Replacements - Original Album Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whistle, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

"Unsatisfied," "Sixteen Blue," "Here Comes a Regular," "Achin' To Be," "Sadly Beautiful" … those are my favorite songs by them. I saw them put on one of their legendary drunk shows at the Cat's Cradle circa 83/84 and haven't seen a band in a club rock that hard since, but that couldn't be sustained forever, as subsequent events proved. I'm glad they grew up. There's not a song on Don't Tell A Soul that I don't like.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hard to beat the original version, but yeah, the Mats' cover is pretty damn good. Jim Lea was obviously a big influence on Tommy.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thought I'd just bump this thread since there is all this great discussion on Mats bonus tracks and what is so great about them.

There are also some Mats cassettes that have recently been unearthed. I've been listening to early mastering samples, and am floored by the performances. There is a 1985 show that previously circulated, but this should be a sound upgrade (different tapper), or fresher transfer not sure, and then there is a 1986 recording that I have never seen listed in trading circles at all, this might be the first appearance of that 1986 show. Both LA dates. Don't ask where they can be found.

I consider 1985 and 1986 to be a special turning point for the Mats, the era when they became rock legends.

4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Is one of the gigs at The Palace? That was a fantastic show. They came out in pajamas and basically were fantastic. Great, great show, in a pretty cool little theater.

5. TraneLives

TraneLives Active Member

I'd rather have the bonus tracks but I scored a used copy that was perfect, and I mean perfect, for 6.99, so no complaints here.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, these are the Roxy. The May 1986 show I can find no record of previously.

7. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Is the '86 date from the Roxy? My old group was the support act on that show.

Edit: you beat me to it. May 1st at the Roxy. Replacements, Blow-Up and Thelonious Monster. One of Bob's last gigs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.