RIP Brad Delp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bud Shaver, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Sad news :(

R.I.P. Brad

2. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Terribly sad news.
    Boston and Don't Look Back are such good records. Playing them now reminds me of the school holidays, sitting around with a boombox in the sun.

RIP Brad.
    Thanks for the music.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm kicking myself for missing them as well. Delp and Beetlejuice just performed down the street from where I work in Keene, NH, I think last week.

4. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

Wow, what a bummer! I can remember a time back in the late 70's when everyone I knew had a copy of the first Boston album on 8 track or cassette and it's the one album that was ALWAYS playing in everyones vehicle. I'm glad I had the chance to see them in the early 80's and again a few years ago. He will surely be missed. RIP Brad!

5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I think that's the end of Boston, With Brad Delp dead and Cosmo out of the band.

6. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Just heard the news this morning. :(

A creative soul gone too fast and too soon. Thank you for your contributions Brad Delp!

7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

it's amazing Keith. Boston is the one band that as much as I have played, you would think you would get tired of the music eventually.

I never have and to this day pull out all the albums a lot. I dont like repetitive music but Boston was always an exception.

great songs, great music and a GREAT voice.

I know what your saying.

8. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Listening to the S/T SACD right now. Top volume. Still can't quite drown out the heartache.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

What are the better cds to find of the first two bostons? I had the org's and didnt think much of them. I have the remaster of the first and its ok.

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

the originals are actually quite good, just added bass ? the remasters are not very good.

the SACD of the S/T is excellent and the Vinyl is great.

but I do hear the original Japan versions of the cd's are great. no added bass ? Keith will be able to give better info. he knows all about the Boston pressings.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Listened to Boston while working out at the gym this morning.

Brad had one of those real distinctive voices. I've always loved it.

At least I did once get to see Boston live with Brad here on Long Island a few years ago.

12. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Went into Newbury Comics Cambridge Alewife this morning; they were playing Boston. Good for them.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My favorite versions of Boston's self-titled album on CD are the original Japanese Denon pressing for the U.S. market with catalog number EK 34188 and the original Japanese issue with catalog number 32 8P-192. They sound quite similar, with the 32 8P disc being a bit louder. I also very much like the SACD. Some don't, but I think it's very good.

For Don't Look Back, look for the following CDs:

* Original Japanese issue with catalog number 35 8P-7
    * Original Japanese CBS/Sony pressing for the U.S. market with catalog number EK 35050 and with "35 8P-7" in the matrix code
    * Second Japanese issue with catalog number 32 8P-193
    * Original Japanese pressing for the European market with a CDEPC catalog number and with "32 8P-193" in the matrix code

All of these discs sound very good, but I have not compared "35 8P-7" and "32 8P-193" matrix discs. I just listened to the Japanese 32 8P-193 issue this morning, and it sounded quite good. Maybe a bit bright, but not at all offending. Brad Delp's vocals on "A Man I'll Never Be" sounded wonderful.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not to get off track, but I listened to Don't Look Back this morning and couldn't help but think what a great album it is. It is viewed by some as a disappointing follow-up to the debut album, which is the best-selling debut album of all time, but Don't Look Back is excellent in its own right. I imagine how it might be viewed had it been their debut. I think Boston would have been a huge hit had they debuted with Don't Look Back. The sound still would have taken the rock world by storm, and the melodies and hooks are all there. It's a great effort.

15. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Very sad, indeed. RIP. He had a great, great voice! We wore that S/T LP out!! No doubt, one of the best debut rock albums of all-time! And; the 2nd one was wonderful, as well.

16. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I agree 110% Keith. I was just listening to the "Don't Look Back" album myself.
    I could never understand how people thought this was a significant drop-off in quality from the debut. A tiny bit? Maybe, but certainly not significantly so.

I was just listening to "A Man I'll Never Be", & I think that just MAY be Brad Delp's finest moment ever committed to tape.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yep,i like the first 2 = as good as the other but have nothing for the third on.

18. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Back in about 1978? I was working for Peaches Records in Seattle and we had Boston for an instore at the grand opening of the new Tacoma store. I was assigned to work with them and what a wonderful experiance. They arrived around 11:00 am to about 2000 fans. The Don't look back LP had been out for a while and there popularity was perhaps at it's peek. Anyway, at about 2pm they guys had to leave, as the limo was to take them to the soundcheck for there show that night back in Seattle, but delp kept signning autographs as there were still 200 or so people left. Barry says to me that he will not leave until everyone gets there autograph and would I mind driving him back to the Hotel. Sure! But the point is, he did not want to leave until he took care of his fans. I don't remember a lot about the 45 minute care ride back to his hotel, other than after about 10 minutes of driving i felt like I was just talking to another guy. We talked about baseball, hockey and some music. He wanted to know If I was interested in coming to the show, and If I had tickets. I did not, and he put me on the pass list. Great show, and after the show at the post concert party he thanked me for the ride again, and said thanks for coming to the show. What a real nice guy. I feel like I lost a friend, yet I never had any contact with him after that night.

Michael Bean likes this.
  19. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Aw man, this is just such a downer :shake:

My only consolation at the moment is that I did get to see Boston live back in their prime - must of been some time between '79 and '81, I believe. My memory's a little fuzzy...

Rest in peace, Brad. And thanks for the music.

20. EddieVanHalen

I did listen to Don't Look Back and Return To Zero's Lost too this morning at the gym.
    Shocking.

21. EddieVanHalen

Nice guys die younger. Thank you for sharing the story.

22. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Forum Resident

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone indeed. RIP Brad.

I remember when the first album came out like it was yesterday. Amazingly different stuff, with the layered guitars but above all, the soaring vocals.

:thumbsdn:

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Well, maybe now he'll have "Peace Of Mind"....RIP Brad. No more Boston music, I guess now.

Evan

24. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

It's been difficult to comment so I thought I'd share a fond memory I have of the first time I heard Boston.

Late 1976, I'm riding in the car with my mom and I turn on the radio and flip the dial over to KFRC. As the previous record ends the DJ plays the station id and the next record comes in, first softly then increasing in volume. At first I thought maybe the DJ forgot to turn the next song up. But as the guitars come in and I hear that voice, I'm totally transfixed, and turn it up. By the time the singer reaches the chorus, I've got goosebumps. As the song nears the end I say to myself, wow how can that guy hit those notes? Finally the record ends and the DJ says "that's "More Than A Feeling" the latest one from Boston". Later that afternoon I got my mom to buy me the 45, and I proceeded to play the hell out it.:) I'll never forget hearing Brad Delp's soaring voice jumping out of the speaker that first time. Definitely one of rock's greatest voices. He will be missed.:cry:

Here's that 45:

Attached Files:

25. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

I love Don't Look Back as well. What I never could understand is why Tom Scholz apparently disliked side 2 saying that only side 1 was "finished" because I've always loved side 2 much much more than side 1. "Feelin' Satisfied", "Party", and "Don't Be Afraid" are three of the most exhilerating tracks in all of 70s pop/rock.
    Of course, the title track of Don't Look Back that opens the album is one of the most powerful and upifting tracks, too. I like "Man I'll Never Be" but I think it's a little too long than it should be.

Hell, for the record, I love "Third Stage" and even "Walk On" even though Brad didn't sing on that one.
    I never heard the 'new' tracks on Greatest Hits and I've never heard "Corporate America" though.

My only criticism of Third Stage and Walk On is that with those Rockman amps the guitar tone on those two albums sounded like Carlos Cavazo of Quiet Riot playing Boston music...and I always thought he had the crappiest guitar tone of 80s rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.