Rod Stewart - Reason to Believe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Nov 24, 2002.

1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Bill also stated that the reverb was added to the Dennis Drake remastered Allman Bros. Polydor cds.

What gives? I think that these CDs sound warm and don't have a big sound.

Joe Lee

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I feel the same. Something's mixed up. The Drake Allman Bros CDs sound just like the original ATCO/Capricorn Lps. I'd contend that "Beginnings" that Drake engineered still sounds absolutely wonderful.

Something's amiss.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A friend of mine has mentioned that a few times (James Brown), although I haven't heard the CD in question.

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Re: Thoroughly confused

I've decided it's the one that sounds most pleasing and lifelike to my ears. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

:cool:

5. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Every Picture...

Okay, I don't know when I bought this, but I presume
    it's the late 80s remaster; Drake is credited with the
    job. To me, it matches the Lp pretty well.

Attached Files:

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

CD of JB had some sonic problems, but that was a case where not all the best tapes were pulled. CD of JB II was a different story, mostly stereo, and has "I Can't Stand Myself" at the released tape speed: in other words, the stereo Lp mix, and a fair match for the mono 45. Beyond the trio of fine 45's ON CD comps and THE VOCAL GROUP COLLECTION[50s Mercury doo-wop], he also did the Sam The Sham BEST OF with the best of what was available; also the redo of THE BEST OF THE COWSILLS, the early Allmans' CD masters.. I'm baffled a bit by some of this talk. The original Drake EAT A PEACH sounds fine to me, and until it was brought up here, I hadn't noticed anything amiss with the original EVERY PICTURE CD. That's an album I've had since August 1971, and if anything were significantly different, I'd like to think I'd have caught it right away(have to pull the old vinyl and give it a listen this evening). What I do know is that Drake has done fine work for Time-Life, and the best he did for PolyGram, at that time, was as good as anybody was doing.
    Now if somebody had said Harry Weinger rather than Drake, I would have understood...lest anyone forget the production incompetence he brought to the Platters MAGIC TOUCH collection. And some JB's of his own, come to think of it...STAR TIME could have a LOT better than it was, and it's not the only one...IMO, Levenson and Weinger have a lot more to answer for than Dennis Drake ever will....

ED:cool:

7. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Back cover...

Is this the "plain back" refered to earlier?

Attached Files:

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Friends,

Since I have been told that everything I post on this thread seems to be picked up by our ex-troll Juan and reposted out of context elsewhere, let me recapitulate:

I do not have, and have never heard the regular edition Mercury versions of Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story". I only have heard the master tape and the MoFi CD. They match.

I have the late 1980's Mercury remastering of "Never A Dull Moment" and it matches the master tape (which I used to make the DCC versions) pretty much. No added echo or anything.

I have the 2 CD set that Bill Levenson did about 10 years ago. Sounds pretty good, but have not compared it to the above.
    :)

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Every Picture...

The 1984 CD has 10 tracks and says: Made In West Germany.

10. Michael

Re: Back cover...

That's the late 80's Drake remaster.

11. Michael

Someone should send Bill a private email and refresh his memory as to the history of the TEN TRACK "EPTAS" From 1984...that should clear this up???

12. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Michael,

I also have the 10-track version of EPTAS, made in West Germany from 1984, and agree that it sounds wonderful. The original West German CD of "Gasoline Alley" that I have, also sounds excellent.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

13. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Gotta sort this stuff out! The only way to do that, it seems, is to own and compare these CDs:

1. The 1984 "Gilbert Kong" CD of EPTAS. (The mastering credit here is to identify the edition, not the mastering engineer, since Kong didn't master the CD.)

2. The 1980's Dennis Drake masterings of the Mercury Rod Stewart albums.

3. The Rod Stewart "Mercury Anthology" CD two-fer. (Who mastered this?)

4. The Suha Gur remasterings of the Mercury Rod Stewart albums.

Bonus round to those with original vinyl pressings who can go the extra mile in A/B delight.:sigh:

What have I left out?

FWIW, I own the "Kong" 1984 CD of EPTAS, and I remember the "big drums" on "I Know I'm Losing You" vividly. I'll give the CD another listen tonight.

Also, I listened to my Dennis-Drake-mastered NADM this morning, and it sounded wonderful to me. If reverb was added, I couldn't hear it, except perhaps at one quiet point on Rod's vocal. (Might have been a touch of plate reverb; I'll listen again.) In general, the album sounded like a superbly recorded live-in-the-studio production. Beautiful tonality. The drums in particular were breathtakingly present, as was the bass. Heck, as was Rod's vocal. "Mamma You Been On My Mind" was gorgeous.

I also have the Drake-mastered "Gasoline Alley." I'll give that a spin too.

I don't have the Mercury Anthology, but I do have a 1993 "Chronicles" sampler (came in a paper sleeve; I don't remember where I got it) that has a track from the Allman Bros. "Fillmore Concerts." An alternate take of "Hot 'Lanta." It sounds cold, bright, distant, a bit clangy--very much like digital reverb has been added.

In closing: EPTAS is a great album and it gets a lot of attention, but I think "Never A Dull Moment" is right up there with it. This morning was full of goosebumps, smiles, and the occasional tear or two....

kevinsinnott likes this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Mercury Anthology was mastered by Joseph M. Palmaccio.

15. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Have you ever thought of remastering EPTAS on SACD Steve?

16. Gardo

Now there's a name I've not seen before. Thanks for the info, Luke. What else has Mr. P. remastered?

17. Gardo

Oh be still my heart! If Steve did that, and then remastered Tommy and Big Star's first two albums for SACD, then we'd have world peace (and I'd be an extremely happy camper).

18. Michael

Yea, It's horrible! Compare any of the tracks to ther original 1984 or late 80's...CD's. It'll blow your mind! Whew...:)

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

I hate to confuse things even worse, but how do these remasterings compare to the Storyteller box set?

20. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'll give you one of the worst on the planet with Palmaccio's name attached: THE PLATTERS: THE MAGIC TOUCH ANTHOLOGY[Mercury 314 510 314-]with pretty good sound when it's mono, but what was originally wide stereo is narrowed to near-mono; I'm not sure I blame the engineer so much as producer Harry Weinger, but no matter: the name is on it and that's what matters. Single CD condensation was, I believe, titled THE VERY BEST OF THE PLATTERS.

ED:cool:

21. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Dare I mention them for the third time:

The Roger Wake mid-90s UK remasters!

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I just got off the rocker from EPTAS MFSL and the Drake CD. They're both very close. The MFSL is really smooth and the drums sound really wonderful. The Drake CD sounds a tinge EQd more to a shiny sound. They're both very good.

The MFSL is definately the best of the two. I don't have the pooopy new remaster.

I'd also say Rod was very drunk during "(I Know) I'm Losing You". :) Or very hung over.

23. Michael

Sckott,
    You still need to hear the 10 track 1984 EPTAS Cd to make a final comparison. It's killer!:)

kevinsinnott likes this.
  24. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

What have I left out?

In closing: EPTAS is a great album and it gets a lot of attention, but I think "Never A Dull Moment" is right up there with it. This morning was full of goosebumps, smiles, and the occasional tear or two.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Ofcourse, we all know and love EPTAS (the acknowledged classic) but I think "Never a Dull Moment" is a great LP in it's own right! and the one I play more often cause I've heard the tunes less (over the years, etc.)

Something about that line in "TRUE BLUE" always get's me -
    "Sittin' in the moonlight glow, excuse me if my feelings show...
    Watchin' all the trucks roll by, thinking of an alibi"

Right up there with the couplet in "Italian Girls" - "although I must of looked a creep in my army surplus Jeep"

I think his writing was better and eye for detail even sharper on NADM!!!
    His trademark blending of acoustic and electric instruments, the accordians , mandolins and organ and on some numbers the band (FACES) just kicking ass - just phenomenal, (When Rod yells "Guitar" and then Woodys slide solo in "Twistin" - a pure Rock and Roll moment if there ever was one)!!! - To me it just doesn't get any better - Just great music!!!

25. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I agree with the comments about the MFSL sounding close to the original UK black label Mercury LP - one of the best sounding records I own!