REVIEW: my new Spin-Clean

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

spin clean

I just ordered one of these.

All of my vinyl are albums I bought years ago or recent purchases from yard sales or local thrift shops in the $10.00 and under range.

I think some people are disappointed in the results because they are confusing "dirty records" with records that have groove damage. Those clicks and pops will not go away no matter how clean they are.

I hope this is a great product. I could see why people who have thousands in a vinyl set up would want to purchase a Vpi or Nitty Gritty cleaning machine. But the vinyl I buy and my system does not justify that.

The Spin Clean should be fine for me. :thumbsup:

Note some of my comments are modified from a post above.

2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Mine should arrive any day, and I'll be interested in checking out the results. Thanks to Pope V for the tip regarding Insound's sale price and the coupon code! :righton:

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

True, these tiny hairline scratches that are barely noticeable are a major culprit of pops and clicks. Unfortunately there is nothing to do about it, no matter how much you clean the records.

4. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

Yes but is this the original cheaper version, or the new "MKII" with the improved rubber rollers, etc...?

Neither the Insound picture or description mentioned/pictured the "new" or MKII" version.

Perhaps old-stock is the reason for the price difference...?

:wave:

5. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I ordered a new MK II via Amazon/Audio Advisor and the label sticker on the yellow reservoir does say MK II. Otherwise it all looks identical to what the guy is using in the demo video (his doesn't say MK II so I assume he has the original version).

Rubber rollers? Mine appear to be black plastic. And, the brushes which arrived already placed in the machine look like the ones in the demo video.

I'm wondering if this is essentially a MK I system with just a MK II label stuck on it?

6. Really? Oh no. :sigh:

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I bought what was one of the last of the MKI's. The rollers appear to be the new type because they are screwed together instead of glued together.

8. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

All in all, I like this machine.... despite feeling it's overpriced. I like how clean the LPs look afterward and having all cleaning contained to this thing instead of a big plastic dish drain has a big WAF. Also, I like the way the LPs play after cleaning. Results vary, but, from what I'm seeing and hearing here, I am liking vinyl more and more. So, I guess I'm satisfied.

I think it would be great to send the cleaned LPs straight to a vacuum machine for the final touch. Anyways, fun stuff...

9. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

10. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Slightly off-topic here's an Aussie guy who was on our ABC show 'The New Inventors' in March 2010 with a bit of a different take on this. A substance that you wipe on and then peel off like a face mask! It's seems to work - he said they spent 4 years working on it - but wonder if I can use PVA adhesive or my tea-tree face mask instead? :) Doubt it haha..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8G2veq5PE&feature=related

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

You might laugh. Products for peeling dirt of disks are 20+ years old, they come and go.

You might want to put 'cleaning wood glue' into the forum search box..

12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

+1

My order's in as well... thanks!

13. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Can anyone that ordered from Insound verify they got the MKII? I'm thinking about giving this a shot. I'm paying way too much for someone to transfer my vinyl to CD and getting wildly varied results to boot.

14. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I think 'wood glue' is PVA isn't it? I still reckon my tea-tree peel off face mask would work well. And anti-bacterial/fungal as well hahaha :)

15. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

I just ordered one of these from insound as well using the promo code provided...it was listed as "backordered", however. Any body else have this experience? Hopefully they will get it in stock & ship my order soon so I can put this bad boy to the test.

16. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Yes, wood glue is PVA. You can find 'how to' videos on youtube too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61k5UAWev8

17. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Mine just arrived - MKII it is... :righton:

18. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Has any one else ordered from insound while they had the "Spin Clean" on "back order"? I guess maybe they are just in-demand right now and they're waiting on a shipment.

19. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I ordered mine at the end of last week and it shipped on Monday. I hope that they get new stock in soon. I told the owners of my two favorite indie shops about it and they both seem to get one for use in their stores.

Glad to hear that the units shipped from insound are MkII models.

Cheers,
    Chris

20. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

Cool!

Enjoy...!!! :righton:

:wave:

21. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

After placing my order without insound, I emailed their distributor (2 Channel Distribution) and got this message:

It is hard to say for sure how long the wait will be as I am experiencing the same supply situation from the manufacturer. This product has encountered amazing response coupled with some early problems at the manufacturing level which have left us with a staggering number of backorders. As we get product in, we try to allocate some to each dealer that has an open order so that every one has a chance to at least get some.

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Has anyone tried using the Spin Clean fluid to hand wash or wash with an RCM? The literature claims that's the "secret weapon". It seems it might be more economical to just buy the fluid than to spend $70 on a plastic tub. . .

23. UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder Forum Resident

I was going to order a Spin Clean, but I'm opting for the KAB-EV1. At $159, it far less expensive than a full-blown RCM, yet the vacuum ability is present. Wonder how the Spin Clean fluid would work with a KAB-EV1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkeUW7kxuM

24. For those having problems finding Spin Cleans in stock, I ordered mine through Audio Advisor via Amazon (I like the extra layer of buyer protection Amazon provides). You can call Audio Advisor to see if they have them in stock at 616-254-8870.

25. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

The only reason I ordered from insound is because of the GREAT price...$60.98 including shipping. That's $20 less than the Spin Clean site offers...and that's not counting their additional shipping charges. I just hope they actually get some more in...since the demand seems so high right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.