Rhino Handmade releasing Jan & Dean "lost album" - Carnival of Sound*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jdmack, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

What was the ten track acetate song order?

I love the release, but was disappointed that Laurel and Hardy didn't have a stereo mix - that song was the most "Brian Wilsonesque" of the album IMO, combining goofy humor and tape sound effects. I guess the multitrack of this song and "Only a Boy" are missing?

And that's Jan singing the "la las" on the Laurel and Hardy demo?

2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Just curious...no big deal...but does anyone know why the track order is different on the mono lp?

3. 1. Fan Tan
    2. Carnival Of Sound
    3. Hawaii
    4. Laurel & Hardy
    5. I Know My Mind
    6. Girl, You’re Blowing My Mind
    7. In The Still Of The Night
    8. Stay
    9. Louisiana Man
    10. Mulholland

4. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Finally got my copy in the mail yesterday and listened to it as I drifted off to sleep. All I can say is ... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! After hearing about this mythical music for so long, it was a revelation hearing the incredible Jan Berry productions and the even more imaginative and heartfelt lyrics.:goodie: A haunting, rewarding and joyous listening experience all at once! I look forward to repeated listenings of this finally released J&D masterpiece.:righton:

The liner notes are also excellent and offer great insight into Jan's mindframe during the creation of COS. You can tell that everyone involved in this project did the best job possible out of love and respect for Jan Berry.:agree:

Highly recommended!!!:goodie:

pablo fanques likes this.
  5. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

One more thing ... while reading the liner notes, it's mentioned that Jan flew off to Hawaii after a frustrating vocal session and tried to "harm" himself. Then Jan's father stepped in and brought him back to L.A. for medical care. Can any J&D experts here elaborate on what this incident was all about?

6. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I've been listening to it all this past week. I can't get enough of it.

Listen to my favorite track on this set Fan Tan -- whoever recorded the lead vocal sounds intimately familiar with the sound of Jan Berry's voice. That vocalist is really channeling JB's signature sound to an uncanny degree. Ditto the lead(s) on Hawaii and Girl, You're Blowing My Mind.

Who is it?

Well, it might not be for everyone, like the "sounds insincere" guy from some pages back who somehow thought there was a Jan & Dean/Peter, Paul & Mary connection in there somewhere. If you're familiar with Jan & Dean, a fan of Sunshine Pop/popsike, surf music or mid-sixties poprock generally, I think this is probably the must-have release of 2010.

It's the best sixties release/re-release I've heard in years. A Rhino home-run in every sense, including mastering that shouldn't, at least I would think shouldn't ruffle SH forum member feathers. I think an excellent job overall was done on both the mono and stereo mastering. I wish I could get a pack of Fan Tan somewhere. Does anyone remember what it tasted like?

Dale

7. Probably Tom Bahler who did most of the lead vocals on Carnival Of Sound

Fan Tan was discontinued a long time ago. It was supposed to taste very perfumy.

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I wonder what the base flavor was...a fruit, a spice, or some combination?

Dale

9. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Yes, I did receive the set. While I was familiar with a few major Jan & Dean 1960's surf music hits, ironically, the only Jan & Dean CD that I had in my collection before this set was a clone of an unofficial "Carnival of Sound" CD. Obviously, Rhino have done a fine job on the music, sound & presentation. Jan Berry's stamp on the production was so unmistakable, that even with session vocalists replacing himself and Dean, that it still SOUNDS like Jan & Dean. Did Jan Berry record much subsequent music, or were these his final recordings?

10. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

There were a handful of Jan Berry releases in the early 70s on Lou Adler's Ode label, even one where Jan does a duo with Brian Wilson on "Doncha Just Know It" IIRC.

He also did a well regarded (by fans) cassette release in the 80s called "Ocean Park Angel" and one more full album release on CD some time later -- in the 90s. Haven't heard that one.

Go over to Mark Moore's Jan Berry website -- He's got an extensive, well researched discography up.

Dale

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

One of my favorite Jan Berry productions is his 1977 solo single "Little Queenie" - great strings on that. Also like the follow up to that single and the B-side "How-How I Love Her".

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Just listening to the 70s stuff again... forgot how good "Tinsel Town" is.

The various 70s singles are available for download on iTunes and other download services - under the title Fun City. Shame that they're all vinyl transfers but still worth getting for the handful of great tracks like "Totally Wild", "Tinsel Town", "Little Queenie", "Sing Sang Song" and a few others. Just don't expect good sound.

Oh and the album from the 90s was Second Wave. Check out "Love Her Tonight" from that. Great little song:

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Wave-J...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268499057&sr=1-3

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got a couple of Jan Berry singles from the '70s ... haven't played 'em since then! I think they're on A&M Records, IIRC ...,

14. Leo K

Leo K Forum Resident

Hi Jon!

Well, I continue to be amazed at this set...each new listen opens more doors.
    So glad I have the LP set...looks sooooo great next to my Save For A Rainy Day!!!

:goodie:

15. I think I have almost all of Jan & Dean's post Carnival songs in some form or another. They vary from ordinary to extraordinary. "Ocean Park Angel" is magic.

16. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

I also ordered the vinyl/cd set and received the exact same Grateful Dead cd set instead. Serious problems at their current fulfillment center. Customer service sounded like it was also outsourced to India. Hopefully it will be straightened out but frustrating. Second screw up with Rhino h=the past 4 months.

17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I'd really like to order this...I'm a little concerned about getting the Grateful Dead set instead though.

One question...is the LP/CD version the one to get...or just the plain CD?

I currently don't do vinyl...though one day I suspect I will....I'm mainly interested in the package/presentation. It's only 25 bux more for the limited deluxe set...and if it's much better, I'd rather just get that.

Any thoughts on the versions?

18. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

The packaging is wonderful on the deluxe. I haven't listened to the vinyl yet, except for a bit of the first track. The vinyl is the mono mix only, while the CD contains both the stereo and mono mixes as well as bonus cuts. If you're a core fan, you'd probably want the deluxe, but if you're a casual fan the CD alone would probably do. Though the mono mix is 'original', I love the stereo mix and it's only on the CD.

Dale

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wow, I figured the screw-up with my order (receiving the Grateful Dead CD) was just a fluke. Anyone know if the Rhino customer service phone number is toll free from Canada? I'm getting ignored by their email customer service. :realmad:

20. Pants Party

Thanks. I'm certainly a hardcore Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fanatic and have been listening to the surf and turf stuff since I could crawl. As for J&D, I have the excellent Liberty Singles set, but that's it...on CD anyway.

i suspect the CD is just a digipak..?? Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit that I like packaging or presentation! :righton: I think I'll spring for the $49.98 LP/CD set...

By the way...is it free shipping, or is Rhino gonna bone me with the $.02 under the $50-free-shipping game?

21. Pants Party

Yeah, that's what I mean...looks like several folks got shafted on this order. They must have similar stock numbers or something.

I had an issue with my LA Nuggets set (great set by the way...it's got FAN TAN on it...which is why I'm here posting in this thread now!), and the 'outsourced' customer service dude was useless. Technically, having bought it at a Borders, the one missing CD wasn't Rhino's problem....or was it?

:thumbsdn:

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Not free shipping.

23. Pants Party

Thanks Mark.

Boo Rhino. That's two Boos for each penny shy. :thumbsdn::thumbsdn:

24. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Some of the mono mixes are different on the lp.

25. El Toro Rojo

El Toro Rojo Member

Throw a 99¢ digital track in your cart and BAM! Free Shipping. $4.00 savings and an MP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.