Reviews: Grateful Dead Road Trips and other vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

2. I gave RT 3-1 a listen again, it was a lot better than I remembered. Consistently strong throughout the entire show. Great bonus disc as well with Scarlet>Fire>Let It Grow.

Listened to RT 2-3 again as well. My favourite China Cat>Rider and a great Morning Dew on the bonus disc. But the rest of the stuff is just too far out for me. But then 1974 Dead has never really been my cup of tea.

3. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

5. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

You don't think the cigar box packaging and other "goodies" they might be throwing into the box add to the cost?

I agree it probably should be closer to $40 to $50... but still - I have to have them.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

8. dcscott

I would rather have a download.............Oh Yeah, we Canadians aren't allowed to download from Dead.net. I really don't need a wooden cigar box. The discs and a 24 page booklet would do.

9. dcscott

:agree:

10. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Not strictly true, although it marked the first show of the single drummer period, between Feb '71 and Oct '74; Mickey had missed a couple of shows prior to this date, to my knowledge - 11/1/68 and then again on 5/14/70 (as immortalised now on RT3.3).

Whilst Mickey only made the first show of that Port Chester run (and spent the next few days in a hypnotist-assisted sleep!), I think that the band probably felt for at least the remainder of that run that he might come back when he felt better - it just took him three and a half years to do so!

11. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The reason for this is that the tapes for the missing batch of Summer '71 shows found their way to the GD Vault in two separate batches - the Houseboat Tapes included 8/7/71, 8/24/71, 8/14-15/71 amongst others, but only contained the final reel from set 2 of 8/6/71 (and also remember that the liner notes for DP35 said the tape boxes for Yale Bowl held blank reels!!). DP35 was issued in 2005, from tapes found on the houseboat.

A second batch of Summer '71 show masters then appeared a year or two later - this included the real Yale Bowl reels, Chicago 8/23/71, Fillmore East 4/25/71 and the missing Set 1 of 8/6/71. It was from this collection that RT1.3 was compiled in 2008.

Hindsight now suggests that there was a missed opportunity to put out 8/6/71 complete - I prefer to look at the positive and appreciate the fact that we've got SEVEN discs of material released from this period in the last 5 years where, if it had all shown up at once, we probably would have ended up with 3 or 4 at the most.

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I have to say when I got the email I didn't have even the faintest urge to order either one. I was hoping for Winterland '74. Maybe next year.

13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

A show I really like in particular from that time frame is 10-24-1971 Detroit, Eastown Theater. Great sound quality, great performance, great venue (so I've heard)!

psubliminal likes this.
  14. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The most frustrating thing about the Hampton box? The GD recorded those shows in Dolby SR because they didn't think 16/44.1 digital was good enough sound. So today, when any number of other groups (e.g., Phish, String Cheese Incident, Hot Tuna, Porcupine Tree, Steve Kimock Band) offer 24/48 or 24/96 downloads of live shows, these (probably) great sounding Dolby SR reels are put out in ...16/44.1

16. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

Almost $100 for nine discs and I would have to pick up more plastic cases to actually keep them in. I'll think about it.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The Winterland '73 and '77 were $100 for ten CD sets, and the typical RT is about $25 with a bonus. So the cost per disc for these two newest releases seems consistent pricing. What can I expect from the 1989 shows? Truckin to Buffalo, Terrapin Station and Nightfall are all excellent. The Warlocks should be that good?

18. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!:righton:

19. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I am sort of intrigued by the two new 80's releases but will probably hold off since there is much other Dead I still need to get. Still, they look like solid releases and I'm sure the sound is stellar on both!

20. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

If you like the other '89 releases (Buffalo, JFK, Nightfall), 10/8/89 show is consistently good and the 10/9/89 is EPIC. Here is the track list:

DISC 1
    1. Foolish Heart
    2. Walkin' Blues
    3. Candyman
    4. Me and My Uncle
    5. Big River
    6. Stagger Lee
    7. Queen Jane Approximately
    8. Bird Song
    9. Promised Land

DISC 2
    1. Help On The Way
    2. Slipknot!
    3. Franklin's Tower
    4. Victim or the Crime
    5. Eyes of the World
    6. Rhythm Devils

DISC 3
    1. Space>
    2. I Need A Miracle
    3. The Wheel
    4. Gimme Some Lovin'
    5. Morning Dew
    6. We Bid You Goodnight

DISC 4
    1. Feel Like A Stranger
    2. Built To Last
    3. Little Red Rooster
    4. Ramble On Rose
    5. We Can Run
    6. Jack-A-Roe
    7. Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again
    8. Row Jimmy
    9. The Music Never Stopped

DISC 5
    1. Playing In The Band
    2. Uncle John's Band
    3. Playing In The Band
    4. Dark Star
    5. Rhythm Devils

DISC 6
    1. Space
    2. Death Don't Have No Mercy
    3. Dear Mr. Fantasy
    4. Hey Jude
    5. Throwing Stones
    6. Good Lovin'
    7. Attics of My Life

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Those set lists are *fantastic*. Somebody please tell me these shows suck before I loosen my wallet!!

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

my own feeling, already expressed, is that these are essential shows, but this release should be boycotted for sound quality reasons. Take advantage of the internet and get one of the freely available DAT SBD or AUD or MTX versions.

24. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

10/9/89 is an EPIC show for the ages. It's in my top ten shows of all time and probably in most Deadheads Top 20. After a consistently excellent first set the band launches into the outer limits. The X factor.

I've heard good soundboard and audience recordings (the audience is great for the crowd's reaction to Dark Star) and I can't wait for an officially relased and mastered version. The Post Space segment features a chilling "Death Don't Have No Mercy" as well as a great "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Attics" encore. The Help>Slip>Franklin's and Morning Dew from 10/8 are highlights as well.

September 7 - I can't wait!

Taylor16 likes this.
  25. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

Never heard the 1980 shows that are going to be on the new RT's so I'm looking forward to that.

I have the 10/8-9/89 in my Itunes ...... but I also picked up the box set as well. Might as well support the Dead organization as well as Rhino.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.