Rod Stewart - Reason to Believe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Re: MFSL EPTAS

The sound of the drums on the MFSL CD is comparable to the sound on LP. The MFSL CD sounds "right".

2. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Re: Re: MFSL EPTAS

So the MFSL has the big drums (If it is like the Lp?) - I'll admit this is getting crazy!

To further the confusion, the other day I emailed our "friend" Tom Port ( of CD Blowout or whatever) questioning an Ebay auction he had where stated below (in same auction for I think 5 DCC Golds) that he'd soon have copies of a DCC CD version of "Never a Dull Moment"!!!???

Steve...I know you did an LP of this, but CD?

Not sure what he's referring to?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I did a Gold CD version of Rod's "Never A Dull Moment", with the 45 "B" side "What Makes Milwaukee Famous" as a bonus track but it never was released. He probably has one of the few surviving promo copies that were pressed.

4. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Thanks Steve
    Sounds about right, because he emailed me back saying he could not sell it alone but part of like a $1000 package of DCC's (I'm sure mostly promos) (Oh well I tried!!!)

(In all honesty I thought I once saw one of these (with the great extra "Milwaukee" b-side) in a Circuit City here in CT maybe like 7 years ago? - did any escape to the masses?)

5. Steve Hoffman

None escaped, no.

6. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Maybe I'm thinking of the DCC LP version or some import version.
    I believe you said the The Drake version of "Never" is close to the DCC CD?

7. Steve Hoffman

Close in "the same tapes were used". No bonus track on that one though.

You might have been thinking of the original cassette release back in the early 70's that had the extra song on it?

8. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Bingo - I picked one of those up used while in College (No $ for pricey CD's) back in the mid 80's!
    Thanks!

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

Ok, I feel that I opened a Pandora's Box with this one.

First question - if the original EPTAS had 8 tracks, what exactly were the other two on the ten song edition mentioned several times here?

Secondly,

The remaster that I know about came out in the mid- nineties and was using the Prism Noise Shaper and also in the series did not contain "The Rod Stewart Album" but its English original counterpart - "An Old Raincoat Won't Let You Down". Is this the remaster series we are talking about?

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Here's the tracklist of the 10 track EPTAS 1984 CD

1-Every Picture Tells A Story
    2-Seems Like A Long Time
    3-That's All Right
    4-Amazing Grace
    5-Tomorrow Is A Long Time
    6-Link Music-Henry's Time
    7-Maggie May
    8-Mandolin Wind
    9-(I Know) I'm Losing You
    10-Reason To Believe

From what I believe...Link Music-Henry's Time (Intro To Maggie May) and Amazing Grace were not supposed to be listed as separate tracks. On the original LP they were not listed as individual tracks.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I have a 2CD compilation of the Mercury years from 1995 called "Handbags & Gladrags" which uses the same mastering. Roger Wake did it.

I've always liked the sound but since coming here, well.......

Certainly has a great tracklisting plus 5 previously unreleased tracks from that period.

12. Mike

Mike New Member

If you mean on the Ice board, Bill didn't say that Drake is the one who added the reverb. I think the misunderstanding here is people are not realizing there was a version prior to the Dennis Drake cd's. Here is what Bill said:

The first batch of Rod Stewart CDs, the ones done in the late 80s, were discontinued, and eventually remastered, because the remastering featured digital reverb that was not part of the original recordings. This explains why some people think they sound better. Subsequent remastering in the US (late 90s, then again this year) was much more faithful to the original masters; no additional digital reverb added, little or no compression added. Suha Gur used different equipment during the different remastering projects, but utilized the same flat original masters.

So there are 3 versions:

1. The added reverb first pressing with Gilbert Kong credits.

2. The "eventually remastered" by Dennis Drake.

3. The "subsequently remastered" are Suha Gur versions.

13. Paul K

Guys,

I just dug this up from the ICE board. (they are aware that we are talking about this!!) Sounds cool from mister L. Check this out!!

Topic: Rod Stewart's 'Reason To Believe' Anthology (10 of 24), Read 135 times
    Conf: A. NEW RELEASES
    Wrom: WCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPB
    Date: Monday, November 25, 2002 08:33 AM

Our goal on these latest CDs was to try and make them sound as natural as possible. I believe that newly remastered CDs should relate back to the original tone and texture of a vinyl first pressing; but, of course, take advantage of CDs dynamic range, etc.

Too many engineers these days are maximizing level at the cost of dynamic range and accuracy. I'd like more engineers to listen to a vinyl first pressing before they attempt to remaster a project.

Bill

Also, he mentions earlier this tidbit that comes from him:

Topic: Rod Stewart's 'Reason To Believe' Anthology (7 of 24), Read 143 times
    Conf: A. NEW RELEASES
    Wrom: ARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGD
    Date: Monday, November 25, 2002 04:59 AM

Gentlemen,

I am quite sure about the reverb being added to the 80s Rod Stewart remastered CDs. I supervised the PolyGram reissue program from the mid 80s until its purchase by Universal a few years ago.

Regards,

Bill

I think we should believe him.

Any other thoughts?

14. Steve Hoffman

Bill is THE man!

The Elephant Man likes this.
  15. Paul K

I guess I am now really confused with my original findings. Anyone else wanna take the reigns?

16. Mike

Mike New Member

Adding reverb is what makes the drums sound bigger. Like the drums on When The Levee breaks that were recorded in a stairwell with a microphone up at the top, at least I read that somewhere. :D

17. Paul K

Steve,

I am glad you are here to watch this stuff go down.

Too much!! :)

18. Steve Hoffman

:laugh:

I'm totally perplexed.

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Thoroughly confused

Okay, so what have we decided? Which Mercury permutations are the best sounding?

20. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Just to add to the confusion I own an original UK pressing of Never A Dull Moment (It comes in a US manufactured cover because of all the packaging used, with a UK catalog number) and the "big drum" version of the CD that I picked up in a cutout bin. Need to make a comparison.

I always heard that Rod objected to the big drum sound when the Storyteller box set was compiled and Rod auditioned and objected to the digital tapes sent by PolyGram to compile the box set for WB.

21. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Apparently (well, according to the liner notes) the mid-90s Roger Wake UK remasters which I mentioned above were approved by God..........err, I mean Rod.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, Bill specifically said (privately) that Dennis added reverb on many things.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Thoroughly confused

I don't think we've decided anything, yet. It doesn't seem as if anyone actually has all of these CDs to compare, and that everybody is going solely on memory...

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, like on the OLDIES ON CD and other '50s/60s masters Mr. Drake worked on.

ED:cool:

kevinsinnott likes this.
  25. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Many mastering engineers get raked over the coals for doing stuff like that. Yet Mr. Drake is held in high esteem here. TAS also indicated he did some bad things to Richie Havens and James Brown reissues.

:confused: