Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lil.fred, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol.2 will be reissued on CD on August 10, 2004.

2. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Indeed it has been ... I picked up a copy on Sunday. Thumbs way, way up. It seems to be the fruit of the same improved transfers that they did for the recent single disc of Vol. 1. The sound is significantly improved even over the remastered version of the two-CD boxed set. There is no (or very little) noise reduction; wide dynamics; great clarity. For the first time in 20 years, I can actually understand all the words to "Sweet Home Chicago."

It's the best $10 you'll spend this week, guaranteed.

=B.

3. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

Didn't know about the King of the Delta Blues Singers V.2. Do those two seperate cds contain all of the material of the "Complete" set? I think I'll save the booklet and toss the cds from the earlier version of the set.

4. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Between the 2 KOTDBS discs you get at least one version of all 29 songs, but you'll be missing 8 alternate takes from the box. Personally, I'll gladly trade the alternate takes for the improved sound and better sequencing.

5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Yeah, I can't stand listening to all the alternate takes back to back like that. I never listened to that box set because of it. I sold it and bought the King of the Delta Blues Singers LP. Now I listen to it plenty. I love playing Zeppelin right afterwards. Amazing how influential Johnson was and also how others later interpreted his songs.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'll have to get the 2 King of The Delta Blues Singers CDs or used LP sets of these collections.

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

The Gold Collection

I have a 2 CD Box set called 'Robert Johnson - The Gold Collection - 40 Classic Performances' on Proper/Retro R2CD 4014.
    Any opinions?
    JG

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That does contain nearly everything that Complete Recordings has minus 2 tracks so if you like the sound, you are set.

9. GregY

GregY New Member

10. Hail Purdue

Hail Purdue New Member

The original LPs sounded awful. No high end, no bottom end. These LP masters were used for the premaster of the original box set. Then Sony/Columbia squished what little life remained from them.

11. GregY

GregY New Member

Note that Vol. 2 has a big FBI warning on the back. Aren't these recordings in the public domain by now?

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Not in the United States, they aren't.

13. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Are the current " Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers" Vols 1 and 2 on vinyl ok?
    I mean are they from the improved masterings?
    The ones I am referring to are around $15 from Acoustic Sounds and such... and the "blurb" off their site seems to indicate they are the good ones....

"Reading about the power inherent in Robert Johnson's music is one thing, but actually experiencing it is another matter entirely. The official 1998 edition of the original 1961 album was certainly worth the wait, remastered off the best-quality original 78s available, of far superior quality to any of the source materials used on even the 1991 box set. Johnson's guitar takes on a fullness never heard on previous reissues, and except for a nagging hiss in spots on "Terraplane Blues" (the equalization on this disc is extreme to even sport some minute turntable rumble in the low end), this really brings his music alive. If there is such a thing as a greatest-hits package available on Johnson, this landmark album, which jump-started the whole '60s blues revival, would certainly be the one. The majority of Johnson's best-known tunes, the ones that made the legend, are all aboard: Crossroads, Walkin' Blues, Me & The Devil Blues, Come On In My Kitchen, and the apocalyptic visions contained in Hellhound On My Trail are the blues at its finest, the lyrics sheer poetry. And making its first appearance anywhere is a newly discovered-in-1998 alternate take of Traveling Riverside Blues that's appended to the original 16-track lineup. If you are starting your blues collection from the ground up, be sure to make this your very first purchase"

TIA
    Brett

14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Didn't the 1990 release win a Grammy?

15. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

There is something very strange about anti-piracy warnings on the back of Robert Johnson CD's. Maybe it's just me.

Chris

16. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Vol 2 on Vinyl is still the old unremastered version - Vol 1 on vinyl is remastered.
    I looked at Vol 2 on CD yesterday but saw nothing about it being remastered - it may be the old vinyl version just now released on CD.

17. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

So, are the following two sets the same? Same track list, same release date, same price, just different packaging. It strains belief to imagine that two different masterings were used, but I guess you never know. Descriptions are from the Tower Records website:

The Complete Recordings [Slipcase]*
    Robert Johnson (Blues)
    10/08/1996*Legacy Recordings*64916

The Complete Recordings [Box]*
    Robert Johnson (Blues)
    10/08/1996*Legacy Recordings*46222

18. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

The masterings ARE different. The 64916 set is the preferred one...

19. RZangpo2

Good. That's the one I have. (For once, I read about a preferred mastering on this site and DON'T have to run out to replace what I already have... ;) )

20. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

It's time for a great lp transfer of this material. They are, after all, analog recordings.

One of the problems I have with more modern transfers of 78s is that they don't sound nearly as meaty or as weighty as the 78s. There are transfers that do, but you have to go way back in time to hear them, to the l0" lp era in some cases. I think the problem stems from using moving magnet or moving coil cartridges for the transfer from original parts. The GE variablle reluctance cartrige seems much better suited to the task. Moving iron pickups seem to capture some of that magic as well. If I were doing the transfers, I might ask Len Gregory (the Cartridge Man) to make me a set of 78 cartridges.

Jason

21. RZangpo2

Jason, have you heard the late John R. T. Davies's work? If so, what did you think of it?

22. kt66brooklyn

I have lots of John RT Davies material. I even have one of the exceedingly rare l0" Audubon lp sets from the 60's (The pre Louis Henderson set) and lots of the JSP sets.

The 60's transfers are beyond reproach. The Audubon set is stunning for its ability to capture a natural, relaxed feeling from the acoustic-era recordings. Simply one of the great mastering efforts ever undertaken.

From there, its a mixed bag. The JSP era stuff (both lps and CDs) pales in comparison to Early lp transfers of the same material. Where there were no early lp transfers, the JSP material is indispensable. The big improvement in the JSP transfers over others is in the bass. I have yet to hear some of Davies' most recent work, so I can't judge that.

By early transfers, I'm talking about lps like the original green label "Louis Armstrong Story" Columbia Masterworks set or the l0" "X" label RCA issues. These transfers were mostly done before l954. Somehow, things seem to fall apart shortly thereafter. :(

Over in the UK, things were much better. Parlophone, HMV and Phillips transfers truly shine. I have an lp of Lonnie Johnson and Eddie lang material which is only a shade less stunning than my original 78s of the same material. It was in this era that Mr. Davies got his start. Even the lowly Music For Pleasure label put out some great issues. Oddly, the ACE of Hearts issues and the post HMV RCA material (put out by Decca, HMV and RCA broke off their agreement in l957) isn't all that great.

My all time favorite lp transfer is the "X" label l0" issue of Ridin' with Red. All the tunes are previously unissued alternate takes of Henry "Red" Allen's first recordings as a leader. This record gives up nothing compared to the 78s I have. :agree:

Jason

23. RZangpo2

Jason,

I can't compete with your knowledge of original 78s, nor of early LP reissues, since I haven't any of either. :( Re: JSP, their CDs do sound pretty good but are rather early digital transfers. You might try some of JRT's more recent work for the Frog label (I thought the complete Bessie Smith set transferred by JRT was stunning, but of course, I don't have the original 78s to compare) and Jazz Oracle. Better than any other available CDs of the same material (where such exist), IMO. As the song says, "It'll have to do until the real thing comes along". :)

Ron

24. kt66brooklyn

Cool! I'll seek out some of the Frog materal. The early digititis seemed to be the only real drawback of the JSP material. As for you, start spinning the big disks, these things are cheap and plentiful still.

Jason

25. RZangpo2

Will do! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.