RIP Andrew Gold*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

+1 :righton:

A talented guy. Rest in peace, Andrew.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

such a wonderful album...it's going for big bucks now on CD!

3. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

It's amazing that his most perfect song 'Never let her slip away' was a virtual flop Stateside??!! Amazing.

Anyway R.I.P Andrew, you will be missed.

T.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Following up on the observation that he was a talented multiinstrumentalist: He came about it honestly: His dad was Ernest Gold (Film/TV composer perhaps best known for his score to Exodus) and his mom is Marni Nixon, singer and actress who dubbed Natalie Wood's voice in the film version of West Side Story; Deborah Kerr in both An Affair to Remember and King & I; Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady; and some stuff for Maryln Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blonds. Of course, today, they'd just use autotune.

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Damn. Sad to see another artist die at such a young age. I didn't really know much about his work outside of the hits, but it was good. Did he have a history of heart trouble? RIP.

6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Uh awful. I always loved "Lonely Boy" and oddly enough never had one of Andrew's albums. RIP.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I am so sad to her this news. Loved his work with Linda and ALL THIS is one my favorite pop albums by anyone. So young. Crap. RIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!

8. 2351tv

2351tv Forum Resident

Sad loss today of my dear pen friend AG, who unfortunately I never got to meet in person. I discovered AG when I heard Lonely Boy in the film Boogie Nights. I struck up contact, and remained so up until a couple of months ago. He always made time for my questions, and requests and I assume it was because it was possibly weird/nice that some young guy from Australia was still discovering the power of his music many years on. He even went out of his way to introduce me to the equally talented Graham Gouldman, who I was lucky to meet when he was on tour here in Melbourne. Although he was incredibly talented, some may say sadly he was known for only a select number of tracks. I have since learned better, and hold his collection with great admiration. I always think of him when I hear Linda Ronstadt's 'You're No Good' as his fabulous guitar work is second to one. I would have loved to eventually met, and who knows, possibly jam with the genius that was AG - who was also a Beatle and Guitar nut - like myself. But alas, I will have to wait to the great big gig in the sky. My glass is raised. Cheers to you AG.

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I didn't know that and seeing the Linda Rondstadt-clip from The Midnight Special I'm ashamed I didn't!
    My personal favourite is Never Let Her Slip Away; a song like a sunny day!
    RIP....

10. muzik_guy

muzik_guy Forum Resident

Well this sucks. Such a terrible loss. I was just listening to the "Spence Manor Suite" album a few weeks ago & thinking how great a songwriter he was. Truly sad news...

11. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

RIP Andrew, Lonely Boy is one of THE great 70s songs. Unfortunately, that and "Thank You" are the only two I know. Gonna have to investigate more of his stuff. Didn't know about the Linda Ronstadt connection!

12. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

Oh wow, this is a total shock. RIP Andrew, and thanks for your music.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

This is so sad, he was really was a talented artist.

R.I.P Andrew

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This is truly sad. I was lucky enough to see him live back when he was in Linda Ronstadt's band. His opening set was fantastic...what a musician! I'm playing his second album now, but I intend to listen to a big chunk of the 17 discs I have.:cheers:

Attached Files:

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

"Thank You For Being A Friend" was a childhood favorite of mine. RIP.

16. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

He was one of the vocalists for the sessions for Don Was's Brian Wilson documentary, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, but for whatever reason, his presence was no where to be found on the film himself.

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Like mother...

18. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

There was a rumor going around last April that he'd been diagnosed with lung cancer and was given a year to live...

19. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Wow. Totally shocked by this. I had 'What's Wrong With This Picture' when it came out and played 'Lonely Boy' over and over. 'Never Let Her Slip Away' was another great tune that I first heard on an import greatest hits cd.

He was kind enough to reply to me when I emailed him years ago about working with Graham Gouldman of 10cc, one of my favorite bands. Great sense of humor and kind enough to relay answers from Graham to me.

R.I.P., good sir.

20. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Rest In Peace, Andrew. Just too damned young to go. Thanks for all that you gave to us over the years. Got a Bryndle announcement this morning.

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I had a bad feeling that this sad news would come sooner, rather than later. To say that I was one of his biggest fans, might be an understatement...

(Shown is just a small portion of my Andrew Gold collection, including a white label promo, interview disc and song book, of my favorite album of his, "All This And Heaven Too")

RIP, Andrew and thanks for all of the great music in my life

Chris C

Attached Files:

22. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Very sad, he left us far too early. I have some of his tracks on my iPod, will listen to them today without doubt. RIP and condolences to his family. :(

23. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I saw the thread title just now, and went "oh, f_ _ _!" Another one of my very favorite but far-under-appreciated artists has left us.

In '75, I bought that first album based on a glowing Rolling Stone review, or it might have been Stereo Review, can't remember. It was one of my favorite albums that year. Like others here, "Lonely Boy" was a favorite of mine in '77, the song was all over the airwaves that year and has never gone away. The opening rhythm always messed with my head because it seems like you've got the rhythm one way and it switches when he starts singing. I loved AG's work with Graham Gouldman and, in particular, "The King of Showbiz" - what a great song, as is "Never Let Her Slip Away", which is really so simple musically but at the same time so emotionally effective. As a couple of others here have posted, I once emailed Andrew and asked him if he'd ever like to work with Paul McCartney. He replied that he would but had never been asked. Oh yeah, his song, "Mr. Plastic Businessman" - if you've never heard it, you should. It sounds like if the Beatles had brought in Bob Dylan to do a guest vocal during the Abbey Road sessions.

R.I.P. Mr. Gold, you'll be missed.

24. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have All This and Heaven Too and What's Wrong With This Picture on vinyl. I will pull them out today.

25. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

who's the guy between him and Linda?

i learn so much on this board all the time, it never fails... i had no idea he was the one who did the "Mad About You" theme (Final Frontier) .....i always loved it, and there was one time when they played more of the song than usual... i wanted to hear more... right now i'm listening to the full track as i type...

it was one of my English friends who introduced me to "Never Let Her Slip Away", and of course i already knew "Lonely Boy"....i suppose now i'll discover more of what a great artist he was just as he's passed on... figures!

RIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.