RIP Andrew Gold*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

It's really sad news, he was one of my favourite songwriters. He always came across as a very nice chap and with a lot of humour which shows even in the liner notes he wrote in his 'best of'.
    The first time I was actually aware of him was watching Wax's 'Bridge to your heart' on Top of the Pops back in the late 80s, one of my very favourite 80s pop songs. Of course 'The Golden Girls' was on TV all the time too and I always enjoyed the song on there....
    :shake:

2. We lost another one... :shake:

3. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member Thread Starter

I would like to congratulate our friends in the UK for having the good sense to give Andrew a Top 5 hit with "Never Let Her Slip Away" there. What a perfect pop masterpiece! Why it was not a hit here is a mystery. (Although personally, I blame short-sighted record execs at the height of "disco"!)

4. "And when we die and float away
    Into the night, the Milky Way
    You'll hear me call, as we ascend
    I'll see you there, then once again
    Thank you for being a friend"

R.I.P. Andrew... :angel:

5. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Sad news indeed. I was a big fan in 70s. I am 62 and I think he was near my age. I've got to start leading a more healthy life style.

6. I think that goes for many of us - certainly for me!

Best Wishes
    David

7. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

Very sad loss. A great multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, producer, singer and all-around nice guy. Always had a smile and even took the time to occasionally exchange emails directly with his fans on music and life. His first solo album (with Heartaches in Heartaches, That's Why I Love You and I'm a Gambler) is my favorite, but you can find wonderful moments in all his work. Too numerous to mention unforgettable guitar parts for Linda Ronstadt, Stephen Bishop and others - his arrangement of Jennifer Warnes hit "I Know a Heartache When I see One" stands out for me, including his background vocals. Beautiful song and sound. Thanks for your music, Andrew. God bless you and your family. Rest in peace.

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Heart Like a Wheel played a pivotal part of my life. Thank you, Andrew.

9. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Good to know Bels!:righton:

10. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

Very sad loss. I love Andrew's music, his sense of humor, his chameleon-like ability to mimic sounds...everything. Just a few months ago I had discovered his podcasts on his website, and have been enjoying the heck out of them!

Such an interesting guy. I'm going to miss him and his music.

11. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Saw AG at a house concert in So. Cal. a couple of years ago. It was a great musical evening and he did a Kick-**** version of "Drive My Car"!!

12. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

+1.

13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

14. Loved his synth work on Albeert Brooks' "A star is bought"

15. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

This is just some sad news, RIP. "Lonely Boy" was a childhood favorite of mine.

16. stever

stever Senior Member

Really sad to hear this. He was involved in so much of the music I grew up with. RIP.

17. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Very sad news. RIP. I really enjoyed his psychedelic faux 60's project, The Fraternal Order of the All. Very well done. I think he wrote, produced and played just about everything on it. Very talented guy. Here's one of the tracks, "Rainbow People". Definitely a tip of the cap to "I Am the Walrus":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw8fR6REilo

18. houston

houston Forum Resident

I saw Andrew play with Linda Ronstadt, in 1982, I didn't know beforehand, that he was part of her band...thought it was really cool, seeing both Andrew and Peter Asher in Linda's band

19. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

There was so much about him that I only discovered today while reading about him. I only knew his solo hits and his time with Linda Ronstadt's band. Researching him I found out about that group he had with the guy from 10cc, Wax and I checked out their two Top 50 US hits on youtube. Very good '80s pop and I like '80s pop. I wasn't even aware he had that project. I am surprised I missed those songs when they were new. Two of the albums from them are available on Amazon.com for $7.99 each and I am going to order them.

20. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

21. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

22. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

folks, if you're not familiar with them, I highly recommend downloading/hearing the "Love Hour" podcasts on Andrew's website. They are great - some funny stories, some insight behind the scenes recording, rare recordings, etc. Last I checked, there were 12 of them, 1 hour each.

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

24. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Yes, this is a masterpiece most people don't know about because it's not credited to "Andrew Gold," but The Fraternal Order of the All, with the title "Greetings From Planet Love," but it's his project through and through, original material inspired by US and UK 60s psychedelia, Beach Boys, Zombies etc.:

www.amazon.com/Greetings-Planet-Lov...6C9V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307403657&sr=1-1

You can hear samples and read the reviews of others. Sadly, he was working on a follow-up; I don't know how far along it was.

RIP, Andrew...:cry:

25. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

Anybody else ever notice that Semisonic's "All About Chemistry" is very close in DNA to "Lonely Boy" (at least to my ears)....

Andrew has posted on his site that some of the Eagles sand backing vocals on "Never Let Her Slip Away" and wound up nicking the open for "Heartache Tonight" a few months later. Listening to it, it's there, yeah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.