RIP Andrew Gold*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Andrew has sung on records or played live with three of the four Beatles, Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Ringo Starr and has toured with the Eagles and Jackson Browne.

(from: Undercover obit)

He has?

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I want to add this, as I just checked my e-mail. I received the following from BRYNDLE, Andrew's former band with the late Kenny Edwards, Wendy Waldman and Karla Bonoff.

This is the official newletter for Bryndle. The group has been inactive in recent years and so have the updates.

As in the last Bryndle update, I have some sad news to pass along. Our dear friend Andrew Gold passed away this past Friday evening. The news first broke on Facebook when his daughter posted the story.

Wendy is out of the country but I exchanged email with her and talked with Karla on Saturday. Andrew contributed so much to the Los Angeles sound in the '70s and on. His work on albums by Linda Ronstadt, Karla Bonoff, Wendy Waldman, Jennifer Warnes, Nicolette Larson, Art Garfunkel, Bryndle and so many others will live on.

- Paul Grosso
    Bryndle Webmaster

3. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

I always liked the duet "Gold" he did with Stevie Nicks.....

4. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Is this a bad joke? (because his last name was "Gold?" :sigh:

5. carlane3

carlane3 Forum Resident

Wasn't that John Stewart that did Gold with Stevie nicks??

6. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

That's Waddy Wachtel.

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

8. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

His work with Graham Gouldman on the wax albums in the 80's is absolutely outstanding and sounded the way I would have like 10cc to sound during this time. In fact, all I missed from these was the voice of Eric Stewart.

Andrew Gold also proved to be a very good producer. One of my favorites is the album he produced with Stephen Bishop called "Blue Guitars".

9. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

okay, now i'm in love (again)... i can already tell it'll be like my Leon Russell obsession... thanks for that :righton:

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got the first Wax album plus know Gold's production on the U.S. version of 10cc's TEN OUT OF TEN album. Too bad ... R.I.P. ...

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Listen to nearly anything by Linda Ronstadt, Warren Zevon, or Jackson Browne, and you'll be hearing Waddy.

12. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Oh damn, what a shame.

13. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Has anyone mentioned the original "Mad About You" TV theme? I found a long live version. For years, I never knew if was Andrew Gold singing. It was later replaced by a version sung by Anita Baker.

The original Andrew Gold version is classic. Was this ever a single? I don't remember it getting radio play.

RIP Andrew!

Tim

14. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Don't know if it was a single, but it didn't chart if so... first track on his Rhino Best of, though.

Jeff

15. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

R.I.P Andrew Gold :( He was a really Great musician.

16. Such sad news - I always felt AG was incredibly underrated here in the UK.

My condolences to family and friends.

Best Wishes
    David

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

He was incredibly underrated here in his home country, the US, as well.

18. Even given all of his work with other artists, particularly with what he did for Linda Ronstadt?

Best Wishes
    David

19. BradOlson

20. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

Yes, Carlane3, you are absolutely right that it was John Stewart. No, Fox67, not a joke, a rare mistake.......

21. I only own a couple of his albums but I always had the impression that his work was of a consistently high standard. Sadly, he never received much airplay here in the UK.

Best Wishes
    David

22. BradOlson

The only 2 top 40 hits he had in the US are "Lonely Boy" and "Thank You For Being a Friend."

23. Thanks Brad

Best Wishes
    David

24. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

right now i'm watching a video of Waddy's band covering "Lawyers, Guns & Money"...

this is what i really like about this board... many little delicious discoveries to make, things that have been right under my nose for years that i was never consciously aware of... i get to delve in and explore and enjoy... as i was saying earlier, i'll be doing that with Andrew Gold's past material now that there's so much attention and focus on him due to his death... (unfortunately, but that's how these things work), with the added bonus of having Waddy to discover, as well... he looks like someone i know... that certainly is part of the interest... but as you pointed out, he's someone i've been hearing and enjoying, too... such great fun :)

25. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

If not already said, "Lonely Boy" was one of those "sleeper" hits that never gave the artist the attention he deserved. Oh well...too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.