Revival Audio Atalante 5...my take

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mreeter, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Bobble

Bobble Forum Resident

Just did using email for inquiries found on their web site. There no Phone number on the site I saw.

Rick58 likes this.
  2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I know Matt at Pitch Perfect and Common Wave are both dealers in CA. Not sure if there's anyone else.

mreeter and Cupids_bow like this.
  3. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Got my 3’s from Matt at Pitch Perfect iirc he’s in the Palm Desert area @Bobble
    He’s a good guy to deal with.
    [email protected]

4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Huh … I got a reply from [email protected]

Jonathan Halpern
    Tone Imports LLC
    www.toneimports.com

mreeter and jonwoody like this.
  5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd guess the size of the A5 Woofer to be the size of a bloated Soccer Ball, falls a little short in size, but has great stamina when it counts :winkgrin:

jonwoody likes this.
  6. Bobble

Bobble Forum Resident

Thanks and also to @Cupids_bow. Was looking for someone closer than 2 to 3 hour drive to hear these. If I haven't made a purchase by Sept I'll be out that way, Palm Desert, then and will stop in if time permits.

GoldprintAudio, Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  7. Bobble

Bobble Forum Resident

Thanks he replied, all the dealers are pretty far from me so that's a drag but oh well.

GoldprintAudio, Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  8. Bobble

Bobble Forum Resident

If I could ask, are you driving these with your Sprout? I base that on the other speakers in your profile seemingly better matched to your McIntosh. I run a Rogue Sphinx and looking for synergy with Class D amplification. Thanks.

9. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Man that's a crazy good book they have so many brands I love and/or respect or have heard great things about!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  10. jonwoody

You know it's amazing you can check these things a regulation NBA basketball is between 9.43 and 9,51 inches so much smaller than an Atlante 5 woofer. ;)

Rick58 and mreeter like this.
  11. jonwoody

Hey Bobble in all seriousness in the high end audio world these days 2-3 hours does count as close. Sorry to say that but perhaps you can make a fun outing out of it.

12. SBaradaran

SBaradaran Forum Resident

Yes, using the high level inputs. No high pass, have crossovers and gains set on the subs. You can my equipment in my profile. I think the integration is pretty good. Its very hard to tell when the subs are even playing. Mostly hearing the differences in electronic music with subsonic bass. James Blake as an artist especially. Sometimes a really well recorded kick drum will hit me in the chest harder:

Here are some example songs:
    For kick drum: Big Thief - Change
    For electronic: James Blake - Big Hammer

I will say the speakers alone do a good job with these songs without the subs. But my seating position has a bass suckout around 30-35hz so using the subs to try to correct it.

13. Cupids_bow

The 3’s are a great match for tubes I’m driving them with the two McIntosh Mc 275’s in bridged mono and they sound fantastic. Btw Matt shipped the speakers to me which saved me a trip to Palm Desert.

mreeter, Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

When I asked them who the nearest dealer was I had a response direct from a dealer, the same day.
    That dealer is about 5 hours away but luckily I’ll be down in that area next month so plan to visit him.

jonwoody, mreeter and Rick58 like this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Nice !!! I see you (might) use SR Foundation speaker cables, which I also use between my Parasound A 21 and Lintons. (Watching this thread as A5s may be in my future!)

I’d highly recommend balanced Foundation ICs … maybe just the silver vs. copper, but they really blew me away compared to the also excellent AP
    Copper Oval-In Micro XLR Interconnect …

PS I just got another set of “NOS” ones from CableCo, SR released a new version so these were $400/pair instead of $650 or whatever the new ones went to (were $600 when I got my first set).

Edit: @Cupids_bow I got the NOS ones thru UsedCable.com … they don’t have the 1m ones at this time … :(

I put the new ones between my DAC and pre … didn’t notice as big a difference since I had silvers in there before.

PPS: Ack! Foundation XSs are $700 …

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    jonwoody, mreeter and Cupids_bow like this.
  16. Cupids_bow

Thanks :) My first choice were the 5's, I was following Mike's @mreeter review of them with great interest since I was in the market for speakers. However, upon speaking with Matt at Pitch Perfect and gave him my room dimensions (13x13) he suggested the 3's might be a better fit and if I didn't like them I could swap them out for the 5's. Well, he was spot on. The 3's are perfect for my small man cave. I couldn't be happier.

Yeah love the SR Foundation cables they sound so sweet with my A3's. :agree: That said I'll check out their ICs appreciate the heads up.

17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

the ICs are pure silver, at least the original versions. I think silver gives a clarity / resolution that is amazing, but could be a bit too much in some cases. It was “just the ticket” my system needed. (I didn’t know I “needed” it really, until the guy at CableCo recommended them upon my inquiry. He was right!)

IIRC there was an increase in detail and a bit more “there” in terms of soundstage space and palpability.

Of course at this level (to me anyway) a 20% better sound costs 2x as much. $325 to $600 for the AP to SR IC … yep, seems about right!!

PS: if you’re interested I’d keep an eye on UsedCable.com … or your favorite used cable/gear site.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    jonwoody and Cupids_bow like this.
  18. struggler

struggler Well-Known Member

How do you clean drivers from dust? , I'm thinking to use swifer, I believe it can't damage the surface, especially the mid/tweeter.

Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  19. jonwoody

Swiffer is a good call a paintbrush can also work just be very careful obviously.

struggler, Rick58 and avanti1960 like this.
  20. struggler

[​IMG]

I want it to share it, in case you don't watch revival next listener on Fb.
    Interesting interior, just can't spot the right bass reflex behind mid, of its the glass that the photo isn't very clear

SBaradaran, jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  21. Joon78

Joon78 Well-Known Member

Hi all

I’m a newbie here. I decided to go with A5, but haven’t decided with amp yet.

my room is relatively small so I need something that can sound well even at the low volume. I’m looking for less fatiguing, warm yet clear with good texture.

Amps in my mind are:
    MA252
    Copland CSA 150
    Unison Research Unico Due or S6 (enough power?)
    vintage C34v + MC2155
    Moon River 404

please shed some light here.

thanks

22. struggler

I have Moonriver 404 reference and I must tell you that is a great combo and play fully in low volumes. I think my previous klipsch rf35 (98db) was fuller in low volumes, but atalante is mooore organic better timbre better bass. I think you must hear the amp with the speaker, dont buy by luck or by our opinions.

mreeter, jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

WELCOME! to a lifetime of audiophilia!

How small is room? Possibly the A5 is too big? Or not optimal anyway. I don’t know how to tell you that, but maybe someone can comment.

I also can’t tell you what amp to use, but can’t help thinking the MA252 would be a good choice.

jonwoody likes this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welcome :wave:

Room size is key in acquiring Speakers, the Revival Audio specs on the Atalante 5's call for a 30 to 60m2 room. If your room is on the closer to the 30m2, I would opt for the Atalante 3's. If closer to 60m2, the A5's would get the call.

The rating specs on the A5's is a little deceiving as they are easier to drive than what the numbers would imply. A solid Amplifier with around 100 wpc should power either models quite well.

Best of luck on your quest for good sound, the Revival Lineup can provide just that :agree:

jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  25. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

for we Americans that’s 323 to 646 ft.².

My main area is somewhat square 18 feet on a side so that’s just barely above the minimum. But the whole area is 18 x 24 putting it at 432 ft.² plus a couple of alcoves so the volume is a bit bigger. OH and well treated, so it should sound bigger. I now believe room treatment is a major key to getting good sound.

so I would go for the 5s … :cool: :winkgrin: :love: :drool: :D

mreeter and jonwoody like this.