Roger Waters to tour The Wall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GLUDFSSR, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm afraid to wonder what the "Premium" ticket prices that I signed up for will turn out to be.

Cheers, Michael

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Looks like he is hitting every state except for here in Oklahoma. Can't say I really blame him for not wanting to come here. Looks like TX or Kansas City for me.

3. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Oooohhhhhhhhh... he's coming here October 27th. I'll be there front and center... with something over my head to protect me from falling bricks.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Only 8 months away until it gets up here.

Just curious, would Gilmour and co make any money directly from this tour aside from some songwriter performance royalities? I know for the "Trio Floyd" shows had to lease out use fo the pig and gave Roger a cut of the gate/merch(?).

5. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I'm pretty sure Waters owns The Wall. When he "left the band", he said he wanted The Wall. I'm sure he gets a chunk of other things, but I know he asked for The Wall. I'm sure Gilmour & Co. get some songwriter performance royalities as you say, but it's probably not too much since Waters wrote about 95% of the album alone.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I want more details!!

7. Stateless

Stateless New Member

It would be cool if Gilmour showed up on a couple of dates if just to play his solo on "Comfortably Numb". He and Waters are on speaking terms, so I don't think it is impossible for Dave to show up for a UK date. It's not like he would even have to rehearse. After Live 8, I think anything is possible. It's probably unlikely, but possible. It wouldn't surprise me if he at least invites Dave to a show if he plays the UK.

8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member Thread Starter

No chance in Hell!!!

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Why Am I Doing The Wall Again Now?

I recently came across this quote of mine from 22 years ago:

” What it comes down to for me is this: Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?”

I believe this is still a supremely relevant question and the jury is out. There is a lot of commercial clutter on the net, and a lot of propaganda, but I have a sense that just beneath the surface understanding is gaining ground. We just have to keep blogging, keep twittering, keep communicating, keep sharing ideas.

30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old.

It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with it’s concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever! All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.

This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years.

In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more ‘humane’ ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another.

I disagree.

In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.

I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, ” You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

- Roger Waters, 2010

10. SoundAdvice

Is the show ONLY the WALL? Almost an hour shorter than the last tour Roger played a couple years ago.

11. zoldar

zoldar Well-Known Member

I saw waters solo do a gig in the Netherlands in 2004 (I think). It was on a festival, and it was so nice outside in the summer sun. When he was halfway through his set (waters and pf stuff) he pointed to the dark sky behind us:

"After the break we are going to perform THAT for you!"

We all looked back and saw a perfect full moon in the night sky.
    Goosebumps...

The rest of the show was bloody brilliant. Quadrophonics. Good SQ. Waters cynisism.

I have seen Pink Floyd twice (division bell tour) and this was as good as.

Gilmours on an island tour was good also but not that involving (besides echoes, that blew me away)

12. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Why was my post deleted? So, THAT'S how things are run around here - controversy must be silenced, eh?

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Welcome, Zoldar.

14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The first rule about deleted posts is, you don't talk about deleted posts.

The second rule about deleted posts is...

:shh:

15. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

[​IMG]

LOL

Attached Files:

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I wouldn't miss this for the world. Not sure if I'll go to the MSG show or the one in my backyard at Nassau (plus free parking and dinner at Borelli's).

17. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

Both Vancouver and Tacoma are close enough. I could do Vancouver and the contact high from that place would carry over to the next night in Tacoma. When we saw Division Bell in Vancouver the lasers were having a hard time making it to the back wall the Pot smoke was so thick

We Loved it LOL

18. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

LOL

[​IMG]

19. I don't go out to many shows anymore (especially arena gigs) but I don't see myself missing this one!

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

So, assuming the music is set in stone (though I'd like the addition of When the Tigers Broke Free), what would you like to see from this stage show? Mostly the same as the original with new technology? New animations and screen films? Lasers? The new small flying pig Rog has had on tour, or the big ol' black pig from the 80-81 shows? Same touring band as the last show? Etc. Etc. :)

21. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

Holy poop on a stick! I can't believe it's actually coming here! The same arena I saw the In The Flesh tour 10 years ago.

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

23. SoundAdvice

DVD/Bluray of the 80/81 tour?

24. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

One thing I don't want to see is Waters taking his socio-political message of the Wall (as metaphor for contemporary ills) too far, and littering the show with clips of George Bush and the Middle East. I'd like to see a show that's very similar in spirit to the one Pink Floyd put on thirty years ago. Regardless, I will be there.

25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

My bad

I guess we'll see the predictable Roger Waters - The Wall Live 2010 DVD ... and we'll be still waiting for the Pink Floyd Wall Live 1980-81 DVD :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.