Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jblock, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You think Dan Fogelberg was as popular as ABBA?

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Well, that would be an upside.

3. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Not even remotely. Benny and Bjorn were brilliant pop songwriters whose hits have endured, and for good reason. They are harmonically sophisticated, melodically irresitible and cleverly arranged. I know it might not mean much to some on the forum, but they aren't making hit musicals and movies out of Deep Purple songs 30 years after they were recorded. It gives us a clue as to the lasting value and universality of those songs.

4. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Yay for the Hollies! After owning a greatest hits (and a wonderful early US album called "Hear Here") and loving them both I don't know why it took me so long to start going through their catalog but I have just started it and I am really enjoying it. I really love this band. I am not so sure how influential they were though (and for that matter original) but I don't know if those are criteria for Hall of Fame induction. When it comes to pop perfection though, at their best their execution was spot on.
    Of course the Stooges need to be in their and they were hugely influential (and in their uber-derivativeness they were "original" in their own way.
    As for Abba - again a natural choice and they are more than deserving to be in their (and should have been sooner.) So they wore silly costumes - get over it. :)
    Genesis is a good choice too, although someone mentioned the Moody Blues weren't in - I would think they would be a "given" as well.

5. akmonday

akmonday Senior Member

I'd hope Anthony Phillips would at least be there if not performing. There were several original drummers, one of whom died recently.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

* Madonna
    * Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    * Miles Davis
    * Prince
    * Isaac Hayes
    * Talking Heads
    * Michael Jackson
    * Paul Simon
    * Earth, Wind & Fire
    * Billie Holiday
    * Nat "King" Cole
    * Curtis Mayfield
    * Dusty Springfield
    * The Mamas and the Papas
    * The Bee Gees
    * The Jackson Five
    * Bob Marley
    * Ike and Tina Turner
    * Simon and Garfunkel
    * The Four Tops
    * Stevie Wonder
    * The Supremes
    * Aretha Franklin
    * Marvin Gaye

Just a random list of artists I wouldn't consider "Rock" who made it into the hall. So Rock and Roll does not seem to be a technical term in this case, but it looks like Pop and Jazz and Soul etc. are included too. Hence ABBA totally belongs there as one of the biggest and most influential Pop bands ever.

7. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Well stated. Furthermore, there's often plenty of rock 'n' roll in the very best pop music.

8. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I would consider most of the artists on that list to fall under a broad catagory of "Rock n' Roll" - but agree that most of them aren't "rock". Funk, soul and "folk-rock" seem to me to be as much a sub-genre of rock n' roll as "rock" is.

In other words - the "n' roll" part is IMPORTANT. It harkens back to the music developed in the late 40's/early 50's and everything that branched off from their. To me - "rock" implies something that statred in the mid-60's, like "Steppenwolf", maybe I Fell Fine or You Really got Me>

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's part of it. It certainly kept them in the public eye.

Don't discount the importance of Peter Gabriel's solo material. Not only was it extremely popular, but it was, also, highly regarded with critics. The fact that it made David Geffen lots of money helped, too.

I'll buy that when Yes is inducted. I don't think ELP or King Crimson ever will be.

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Talking Heads aren't a rock band? I know they're not exactly Led Zeppelin but....

11. They may be the least commercially successful act among the current inductees, but in terms of importance to the field of rock The Stooges are easily the best and most worthy of this bunch. Heck, they're even more important to rock music than Dan Fogelberg!

Abba are indeed a sketchy selection, but if we go with the rather catholic definition of "rock and roll" that the voters use, they're a fair enough inclusion.

12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Correct. Talking Heads were a rock band, particularly on the first three albums.

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Agreed. But what would you consider them from Remain in Light on? I find it hard to categorize them after that. The last three albums had a lot of Pop on them, I would say.

14. If she played a couple of Stooges tunes, I would definitely back this! "Loose", anyone? :D

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Congrats to ABBA.

16. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Dan Fogelberg more influential than the Stooges?????!!!!

DAN FOGELBERG???????
    :laugh:

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

At least we were warned. :D

18. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Did someone say Dan Fogelberg?

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It's been discussed before and to death, but pop and disco did not cause punk to happen, prog and blues based hard rock, both of which had become bloated, hairy and pretentious by the mid 70s are what inspired punk.

Alice and the Stooges, begin two of the pre punk hard rock bands that didn't fit into those categories, were embraced by the new punks. So why Alice, who was just as influential, and far more commercially viable that Iggy, still hasn't gotten in is baffeling. I guess it's because he went too Hollywood after the band broke up, what with The Muppet Show and Hollywood Squares, etc. Still, a major screw up on the HOF's part, in my opinion.

20. FlatCat

FlatCat The Old Wig

I'm happy for all the inductees and especially pleased to see Genesis inducted. :D

21. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

no, i thought that they said england dan and john ford coley.
    :laugh:

22. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

I would pay good money to hear her perform "Dirt".

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Good for the Hollies. Hope Graham Nash is there, and the mystery man, Eric Haydock.

24. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I hope Allan, Graham, Tony, Bobby and Terry are there!

The others don't do much for me- rather see Chicago and The Moody Blues ahead of any of them.

25. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

All worthy candidates this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.