Ringo's left-handed drum fills.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lobo, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camrock

camrock Active Member

George was clearly profoundly impressed, given the astonishing prominence they're given in the mix on some of the early records.

2. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

exactly and it's amazing.
    i'm 'destro' and a long(looong) time ago when i 'inverted' the drumms i could not play...i had impression that my brain was out of sincro and only mistakes could be heard. :laugh:
    well a long time i don't play too, i think that i can't play no more.

cheers!

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

:laugh:

4. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Last time I watched Hard Day's Night, I remember noticing that he threw darts left-handed...

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yes. IIRC, I've got a VHS floating around of Ringo as a guest on the Arsenio Hall show in, I'm guessing, 1987, where he talks about this very thing, how he leads with his "other hand" (compared to most), and so his fills wind up having a different flavor.

Regarding his fills, there are relatively few times where he goes "around the horn." You know that one. Everybody who has been in 8th grade "stage band" has lived and died by it. I suspect that this is at least partially because playing that riff feels natural to a right handed player, since it is being "pulled" like a pencil across the paper. For somebody left handed playing a right-hand-set-up drum kit, though, it's more akin to "pushing" your way across.

Nothing gospel here. I'm just an old retired right handed band director!

Matt

6. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

'Come Together', that phrase he does on the intro and between the verses can't be played [exactly like Ringo did] unless you hit tom-tom #1 with your left hand first.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how I'd transcribe that in words, but I just figured that phrase out the other day because of "Rock Band" audio isolations that are floating around. I isolated each hit, so I could tell if it was tom tom #1, tom tom #2 or floor tom.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any drummers in the 50's/60's that played lefty kits? I think Keith Moon had his hi-hat(closed?) between his toms.

Ringo may have had to play "communal" drum kits at early club shows when there were multiple acts. UK teachers were still young British kids to only write with their right hands at the time Ringo went to school. This happened to my UK born Granny.

8. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

The fills in "She Said She Said" always confounded me, this makes sense now.

9. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Ahhh, I recently noticed him doing that in a Beatles video - maybe something on one of the remasters mini-docs.

10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Left handed or right handed, Ringo is the most(or one of the most) solid drummers I've ever seen or heard. And I say that after listening to countless hours of takes and sessions along with seeing him live. Just goes to show you don't have to be "fancy" to be good.

11. He also plays slightly behind the beat.

12. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Watch him play 'All My Loving' on the '64 Ed Sullivan show.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It doesn't take much to set up a kit for a left hander. Just move the drums and cymbals around. Even on a "jazz" kit (with only one tom), I would think that you could swivel the tom around or turn the whole thing around.

I can't think of too many people who play truly "left handed" where the left foot is on the bass drum.

There are a quite a few drummers who play a normal kit, but play semi "left handed" (left hand on the hi-hat, right hand on the snare). Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, for example. In most cases, I think it's just the way they first started playing . But, if you are used to playing normally, it is weird.

14. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Same here. I was once in a band that covered it, and I always ended up handcuffing myself. :laugh:

15. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Off hand, the only one I've seen in person is Ian Paiste of Deep Purple, and on video....Mike Gibbins of Badfinger

16. jeffreyerffejeffrey

jeffreyerffejeffrey New Member

I'm left handed but play with a tight handed kit,and some of my personal favorite patterns are RLL,LRR,LLR,RRL, and double paradiddles for any triplets or sextuplets. For just moving down the drums in 8th or 16th notes,I usually end up either crossing my hands at some point,or I stick to a lot of snare and just use the toms for color.if i need to reposition my hands,i typically just hit the hihat as someone said previously. I believe this a very good replica of ringo's style. Im currently working on my right hand lead, but being left handed leads to some pretty cool fills that a lot of righties would struggle with for a quick minute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.