just obscene.

Of course I don’t ask for less money. Then again, people aren’t paying me to see me perform, so one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Keep going with the flow, my friend. You do it well.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'll wait for the DVD - $15 or so and I can watch anytime I want, in the comfort of my own home; even pause it to make a cup of tea. And no idiots bellowing inane requests or whistling in my vicinity...

22. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Hey man, but that's what the market dictates! :laugh:

In all seriousness, your post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. All that money for nose bleed seats?! Isn't this the same guy who wrote Money?

23. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

Yeah ditto for me. I'd love to see this show but the prices are just out of hand for tickets. I'd rather wait for the DVD and then I can watch it from the comfort of my own home. I get more and more disgusted with all these high ticket prices.:realmad:

Bruce

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

If someone else is happy to pay that much whats the problem??

(note that I am not before you again personalize your response)

25. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

For me, it's a losing value proposition. I'm curious about seeing the show, but not extraordinarily gung-ho about it. $50 for a nosebleed ticket would probably be agreeable. But over twice that? Why I'd sooner eat at Arby's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.