Residents fans! A rare look at the '70's studio!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Yup. "Our Tired.."is the best way to start.
    The Mute re-issues have been REALLY COOL, esp."Duck Stab" & "Eskimo": they both come with a sweet book-let.
    If this depression keeps up, I may have to go all "EBAY" on my collection, containing all the UWEB CD's and the Ralph America collection! The RA collection is about 27 CD's, each had only 1000 copies made!

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Thanks. Sorry you may have to sell your stuff.

I actually picked up Duck Stab last night. I know some of that material already and its very interesting. What's with the photos inside though? It says they are from a 1972 photo session but it looks like some sort of show.

Emusic had a lot of their material and I grabbed Not Available and Mark of the Mole. I actually like that thematic stuff better than their short songs. Not Available is creepy and that piano is so effective.

3. vince

Hellofa good job they did 'cleaning' that one. My origonal ESD was so murky and hissy, I thought it would NEVER sound as good as it does now!:thumbsup:

4. Third Reich and Roll is one of my top-20 all-time discs. I have it four times over (vinyl reissue w/ "Why do the Residents hate the Beatles?" back cover notes, original CD w/ bonus tracks, remastered edition, and Mute edition in hardback book).

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Not to turn this into an audiophile thread on the Residents but that's my only problem with the Duck Stab disc. It's too noise free. There is literally no hiss or any other noise - can't imagine that those were pristine recordings. Not saying it sounds bad just maybe a tad unnatural - if there is such a thing for a Residents recording. :D

6. vince

Same here! (vinyl re-issue, ESD, Euro-Ralph w/ new cover, and MUTE CD). :agree:

7. One of my Holy Grail discs: the marble vinyl boxed edition of this LP. Only 30 copies made, essentially unobtainable. :mad:

8. The Residents were wack! Interesting video; where's the big eyeballs? ha

9. vince

Weren't MADE YET!!!
    That's what make this 'thing' so special!
    Big 'ups' to whoever slapped this on YouTube !

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I haven't heard any of the recent remasters, but have most of the ones w/ the extras. I was just listening to The Commercial Album the other day. In addition to being one of my favorite albums of the The Residents, the extra tracks on that disc are wonderful.

Doug

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Double WOW!!! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvRA1QjDLE&feature=user

Same woman who posted the movie has posted a slide show with great shots of Hardy, Homer and Jay. The captions only appear for a fraction of a second but most of the shots are of Hardy (nerdy guy with glasses and the guy with the sun glasses and funky side burns from the Vileness Fats movie). Homer is in one shot at a sink or an art table at about 48 seconds in. Jay is easy to spot from the previously posted movie but he is in the very last shot. The guy with the long hair and mustache is Bill Reinhert who apparently made the film and was a friend of the Residents.

Now I'm curious... this interview is with "Homer Flynn" but it looks like Hardy now that I've seen those photos of him. Am I wrong and this is really Homer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwLXPEYZi2M

EDIT: NEVER MIND. That interview is definitely Homer.

Also.. be sure to watch that slide show in "high quality" and full screen. Amazing!!!

12. Yeah - I think this was acknowledged in part of the clip not included here. I actually taped it at the time, and (as one of the YouTube comments notes) it was prefaced by a segment where the Residents are rushed into the MuchMusic studios under heavy security, in a parody of a studio visit from members of DuranDuran the previous week. Whereas the latter were mobbed, the streets were barren for the Residents, aside from the one guy who you can see in the clip getting his copy of Duck Stab/Buster and Glen signed.

Funny to note too that the interview is done by one Christopher Ward, who was also a very commercial songwriter who wrote "Black Velvet" for Alannah Myles.

13. vince

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes, that's very cool footage. You can get quick glimpses of Hardy and Homer if you pause it just right. In the first few seconds Hardy takes his Eye off. Later you see Homer to the right as one of the crew wipes the camera off.

15. Man, looking at the stuff linked to in thread, it's almost like seeing office party photos from the firm Jandek work(s/ed) at.

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

18. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Anyone here ever heard the pre-"santa dog" records- "b*by s*x" and "warner brothers album"...the original not remix...?

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The original Warners album is out there on the net. I tried to listen but it didn't do much for me.

20. vince

Yeah... funny home recordings.
    At least you could still hear 'the old piano' AND 'the singing Resident' on 'em, though.
    Both 'WB" & "BS" are somewhere in BitTorrent world.

21. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Wow...these are great pics/videos. I just KNOW these are they, as it were. I love how normal they look. Doesn't take away from the mystique at all.

22. daverw

daverw Forum Resident

I have to agree that this is some really great stuff. I've been a fan for about fifteen years and love seeing things like this.

23. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I find it funny that everyone knows that Homer and Hardy are the Residents but yet they're still considered "anonymous". That documentary has interviews with both guys.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Warner Bros Album isn't my cup of tea. However, I DO like the RMX version a lot. B*b* S*x is another story; this really should be released. it has a lot of fun tracks, many of them featuring the late great Snakefinger. Cantaten to der Dyin Prunen in particular is a great track. Aside from the title/cover issue (they could release it with another title/cover, right?) I can't see why this thing remains shelved. I've read two reasons that are somewhat unsatisfactory IMHO. First, they don't like the early recordings much because they have a sound that don't represent them. I don't see why these recordings don't and, say, Meet the Residents does. Second, the official start of The Residents under that name was in '72, so all recordings before that are simply NOT The Residents. Fine, but a lot of tracks were released on hard-to-get compilations that are from '71 (and even one from '69 supposedly).

FWIW, the tracks that WERE released from this early tape are King Kong, a short excerpt from Cantaten, Something Devilish and the complete Hallowed be thy Ween, so there IS something out there, just not the whole album.

25. vince

And, besides...THEY are not really on 'good terms' with Snakefinger's daughter. I think she has tried to sue THEM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.