Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jblock, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

The only thing that caused punk to happen was the record companies and their sponsored media hype. No band could be worse than the Stooges. At least ABBA had hits.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

A bunch of us were talking about this over lunch, and NOBODY could name a Stooges song. Now, shouldn't a band (or artist) that's being inducted into a "hall of fame," have a least one song everyone knows? Somebody did say, that the only reason the Stooges are popular now is that Iggy Pop was part of the band and the media drives that point home.

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:sigh:

4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The inductees are all reasonable. The Stooges, Genesis and Abba are all special performers in their area, whether they are to my personal taste or not. Iggy is one of the great performers in rock history. I agree that it's ironic that Alice Cooper is not in there and the Stooges are, but the Stooges were a significant influence on Alice Cooper the band's rock move -- though the Doors were bigger influences on both bands. let's see -- Stooges in, Kiss not -- excellent.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't really want to address the "nobody knows the Stooges music" point, but I would also have thought that Iggy would have been inducted before or instead of the Stooges -- it seems kind of like inducting Big Brother and the Holding Company instead of Janis Joplin.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Jimmy Cliff should get in if only because he's the star and featured performer in one of the great rock and roll films -- and the one with the single greatest soundtrack of all time.

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Indeed.

Attached Files:

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You are aware that the Stooges made their two most influential records in 1969 and 1970, a good six or seven years before the "sponsored media hype" of punk, aren't you? They barely got any support from their label, Elektra, and were dropped after their second album.

Nevertheless, like the Velvet Underground, the Stooges were hugely influential on the punk movement, despite never having had hits the way a band like ABBA did.

I am much more likely to listen to ABBA record than a Stooges record, but I can understand why the Stooges are in the HOF.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

in the U.S.A. possibly, worldwide, absolutely not.

who would i rather listen to?...fogelberg - without question.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Harder They Come did help bring reggae to the mainstream.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

In my world, the Stooges fall right behind the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Dylan.

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

If that's the case, BREAD should be inducted too.
    They were the primary example of what later was labeled "soft rock", releasing a string of well-crafted, melodic soft rock singles and deeper and heavier rock album tracks.

What made them head and shoulder ahead of other similar groups is their musicianship and classy songwriting.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

dan fogelberg : 18 albums: 3 or four best of's: and a box set

the stooges - 2 albums

sure, it's hip to say the stooges were cool and were pioneers, just like the sex pistols. but "hall of fame" caliber, i can't agree.

over a career, dan fogelberg did a hell of a lot for music, and in my humble opinion, deserves to be recognized for it.

guess my criteria for induction into a "hall of fame" is different than most.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

ABBA, Bread, and the Carpenters are head and shoulders above most groups already in the Hall.

16. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Now that the Stooges are in, time to push for the MC5.:agree:

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I agree. Bread, Moodies, Chicago too. But it's all a Jann Wenner circle jerk, so give up the dream of fairness.

18. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Celine Dion and Michael Bolton too!

19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I am a big ABBA fan & I am very happy for them. I am also a very big music fan & I am happy for the rest of this year's inductees. Lastly, as a very big music fan I am dissapointed that there are so few inducted each year. Everyone mentioned here so far must be inducted!!! They all have proven themselves through the years (One example is how everyone supports & defends them!) by the fact they're so strongly remembered. I also have a problem with awards though. I think "promotion" is sometimes a big part of who gets chosen & why. ABBA for example, Their museum will be opening soon & the "Mamma Mia" movie was rereleased on DVD. Are they conected? I don't know but I don't work in the music industry so it's just my belief & opinion.

20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Abba: :righton:
    Jimmy Cliff: :righton:
    The Hollies: :righton:
    The Stooges: :righton:
    Genesis: :shake: there must be some misunderstanding

21. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

:agree::righton:

Not a lick of sense in these two statements.:shake:

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Iggy and the Stooges getting in is way cool.

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

ABBA = Rock?

No.

And yes, there have been worse selections. Rock n' Roll Committee? I'd like to introduce you to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee. You both have much in commmon.

It's time to call this thing the pop music Hall of Fame. It's not Rock n' Roll.

Jann Wenner and his puppets are a disagrace.

Cleveland! Grab your pitchforks and torches and storm the Hall! Remove the Hendrix, Stones, Who, and Led Zep memorabila now! Do not allow it to be sullied any more!

I'm done.

24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yeah, baby!

25. camrock

camrock Active Member

The Stooges are a no-brainer even though I don't enjoy them. Genesis is a convenient choice as it allows them to induct PG and PC without argument. The Hollies are a little lucky but no more so than a bunch of other acts. Jimmy Cliff is an idiotically tokenistic choice: there are at least ten Jamaican singers who have been more gifted and influential and have much more impressive catalogues, and frankly whoever pushed for Run-DMC and Flash needs to have a serious think about U Roy (I realise this is a long shot, but honestly, if you're not completely obsessed with "rock", consider what he and King Tubby did).

Since it is apparent from who has already been inducted that it is not a "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame as most people would interpret such a thing, ABBA stroll in and should have been there some time ago. On whatever criterion you care to nominate, other than rockness, they whip many acts already in (musicianship, songwriting, sales, influence).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.