RIP Andrew Gold*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

RIP.
    It's ironic that I just added "Lonely Boy" to a bunch of playlists today for the first time, when I heard about this. Also did not know about Marni Nixon being his mother.

2. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

RIP Andrew.

My condolences to your family.

3. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

RIP, May his family find strength and peace in these difficult times.

A great talent lost.

Sent from my DROIDX

4. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Very sad. His first three albums were great, then after "Whirlwind" he pretty much disappeared for awhile until Wax. What a talented multi instrumentalist...

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Really sad to hear this news, his first lp is one of my all-time favourites. For me he just put joy into my life listening to his music!

JG

6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Only a couple of weeks ago I was checking my Compilation CDs to see if I had a copy of "Thank You For Being a Friend"

:(

7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

That 's one of my favorite album covers of all time. The first time I bought it was on 8 Track, so of course with it being so small you couldnt see anything was wrong in it. Then I bought the LP and thats when I caught onto what was going on in the whole thing. Plus, his "liner notes" were hilarious!

8. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

My girlfriend got me Lonely Boy then I bought the All This And Heaven Too LP. What a great album. The first time I saw him was with Linda Ronstadt. Surprised no one has mentioned he was her band leader for a time in the 70s. I'll miss him greatly. RIP.

10. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Not to stray off-topic, but have his 2 most popular cds (What's Wrong With This Picture and All This And Heaven Too) ALWAYS been hard to find on Amazon or eBay for a REASONABLE price??
    :(

11. NOTHING ON THE SITE THE DEAD ROCK STARS CLUB THE USUALLY HAVE IT THE DAY IT HAPPENS

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

AG's Asylum catalog was released on CD by Collectors Choice Music in 2005, and I guess when CC deleted them, the prices went up on AM and eBay.

I have a different CD version of What's Wrong with This Picture, with no "bonus" tracks.

13. HOUNDDAWG

HOUNDDAWG New Member

Andrew Gold passing

My band hired Barbie Benton's bass player in 1977. He left L.A. and joined us in Panama City, FL. The first song he wanted us to learn so he could sing it was "LONELY BOY", and he did a great job of it. I never even heard of Andrew Gold before that but I was genuinely impressed with the song and Gold's talent.

And a few days ago I was goofing with the chords to THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND when THE GOLDEN GIRLS came on TV, and it is also a fine piece of music. (The changes were more sophisticated than I thought)

I didn't know until just now that he had such an impressive C.V.

He will be missed.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I figured everyone knew that already.

15. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Sad news, may he play in heaven for all of the Gods of music to hear.

16. butch

butch Senior Member

Funny thing about Andrew Gold some of his best work was with Linda Ronstadt. There were tunes where it was Gold playing nearly all the instruments and singing background vocals with Linda. Gold played on so many of her songs and the one he made the biggest impression on me was her cover of You're No Good. The guitar solo was something else BUT that part at the end was such a clever finish to the piece if there ever was one.

You're No Good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPCdXfkGnc&feature=related

You're No Good Live from the Midnight Special,where Gold nails the solo and augments his guitar work a bit even though there is a slight change in texture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZPPBJC8Ic

17. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

You know Andrew was on fire that night; he's regulated Skunk to the bongos.

18. butch

butch Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed that! Skunk Baxter was a great guitarist in his own right. I just think that Andrew Gold would be more appropriately called a multi-instrumentalist.And he could sing pretty good as well. Gold also knew how to write a decent tune .

19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I read somewhere over the years that Hasten down the Wind and What's Wrong with This Picture? were recorded a day apart, in what was essentially the same recording session, with the same musicians and recording people.

22. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I had no idea that he was the son of the great Marni Nixon. What a talented family! Rest in peace Andrew. May Marni be consoled during this difficult time.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I updated the wikipedia article to include the undercover.fm article as the official source.

24. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Sad to hear. I saw him several times with Linda and solo opening for Dolly Parton. Great musician and class act.

"Thank YOU for being a friend."

25. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was fortunate enough to have seen Andrew on several occasions in the mid 70s. Most notable to me was on Ronstadts "Hasten Down The Wind" Tour--summer of 76 in Myrtle Beach SC as I remember.

He was the opening act for The Eagles during part of the blockbuster 'Hotel California" Lp when it played it my area'--no doubt an Asylum label mate at the time.

Saw him one last time as an opener for ...of all people ...Dolly Parton a few short years later.

I was an AOL member for a time--Andrew was on IM (Instant Message) often and I had a few conversations --seemed very fan friendly and answered a lot of questions I threw his way. Very sorry to see he has passed. On an "Endless Flight" now--RIP:cry:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.