Revival Audio Atalante 5...my take

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mreeter, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Joon78

Joon78 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

In fact, room is smaller than 30m2. (about 20m2). Even I understand A5 will be overkill, but I'd like to try out non-bookshelf ones. Something big one like A5 :)
    If I have to go smaller one... then fyne vintage classic 8 sm would be my marginal line.

Thanks! It seems 404 works great at the low volume!

struggler and jonwoody like this.
  2. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Don’t count the A3 out. My room is 13x13 and they are perfect. I wouldn’t call them bookshelf they are bigger in person.

Rick58, mreeter and jonwoody like this.
  3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I've experienced the A3's in a friends room. They are an excellent (heavy) build, the sound is superb and the scale is very good. Close your eyes and they defy their size, and an easier load for the Amp as well.

You might also look into the new Atalante 4, Taylor @GoldprintAudio states that they would be a good choice is a small/medium space.

4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I’m sure they all sound great, but those dome midranges … :drool: :drool: :drool: :righton: :angel: :winkgrin:

jonwoody likes this.
  5. mreeter

The A5 does have it's advantages, that 12" Bass Driver coupled with the Dome Midrange and a sweet Tweeter, it's kinda like a sore Johnson " You can't hardly beat it" :winkgrin:

6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

How is it possible I've never heard that before. :laugh:

5-String, Rick58, Glmoneydawg and 2 others like this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Gotta love that room, so inviting. :righton:

struggler, mreeter and jonwoody like this.
  8. mreeter

Happy to have thrown something new at you Jon :winkgrin:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

:biglaugh: :laughup: :laughup: :laughup: :evil:

Slippers-on, jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  10. struggler

struggler Well-Known Member

Its Chameleon Racks, Greek Distributor of Revival. From him i bought my speakers, Indeed amazing room

11. cdfan

cdfan Active Member

What is the improvement from AQ rocket 88 to SR foundation SX? Thanks.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

A balanced review here giving the pros and cons of the Atalante 5. Reviewer was not so impressed with the stands re price but recons they are essential.

Revival Audio Atalante 5 Loudspeakers | Hifi Pig

I'm waiting on impressions on the new Leak Sandwhich 250 which has an 11" bass driver for half the price. Unfortunately they were not demoing them at the time I visited IAG room at Bristol.

[​IMG]

james, jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  13. Dpw78

Dpw78 Well-Known Member

I was ready to throw the towel in with these speakers , started off really impressed and then was starting to feel the NAD M33 and the ATALANTE 5’s just wasn’t a good mix….was sounding really bland and listening to music which I do daily felt like a chore.

perhaps it’s taken a while for the speakers to ‘break in’ but the sound is now amazing , I’m in complete awe

playing Pink Floyd ‘comfortably numb’ you can hear the whole mix , everything is spaced out and the sound coming over across the room is HUGE …soundstage on point

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

hopefully @Cupids_bow will answer but I currently have SR Foundation (original version) which replaced AP Oval 12 (actually then Morrow SP4) ... on Lintons ... I THINK there's a bit more clarity which could be just from the silver/copper of the Foundations vs. all copper of the others. Wow, the SR are less $$$ than the Rocket 88.

cdfan and jonwoody like this.
  15. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

You are correct there's more clarity. And openness, I wasn't hearing the holographic sound stage with the 88's but it's there now. The details are more pronounced. When I told my Mc dealer I was using the 88's he practically beat me over the head with the SR Foundation and told me I could return them for a full refund if I didn't like them, he said the SR matches perfectly with my set up.
    And yes, they cost less than the 88 which is the cherry on top.

cdfan, Rick58, jonwoody and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dpw78

Dpw78 Well-Known Member

I’m using Atlas Hyper 3.5 , they sound great with my setup

jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  17. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I honestly read that review a bit differently his issue with the stands was just that he had to assemble them. But given the fact that shipping assembled stands would add substantially to shipping costs this is a silly complaint.

His other "quibble" is really very silly also the size of the speakers. It's not like Revival is hiding the size of these they are made for bigger rooms and the Atlante 3 is there for folks with smaller rooms.

It honestly reads like a rave and reinforces what a great value these speakers are. Also I had somehow missed that they ship with a raised bottom lip in front for those not using stands what a thoughtful touch.

Cupids_bow and mreeter like this.
  18. mreeter

My A5's took every bit of 150-200 hours to fully come on song. You are swimming in warm waters after they are fully ripened ;)

The Leaks get high marks on looks alone :agree:

Dpw78, Cupids_bow and jonwoody like this.
  19. SBaradaran

SBaradaran Forum Resident

A little too blingy for my tastes! I like the more understated mid century vibe of the Atalante and Wharfedales.

mreeter, Mark Fritcher and jonwoody like this.
  20. mreeter

I do as well, while they are a little blingy :D I usually close my eyes when I'm in the zone :winkgrin:

I think the Usher AU-50 is a gorgeous Speaker, I'd love to hear these one day :agree:
    [​IMG]

rischa, SBaradaran and jonwoody like this.
  21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Cool! Getting a little off-topic here I guess, but a year or more ago I was looking to get a little more soundstage depth, etc.. I thought that maybe changing my interconnect between preamp and amp would be a good place to try something. I had read that a Cardas particular type was optimized for this sort of thing.

I contacted CableCo to look into getting a loaner, in those discussions, they recommended the SR foundation. It was more money, but I decided to give it a try with the loaner. The moment I started listening, it totally blew me away with the increase in clarity, perception of better imaging in space, all those wonderful things. I immediately ordered a new one.

then later, I decided to get the foundation speaker cable just to complete the “loom”. I think it sounded better than the other ones I had had in there, but it wasn’t quite as dramatic of a change. Although it preserved everything I was hearing. Maybe it did further increase the sense of space and solidity of the imaging.

PS: hopefully in a couple of years, I can spring for the fives, and I am anticipating that they will show me the improvements over my present speakers, as well as preserving all the good things about my system that I enjoy.

jonwoody and Cupids_bow like this.
  22. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Blingy? No way from were I sit! Those are simply beautiful ! Not blingy at all! But while on the subject of bling.....what's wrong with a little bling any ways?

Rick58, jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  23. mreeter

I think the 'blingy' reference was toward the Leak 250

[​IMG]

not the Ushers, I think they are stunning :agree:

Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Oh..yeah the Ushers are stunning! the Leaks dont look blingy too me but look a little like they tried too hard.

So whats up with you guys voting down that tax? You guys got people here in STL saying the chiefs moving to the STL to get new digs. I've told them fools they are just that..Fools if they thinking Chiefs moving here.

jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  25. mreeter

The Vote was only held in Jackson County, where the Stadiums are located. The Chiefs are wanting to see the Royals move to another location in Downtown, so they can take over the whole complex. Add a large entertainment area outside the Stadium. At the last minute the Chiefs joined the Royals owner to get their backing on the Ballet, trying to get the Voters on board.

Jackson Co. voters had different ideas. I believe their thought of paying for a new Stadium so a Billionaire can make more money, didn’t set well. At least that’s the way I understand it.

Last I heard the Governor of Kansas is negotiating with the Chiefs for a new home in KC Kansas. I don’t think the Hunt family will be going anywhere soon, Arrowhead has too much history just to tear it down.

Rick58 and jonwoody like this.