RIP Andrew Gold*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it also appears on the "common knowledge" CD by wax

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Haven't listened to his songs for ages, but I did last night and it was as fresh as ever. I'm not making clains for his as a great songwriter, but there's a lot of stuff i really enjoyed.

3. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I am in shock. I first saw AG's name mentioned on Linda Ronstadt albums in the 70s. I didn't know his excellent solo albums. About ten years ago and looking for new music, I started researching Linda Ronstadt's band members and bought AG's Rhino compilation, great music. The price of his solo albums on CD has skyrocketed. Last year I picked up the Bryndle album, very pleasant. I hope his family gets to hear all the accolades.
    Trevor.

4. Well you should as should we all--at his best Andrew was a GREAT songwriter able to compress an effective lyric, story into a 3 minute bit of musical wonder.

There is so much crap out there that when some one that is as talented as Gold was passes away it's a tragic loss beyond the personal.

Look, the guy's career allowed him to cross paths/work with people from the UNNAMED famous BAND. That doesn't make this a thread about this UNNAMED FAMOUS MOPTOP YEAH YEAH YEAH band. As pencil chewer mentions it was a sign at the time that one (for many including Gold)had "arrived".

We're not debating the merit of songs by the unnamed band, we're not discussing their songs, we're not discussing how his songs were informed by them.

If you don't like the post (or mine) just ignore it. It's a simple thing to do.

I thought it was a pity that he couldn't/wouldn't join 10cc as he gave the Gouldman and Stewart a much needed shot in the arm challenging their working method which had resulted in some so-so albums.

His work with them on "10 Out of Ten" was exceptional and they could have used a third songwriter/singer. As good as the players were that Stewart and Gouldman recruited to replace Godley & Creme they didn't have the songwriting/singing talent and Gold did to bring it all together.

Without Gold Linda Ronstandt's career also would have been quite different as well.

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

For some of us, his own work was enough of a sign he had "arrived."

Done. Bye.

6. You've missed the point of my previous comment entirely. I didn't state that I THOUGHT it meant he had arrived--for many of Gold's generation that was the case but whatever.:rolleyes:

It would be nice if with his passing if someone would take the initiative to reissue some of his out-of-print material.

When Warren Zevon was ill (but, of course, we had warning) it prompted a reissue of stuff that had either gone out-of-print or had never appeared on CD.

7. I'm kind of surprised no one has done an album-by-album thread for Andrew.

8. cdice

cdice New Member

Andrew Gold's death completely passed me by. I went to see a Byrds tribute band last night (The Byrds Collective), and during their 2nd set, they mentioned Andrew Gold's death, stating that Gold was the first person to have a Byrds Tribute band, and then they dedicated "I Wasn't Born to Follow" to him. They also said he died, "...after a long illness" whatever that is, although it's been mentioned here that he suffered a heart attack.

9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yet they left his tunes off of "ten out of 10" on the european release of the CD! i wonder why?

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I still can't believe that Andrew is gone and that he'll never give me that "All That & Heaven TWO" album, that he said he'd was working on. Easily one of my favorite singer/songwriters, EVER!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm glad that Andrew Gold was lucky enough to write a hit song that got used for a TV show. I bet he made a fortune on "Thank You for Being a Friend" -- a song like that can net a songwriter millions, assuming he or she owns the publishing.

13. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

I think that Gold was brought in at the request of the U.S. label (Warner Bros.) after they rejected the original version of the album. A good idea which definitely makes one wonder what might have been had he been willing to actually join the band.

14. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Does anyone else have the very fine album Andrew released in the late 1990s, ...Since 1951. I was lucky enough to have my copy given to me by Andrew himself, and the other day while re-listening to it and reflecting on the experience of talking to this incredibly nice and cool guy, I was struck to see I have all but three songs down on my WMP as co-written with Graham Gouldman. I have a feeling this can't be correct, but I am reluctant to dig into my crates of CDs to sort this out.

Here are the songs listed as co-written:

"Can Anyone See You"
    "The King Of Showbiz"
    "First Time In Love"
    "Ready To Go Home"
    "That Belongs To You"
    "Teardrops"
    "The Secret"
    "Baby's Got A Gun"
    "Whatcha Think About That"
    "Safe And Sound"

These can't all be carryovers from Wax or whatever, right?

The songs listed as Andrew's alone:

"Can Anyone See You"
    "Cyberspace"
    [My two favorites, incidentally, along with "King Of Showbiz". "Cyberspace" is very deep and spooky stuff.]

There's also a cover of "Can't Get Used To Losing You" by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, which Andrew sings wonderfully in a duet with a more-superb-than-usual Linda Ronstadt. I think that and "First Time In Love" are his best vocal performances here.

I wish this album was better known. Alas, it's the only non-comp of his I own. Anyway, any light that can be shed on the authorship question with Gouldman would be much appreciated.

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I also had no idea of his involvement with Linda Ronstadt until I listened to her greatest hits last night for the first time in forever. I checked the liner notes and it listed who was playing. He played drums, guitar and had some background vocals on a number of her tracks.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

To answer member "Slokes" question in post #214...

I have the Japanese only released CD called, "...Since 1951..." and YES, all songs were co-wrote by Graham, with exception to the 3 songs that you mentioned above.

Andrew still worked with Graham Gouldman, well past his association with 10cc and WAX. In fact, Andrew co-produced most of Graham's excellent CD from 2000, called, "And Another Thing...", which featured Graham's own takes on the songs, "Can Anybody See You?" and "Ready To Go Home". There are also a few other tracks that they co-wrote together on that CD. Get that CD, if you're a fan of Andrew and Graham, if don't have it?

17. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Thanks so much, Chris. I am a Graham fan and will be on the lookout for it!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always thought Gold's "Never Let Her Slip Away" was a nice song that deserved more success (only #67 in 1978).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.